Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:01:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY CLOSED] Open Source (CC) Paper Wallet Kit for safe offline coin storage  (Read 27546 times)
aantonop (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:03:25 PM

VOTE NOW

Voting is now open (just now)

http://tricider.com/brainstorming/poxx

Thank you

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exor674

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:44:30 PM

Can you please submit a design that matches the agreed template and layout exactly?

Done! I don't think the margins are ideal in the template (important content unnecessarily close to the paper edge) -- and I think it's a mistake to omit the public key from the backup stub -- but I've submitted a revised design that strictly conforms to the template.

https://tricider.com/en/display/104330?wicket:pageMapName=wicket-4

It would probably be an easy fix in the design [ add a white box ], but I'm curious if inkjet printers would be content overprinting the design for the textual public key.

I'm not sure the level of permeability of printing press ink [ or what process aanthonop plans on using ]. ( While I do have access to professionally printed things I wouldn't mind ruining, I do not have access to an inkjet to test )

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 05:47:06 PM

No keys will be pre-printed. I'm planning on getting the printer company to start work next week, and get the first samples. Then I can test on a variety of printers (inkjet, laser etc).

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 04:38:41 AM

I would love to see some crowd designing, and collaborative work.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping and assuming that this has been the plan all along. I think the contest was a good motivation to get us hunkered down in front of our computers working on original designs. However, when the contest is over I don't imagine the point is to send the "winning" design to the printers -- rather I assume since this is an open and collaborative project that Aantonop will consider integrating elements from any of the designs (winning or not) to make something truly spectacular.

Everyone's been very generous with sharing ideas up until this point, I can't imagine why the collaboration would stop now.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 04:50:03 AM

I would love to see some crowd designing, and collaborative work.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping and assuming that this has been the plan all along. I think the contest was a good motivation to get us hunkered down in front of our computers working on original designs. However, when the contest is over I don't imagine the point is to send the "winning" design to the printers -- rather I assume since this is an open and collaborative project that Aantonop will consider integrating elements from any of the designs (winning or not) to make something truly spectacular.

Everyone's been very generous with sharing ideas up until this point, I can't imagine why the collaboration would stop now.

Let me be explicit about my plans and goals on this issue:

I will be using one of the winning designs for the print job. Since I will be spending more than $2000 for this, I will pick a design that I think will sell. The voting helps me see which one is popular.

I will also ask ALL the designers, winning or not, to open source their designs. Any designs that are in fact open sourced will go on the repository, will be in the software and will be used part of the released OpenPaperWallet site. On the final site, there will be no mention of winners, that's entirely besides the point. I hope every design will be open sourced and included. I actually had budgeted mini-bounties for all the remaining designers, just as a thanks for the work, regardless of the votes.

The final result of this work will be an open site, a public github repository, and software which shows and prints any design that is submitted. I will continue to fund even more designs, so that in the end a user can pick from dozens.

If I can get enough support and sales of the initial print, I intend to produce multiple variations and sell those too, with designs from other designers. But since each design will cost a minimum of $1000 to print professionaly, I have to narrow it to one for start, and a few for later.

Hopefully, once we show success and a good-looking product, others will donate and support the creative efforts here and produce more amazing and beautiful designs that the entire bitcoin community can enjoy for free.

Thank you all for the support

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 04:52:09 AM

Ok, I'm sorry, I didn't want to offend you or any other at all and I'm really sorry if I did, that wasn't my intention.

I also apologize for getting upset. Perhaps we can put all this behind us and move on in the spirit of collaboration, especially since we both want the same thing: a benefit to the entire community.

No hard feelings from me, and sorry for being rude.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 05:39:02 AM

Update:

I've received interest from a number of authors, copy editors and general support. Since the last message, I have made some preliminary contact with publishers, referred by some friends who are authors with them.

I'm crowdsourcing the table of contents here (a placeholder for now):
https://bitcoinbook.hackpad.com/

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 02:13:35 AM

English expression: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Another english expression: No good deed goes unpunished.

In my desire to be open and fair, I put the designs up for an open and public vote. What an idiot I am!
As punishment for my naiveté, the vote was completely bogusified (that's a scientific word from voting science. No, it isn't).
There was a lot of double-triple-quadruple voting. It became a popularity test, not a design test.

I have no idea who won. The Internets won. I know who lost: Fairness, and my reputation in this project.
Perhaps the project won, because more than 600 people visited the voting site (or 100 people visited 6 times each). We got some publicity, but it was probably not positive.

So, first of all, an apology is due: I sincerely apologize to all the designers for the voting process. It SUCKED. I am very sorry.

I don't know what should be done next. I would like to ask each of the designers who submitted designs to contact me personally and privately to suggest how we should proceed to decide on a good design, that everyone can agree is fair. I tried and failed, let's see how you do. Please, Timbo, Acorn, M.B. Messer, 75RTUGA, cantor and Mr. No. (I think that is everyone), please contact me now by private message.

The worst part is that a few people tried to warn me (Dr. No, MB Messer) and I didn't listen, worse I was dismissive. That's another lesson for me to learn. Now, I will slow the project down, to save it.

Everyone, please focus on the common goal: Providing beautiful open source paper wallets to the community. This has always been about improving bitcoin and bitcoin security, with style. It has never been about the bounty or finding who is the best designer. Every design had great features and ideally every design will be included in the final deliverable. Let's try and keep our focus on that common purpose and we can fix this minor diversion.

Thank you for your support and patience. Even with this mess, everyone has been very kind and supportive.

PS. Of course I will still award the bounties. I just need time to figure out how to do it without it being arbitrary, capricious and offending everyone.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
acorn

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 03:54:00 AM

That was a bit of a gongshow eh, lol. Well, I sent a PM just now. Thanks for your leadership throughout this collaborative process Smiley
75RTUGA

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:43:45 AM

I understand what you say about this voting , but how can we control that?! :O I don´t know...

Deus abençoe o Bitcoin! Em nome do Pai, do Filho e... do gajo-que-inventou-os-bitcoins! Abençoem-me a mim: 1Hun42aWd3G8XfuLKRZWmYpvuRJyh5xvMi !!! P O K E R HOURLY F R E E R O L L :  https://nitrogensports.eu/r/354448 !!! Visit: https://bits2u.com/?ref=9790
75RTUGA

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 05:34:01 PM

The question is: why you don´t cancel the of double-triple-quadruple votes? …  Huh

Deus abençoe o Bitcoin! Em nome do Pai, do Filho e... do gajo-que-inventou-os-bitcoins! Abençoem-me a mim: 1Hun42aWd3G8XfuLKRZWmYpvuRJyh5xvMi !!! P O K E R HOURLY F R E E R O L L :  https://nitrogensports.eu/r/354448 !!! Visit: https://bits2u.com/?ref=9790
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 06:46:48 PM

I have selected the two winners for this stage of the contest.

To collect the reward, the designers MUST in the next few days:

- Finalize any minor changes they wish to make
- Sign their work in some corner or edge of the design, if you haven't already ("Designed By The Amazing Bob"). Keep it to a discreet size, please
- Convert your design to SVG format, preserving layers.
- Release your design as CC-BY-SA
- Upload to the openpaperwallet repository (https://github.com/openpaperwallet/openpaperwallet), or send to me and I will upload.

Once this is done, your design is "open source", belongs to the OpenPaperWallet project and you will be paid 2.5 BTC.

IMPORTANT: Any of the designers who wish to give their designs to the project, should do the same steps above. I have no more money, but I will include all the designs and make you famous ;-)

The winners are:

75RTUGA, 2.5 BTC Bounty, with this design
https://i.imgur.com/x8ZkAR0s.jpg

MB Messer, 2.5 BTC Bounty,  with this design
https://i.imgur.com/yInD2q7s.png

The other designs are all wonderful and I am incredibly grateful for everyone's effort.

As I said, this is not the end of the project, but the beginning. The winners above will get a bounty, but their designs will be included with the others equally (no special treatment). We will now create products, make more designs and make a website to promote EVERYONE's work equally.

Thank you all for support and encouragement

PS. If you object to this result or are upset about it, or you think it is unfair - do not reply in public to complain about it, please. Instead PM me and I can take your criticism. Please do not criticize the winners, or the project, or the other designs for my errors!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
75RTUGA

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:05:55 PM

The question is: why you don´t cancel the of double-triple-quadruple votes? …  Huh
I'm sure you are aware you could vote through tor, proxies, vpns hundreds of times... whatever.
I'm not accusing you Wink
I think your design is the only one with a minimum quality at least. I like it.
But the contest was not fair, and there was no decent competition, almost no submissions.
You should not be afraid of more competition. I'm sure your design will get a great and fair ammount in bitcoins. People will like it You could also even improve it a little bit, I made you already a couple of suggestions that maybe could make it much more nice

I would love to see much more designs and proposals.

Hey Mr. No... Smiley
I just asked that question to make the competition more fair and aantonop don´t waste more time. I'm fine because I did nothing wrong! Tongue I don´t care if my works aren´t chosen. And this idea of the note was from a previous contest. I think you didn´t understand me. I have a bad english! Tongue
And thanks for your words! Wink Like like! eheh

75RTUGA

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:09:14 PM

[quote
75RTUGA, 2.5 BTC Bounty, with this design
https://i.imgur.com/x8ZkAR0s.jpg
[/quote]

Thank you aantonop! Cheesy I´m happy! Smiley

I´m preparing the file for you.
I also enjoyed the note of Acorn ... good job of he, but few votes :/

tyty Wink

75RTUGA

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 07:49:26 PM

Congrats to the winners! those were the best ones.
Only sad because of very few submissions

Please 75rtuga provide the backside and the original made for the other contest, it was very nice too.
I'd love to be able to modify colours and parts.

Thank you Mr. No! Wink

Sure! But one problem... binary code was wrong... when i can change i´ll give you! Smiley

I´m ending this note with the other colors and then modify it! Wink

BitcoinLady

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Prima Inter Pares

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 08:04:49 PM

We are also happy to be one of winners in this competition and appreciate aantonop decision.
We also wish to congratulate 75RTUGA - Your design is awesome.

We'll prepare the final version soon.

Barbara and Mark Messer

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 08:50:04 PM

Now that we're past that horrible contest experience, let's look at the damage.

In the end, I picked the two designs that I liked the most. I completely disregarded the votes and picked the ones I think will sell most for the first print.

Now, you may think that means these designs had less "suspect" votes. That is not the case. ALL of the votes were suspect. Every single design had received multiple votes that I could tell were suspect. This had nothing to do with the designers. All the votes were ignored.

The bad voting was equally distributed among all choices. My choice to award to 75RTUGA and MB Messer, was not a reflection on the presumed third-place winner or the others.

To address any lingering concerns and hurt feelings I have decided to add the following awards, which I will pay for myself:

* Cantor will be receiving 2.5 BTC for the overall effort in this project (liquid testing etc) and his design.
* Timbo will be receiving 1 BTC for his many design suggestions
* Acorn will be receiving 1 BTC for his design in addition to the template work
* Mr. No will be receiving 1 BTC for his design and suggestions.

The same rules as above apply: fix, sign, SVG format, license and upload. Payment after these steps are done.

I'm sure there will be more objections, but I've made my peace with it. I will be moving on and focusing on the next steps. With this final award, the total BOUNTY paid will be 14 BTC. At current prices, I've put in $2,100 into this project. Printing will be delayed for at least 4 weeks, at this stage, until I can fundraise for it.

As before, make your complaints to me personally.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
batcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

In Gord We Trust

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 08:57:36 PM

I had a hard time deciding which of the two I wanted to vote for, and those two happened to be the winning to. Congrats to the winners. The designs are very nice and I think the will be appreciated by those who purchase them. Smiley

If you have more than 0.01BTC and complain about early adopters, please consider donating to this address: 1P11Dz4mhDcJvetHqEJu35KNEVqSRmqo3b
General Tips: 1P4YfrYwQKKtfwszzb2aHgLVLiWQCrJfwi
canton

Activity: 261
Merit: 285

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 09:05:22 PM

Cantor will be receiving 2.5 BTC for the overall effort in this project (liquid testing etc) and his design.

Thanks aantonop! This is very generous of you and I appreciate the consideration.

For the SVG: Should I assume you only want the front side of my design? I'll also of course license the back but I figure maybe all you want from that (if anything) is the "how to use this wallet" text, not the actual design.

PS: My name is Canton (not Cantor) Wink
75RTUGA

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 09:43:32 PM

We are also happy to be one of winners in this competition and appreciate aantonop decision.
We also wish to congratulate 75RTUGA - Your design is awesome.

We'll prepare the final version soon.

Barbara and Mark Messer

Thank you very munch BitcoinLady (Barbara & Mark Messer)! Cheesy

Congratulations to you too! Wink

So... next! eheh Tongue

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: