Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Butterfly Labs (BFL) get a Scammer tag?
Yes - 1005 (80.4%)
No - 245 (19.6%)
Total Voters: 1250

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Should Butterfly Labs (BFL) get a Scammer tag?  (Read 28023 times)
noedaRDH

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 02:03:49 AM

I thought BFL begun shipping like a week ago or something?

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 04:03:54 PM

I thought BFL begun shipping like a week ago or something?
If you come across something with "lab" in its name, RUN! 99.99% of investors in ScamflyLabs will never get their money back!
Sk1llS

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:06:59 PM

Not sure what happened to my post, not sure if I actually posted it  Roll Eyes

I said the admins won't slap the scammer tag on BFL and Inaba because they won't bite the hand that feeds them. BFL pay for advertising:
Code:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206304.msg2228269#msg2228269
Code:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=214520.msg2257451#msg2257451
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 10:02:08 PM

I said the admins won't slap the scammer tag on BFL and Inaba because they won't bite the hand that feeds them. BFL pay for advertising:
Code:
Code:

This is damning of Theymos Sad

More interested in the money than he is in altruism.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 11:24:06 PM

Code:
Code:

Not in the least..

Anyone can put up an advertisement, regardless of who they are, what they've done, or what they're accused of doing.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:48:43 AM

Code:
Code:

Not in the least..

Anyone can put up an advertisement, regardless of who they are, what they've done, or what they're accused of doing.
But its a false advertisement and false advertising is illegal!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Humax

Activity: 203

The law of the universe!

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:57:21 PM

SCAM!

and my eyes hurts watching those scammers ad here!
Paid with the money of their scam!

But wait.....they will ship after many years from now when the difficulty is too high to mine with those. Claiming they were never scammers!!!

Help me feed my hamster! Donate sunflower seeds!
vandan

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:14:47 AM

I made the following post last July in which I indicated it made NO SENSE how BFL could make power/speed claims on ASICs without actually developed them.

I have just one question: How can you know that your ASICS/rigs you are touting/preordering going to have as much hashing power as you claim on your website unless you have already created the ASICs and benchmarked them.

This question I need answered.

To claim a rig will have a hash rate and not be able to actually sell (more importantly, demonstrate its hashing capabilities), says that you likely don't have the technology at all. Otherwise why not just keep the hardware secret and mine happily for the rest of bitcoinity and make tons more profit?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Well said
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:31:19 AM

One of the interesting things said by the investigators out of the *Rex Rogers / lotto fraud case is that:

These guys were good.  They were careful not to make any definite claims.

Kind of the same thing with BFL.  You say you have something soon™  Make obscure references to designs/tests/timelines.  Nothing definitive.  Have the nerve to invoke Abraham Lincoln. 

(By the way - the heat testing claim in November 2012 was likely with heat elements and not actual ASIC chips on a board.)

I'm not sure if this is completely intentional on BFL's part, but it makes one think very hard about what BFL's game is.

*Rex Rogers being Sonny @ BFL's father.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:25:41 AM

I'm not sure if this is completely intentional on BFL's part, but it makes one think very hard about what BFL's game is.

My theory for their incredible amount of dilettantism is this: There's no pressure on BFL, because they already have our money.
They have enough venture capital and pre order money for another six months(?). Another year(?). Who knows. I assume Josh & Sonny grant themselves a princely salary (say $800,000 per year) because they are such high potentials  Roll Eyes.

Once this money is gone, and/or no more new money comes in, because even hillbillies understood that difficulty made BFLs devices unprofitable, BFL is history.

Once BFL goes belly up, prosecutors can't find anything unlawful, because BFL tried as best as they could to bring ASICS to the market. Oh noes, who could have know that they fuck up each and every step? It was just another startup that failed, right? ...

And a nice addition from user "dropt": "You forgot the part where they sell a copy of the mask to a newly formed tech company for pennies on the dollar in efforts to balance the books and stave off bankruptcy.  As BFL implodes, said newly founded tech company starts a massive solo mining asic farm."

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:59:28 AM

Isn't there a LAW in the USA, that says something to this effect...

"Venture capital must be held in a certified federal withholding bank, with limited access, available for all venture investors to view."

"Working funds must be loaned, based of holdings of venture capital. Without using the venture capital holdings."

"You must clearly state, 'venture', 'investment', 'loan', when soliciting funds that are 'not used to pay directly for physical goods'."

Since they are stating it is an "order"/"purchase", which IMPLIES it is a produced good... But also "mention", that it is a pre-order, but do not state the "holdings" of the pre-order funds... and Have not made "held funds" available to be "monitored" by the "investors/venturists/lenders"...

That makes it fraud.

Even if they have every intention of, "following through". I could rob a bank, with the "intention" of giving it back... It is the robbery that is the crime. The intention is irrelevant.

They claimed to have a solution...
They claimed to have sources...
They claimed to have ability...
They claimed to be open...
They claimed MANY "expected delivery readiness" dates...

They actually had nothing more than the same idea we all had. Yet they falsely led people to believe (lied), that they were ONLY missing "Capital"... Then began taking our capital, using those blatant lies. And remain taking capital, even though they STILL, a year later, have not delivered more than 0.01% of anything promised. While they continue to say, "we are working on it"... but "it" was delivered??? Does it assemble itself once they "finish working on it", after it has arrived in your hands?

30 were sent-out to "reviewers"... And the reviews... Are... posted... where... (Not even on the BFL forums.)

They post in the forums... then tell you the real news in in the blogs... then the blogs lead you to other forums, or back to the BFL forum... and NOTHING is up to date. (That is called misleading you, misdirection, diversion, running you in circles, keeping you occupied, feeding you BS.)

When you SPEND the VENTURED CAPITAL, and use INCOMING VENTURE CAPITAL to PAY SPENT REFUNDS... That is called a "pyramid scam". Even if you DO deliver a few items, which is still less than 0.01% of the orders. (That is also the sign that it is a scam.)

They are a business... then... show me the legal paperwork of collected funds, and FDIC insured bank-account where these "untouched" funds are being held... and the "loan you got", based on our holdings. Since that is the "legal" method for a legal business. (Oh, yea.. they are not legal, and they didn't do that. Yet they freely accepted USD, which requires them to follow "US currency laws.")
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:00:59 PM

Oh noes, who could have know that they fuck up each and every step? It was just another startup that failed, right? ...

This is part that boggles my mind.  Even with substandard engineers and the cheapest/unskillful production facilities you shouldn't have to do each step 4 or more times. What kind of troglodytes are working at all these places that a relatively straightforward device cannot be produced in 6 months, really?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:45:05 PM

Oh noes, who could have know that they fuck up each and every step? It was just another startup that failed, right? ...

This is part that boggles my mind.  Even with substandard engineers and the cheapest/unskillful production facilities you shouldn't have to do each step 4 or more times. What kind of troglodytes are working at all these places that a relatively straightforward device cannot be produced in 6 months, really?
As "ISAWHIM" put it quite clearly:
-Snip-
Even if they have every intention of, "following through". I could rob a bank, with the "intention" of giving it back... It is the robbery that is the crime. The intention is irrelevant.

They claimed to have a solution...
They claimed to have sources...
They claimed to have ability...
They claimed to be open...
They claimed MANY "expected delivery readiness" dates...

They actually had nothing more than the same idea we all had. Yet they falsely led people to believe (lied), that they were ONLY missing "Capital"... Then began taking our capital, using those blatant lies. And remain taking capital, even though they STILL, a year later, have not delivered more than 0.01% of anything promised. While they continue to say, "we are working on it"...
-Snip-
My thought is this, They hired people to do thier job/idea for them with our funds, while they sitback and ask their Minimum Wage employees "how is it coming" and they say "Uhh sir we fucked up again, Your specifications are quite impossible" "Try again" "Sir we fucked up again, Your slightly reduced specifications are still impossible" "TRY AGAIN" "Sir your fucking up, These specifications are Not possible" while BFL kicks back and gives themselves a FAT paycheck of our money whenever the fuck they feel like it.

I strongly believe that they do not have a highly qualified professional "TechGuy" at BFL, I think they have nearly experianceless assembly line workers working minimum wage.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:01:39 PM

The thing I cannot get past is simply that they claim to have VC funds to pay for development, yet they continue to take 100% payment for pre-ordered products that don't exist, raise the price on these non-existent products, and continue to buy ad space. All this despite having a backlog of orders going back nearly one year.

If development is paid for out of VC funding then pre-order customers(investors) are merely a liability. They plainly do not like having investors as evidenced by their animosity toward these investors. Account management, book keeping, and general CS costs real money...so why do it if you don't need the money? It makes no sense from a business standpoint.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:07:44 PM

The thing I cannot get past is simply that they claim to have VC funds to pay for development, yet they continue to take 100% payment for pre-ordered products that don't exist, raise the price on these non-existent products, and continue to buy ad space. All this despite having a backlog of orders going back nearly one year.

If development is paid for out of VC funding then pre-order customers(investors) are merely a liability. They plainly do not like having investors as evidenced by their animosity toward these investors. Account management, book keeping, and general CS costs real money...so why do it if you don't need the money? It makes no sense from a business standpoint.
Yeah, It just screams "we are almost out of money"
Seriously think of the cost of all those chips/wafers/boards/heatsinks/fans/cases and those Stupid Useless BFL boxes that get put inside a standard shipping box, WHATS THE FUCKING POINT? DO THEY PLAN TO PUT THESE ON A SHELF IN A RETAIL STORE? OR IS IT A BIG DICKWAVING TO GRAB MORE PREORDERS!

Pretty damn sure that BFL is close to running out of money I doubt they even have enough materials to fill HALF the orders that they have, So they are scrambling to grab more money rather than go "we cannot construct the unit that you already payed for because we spent your money ineffeciently, We require addintion funds", at wich point, Everyone will pull thier orders if able to, Throwing BFL into another MASSIVE FUCKING SCAM because of all the money that they payed themselves with.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:28:48 AM

Basically the real question is why take on the liability/risk if you don't have to?

Answer: because they had to. Simple as that.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

rayfloyd

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 04:21:32 AM

Basically the real question is why take on the liability/risk if you don't have to?

Answer: because they had to. Simple as that.

Boelens

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 02:12:34 PM

I don't see why they should get a scammer tag. They haven't scammed anyone yet, are offering refunds, and as far as I've seen they're starting to be delivered. I have faith that they'll deliver soon.
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:12:09 PM

I don't see why they should get a scammer tag. They haven't scammed anyone yet, are offering refunds, and as far as I've seen they're starting to be delivered. I have faith that they'll deliver soon.

I agree Lets all get together and make a huge group buy and buy as many units as possible so we can get preferred treatment and jump the line. We can all meet at a convention and video tape a group video of us running our units giving BFL a great media exposure. That alone will get our units quicker.

Just imagine the love and peace we can bring to the world as we show that BFL is good and loves everyone.

Oh my gosh I'm think I'm gonna cry.
iANDROID

Activity: 182

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 01:47:06 PM

Read the conversation between Inaba and Garr255:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=236794.80

In order for me to keep my pre-orders Josh is making me do the following:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print