Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:59:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling Ad Space  (Read 984 times)
tkbx (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 10:41:24 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2013, 01:00:43 AM by tkbx

I'm starting a bitcoin (and other cryptocurrency) related site, and I'm hoping to sell some ad space on it. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you some info, screenshots, etc about the site before it launches, and you tell me what kind of ads you'd like on it, and what you'd like to pay, and see if we can agree on something.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 12:59:06 AM

I'm starting a bitcoin (and other cryptocurrency) related site, and I'm hoping to sell some ad space on it. If you're interested, PM me and I can give you some info, screenshots, etc about the site before it launches, and you tell me what kind of ads you'd like on it, and what you'd like to pay, and see if we can agree on something.

Site first, ads later. Get some history and some traffic and you'll have no problem getting advertisers. If nobody gets in touch with you, I'd suggest first starting out with something like anonymous ads or coin url.com. (Stay away from bitcoin advertisers .com)
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:02:48 AM

Site first, ads later. Get some history and some traffic and you'll have no problem getting advertisers. If nobody gets in touch with you, I'd suggest first starting out with something like anonymous ads or coin url.com. (Stay away from bitcoin advertisers .com)
Yeah, I was checking btc advertisers out, and they seemed pretty horrible. Been using coinurl's adfly-type service for a while, and I lie them a bit. I'd prefer individualized ads like I as talking about, but I could use coinurl in the mean time.
helloworld

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:06:08 AM

Yeah, I was checking btc advertisers out, and they seemed pretty horrible. Been using coinurl's adfly-type service for a while, and I lie them a bit. I'd prefer individualized ads like I as talking about, but I could use coinurl in the mean time.

Btc advertisers site isn't particularly bad but it's run by a suspected scammer. Many reports of non-payment and other issues.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:09:23 AM

Use a-ads.com, you get coins on impression not just clicks, but yes you need to prove your site has traffic, and not bs traffic, like traffic that stays on the site for a bit.
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:20:27 AM

Use a-ads.com, you get coins on impression not just clicks, but yes you need to prove your site has traffic, and not bs traffic, like traffic that stays on the site for a bit.
It's similar to those bitcoin address shorteners, but you can have multiple currencies and custom URLs. It's intended for many short visits, not fewer long ones.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:30:05 AM

It's similar to those bitcoin address shorteners, but you can have multiple currencies and custom URLs. It's intended for many short visits, not fewer long ones.

So basically the same idea as my http://qcl.me while I build mine for a side weekend project, it has evolved into much more than that. I can tell you alot of people will be in the camp of "I trust no one", so get ready to deal with that. Also you may want more trust or a verifiable database. Even though I been around for while, and my database is very harden with multiple layers of security and verifiable data, people were still very hesitan to switch to my system. So I hope your ready to debate/fight for your site, but welcome to space. Also someone tried to hack my system already so that is something you should be ready to deal with. (My site of course held up and he didn't get into anything just downloaded some CSS files) I am actually going to be doing a little pivot on my service (coming soon) so I am not too threaten, but this will keep me on my toes now. Good Luck!
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:50:34 AM

So basically the same idea as my http://qcl.me while I build mine for a side weekend project, it has evolved into much more than that. I can tell you alot of people will be in the camp of "I trust no one", so get ready to deal with that. Also you may want more trust or a verifiable database. Even though I been around for while, and my database is very harden with multiple layers of security and verifiable data, people were still very hesitan to switch to my system. So I hope your ready to debate/fight for your site, but welcome to space. Also someone tried to hack my system already so that is something you should be ready to deal with. (My site of course held up and he didn't get into anything just downloaded some CSS files) I am actually going to be doing a little pivot on my service (coming soon) so I am not too threaten, but this will keep me on my toes now. Good Luck!
The data is supposed to be public, why would it matter if it got out?
I've got it set up to include the first 7 characters of a sha-256 hash of the saved data in the URL, and check it against that of the saved data, so if it's modified by a third party, it will raise a red flag. That's the only real danger I see.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:52:13 AM

Btc advertisers site isn't particularly bad but it's run by a suspected scammer. Many reports of non-payment and other issues.

A confirmed scammer, actually.
helloworld

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:53:21 AM

I've got it set up to include the first 7 characters of a sha-256 hash of the saved data in the URL, and check it against that of the saved data, so if it's modified by a third party, it will raise a red flag. That's the only real danger I see.

Don't forget about the data which isn't public, like for example statistical data. Dates/times/IPs?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 01:57:03 AM

The security for so it can't be changed, by me or a 3rd party and verifiable, you can read more at http://qcl.me/faq. Also I wouldn't use the first characters of a sha-256, just incase of collisions, could prove to be a problem.
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:17:49 AM

The security for so it can't be changed, by me or a 3rd party and verifiable, you can read more at http://qcl.me/faq. Also I wouldn't use the first characters of a sha-256, just incase of collisions, could prove to be a problem.
You mean I should use the whole thing?
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:18:16 AM

Don't forget about the data which isn't public, like for example statistical data. Dates/times/IPs?

I keep a hash of the IP in case I need to ban someone, no date/time
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:21:56 AM

You mean I should use the whole thing?

No you just should make sure that no collisions happen, so if your using SQL, just check and then have a plan if those 7 characters sequence has been used before, just use the next 7. This is will be CPU and time intensive as your database grows.
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 02:41:37 AM

No you just should make sure that no collisions happen, so if your using SQL, just check and then have a plan if those 7 characters sequence has been used before, just use the next 7. This is will be CPU and time intensive as your database grows.
What I mean is, say someone provides a bitcoin address of "16USZ9bKHccER5jXQ1LwuR37gPJo5WGXVQ" and a litecoin address of "LdPPUhNk7W7HWSigyczn3awv8HbPzevKvH", leaving namecoin blank. It would hash this:

16USZ9bKHccER5jXQ1LwuR37gPJo5WGXVQ -- LdPPUhNk7W7HWSigyczn3awv8HbPzevKvH -- nil

And reduce it to 7 characters. Say those 7 characters were "6edf9b0", is would then add "?c=6edf9b0" to the url. If no variable "c" is provided, it shows a grey question mark, if "c" is provided and it matches the hash of the the addresses generated when the page loads, it shows a green check, and if "c" is provided and incorrect (the 7 in the URL don't match the 7 generated when the page loads from the addresses in the database, meaning the URL is incorrect or the addresses were modified), it gives a red x. Collisions with another person's URL wouldn't be the problem (it's site.info/url?c=6edf9b0, so the hash doesn't identify the page in any way), collisions with an attacker's injected address would be the problem. It's unlikely with 7 characters, if I increased it to 10 or so it would be much more difficult to attack. Especially since it's salted, unless they can download my raw php file, they would have to use manual trial and error 9,999,999,999 times.
helloworld

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:56:37 AM

Do you use some kind of salt? Otherwise there are only 4 billion hashes to compare against (which wouldn't take long).
tkbx (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:29:37 AM

Do you use some kind of salt? Otherwise there are only 4 billion hashes to compare against (which wouldn't take long).
Yes, it's about 9 characters, is that long enough? Not exactly an expert of cryptography, but it seems like this should be good.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:40:32 AM

Yes, it's about 9 characters, is that long enough? Not exactly an expert of cryptography, but it seems like this should be good.
Yes, if it's randomly generated then it's practically impossible to brute force the salt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: