Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:40:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KickAssTorrent is down, any blockchain-centric torrent site/tech?  (Read 1680 times)
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1117

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 05:51:25 PM

nxt can host bittorrent files. only issue is the nxt fee required to do the upload.

now the question is what is the incentive for uploaders to pay a fee to give away files?

if there was a service or even a nxt whale to kickstart this movement by paying all the fees for uploaders, it can possibly go somewhere.

is it not possible that the uploader can charge something? if you want the link then you have to pay.
Sebastien256

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 06:09:11 PM

nxt can host bittorrent files. only issue is the nxt fee required to do the upload.

now the question is what is the incentive for uploaders to pay a fee to give away files?

if there was a service or even a nxt whale to kickstart this movement by paying all the fees for uploaders, it can possibly go somewhere.

is it not possible that the uploader can charge something? if you want the link then you have to pay.

A valid point about how to handle the transaction fee cost. Granted is only 1 NXT but I am not sure many users hve the insentive to install NXT to submit a torrent file, and pay 1 NXT.  Someone would need to pick up that tab for them.
That is a great question indeed.
Maybe you could encrypt the data and combine it with DGS, letting users purchase the shared decryption key? Maybe showing ads on the site is enough to cover the costs? I'm sure there are other ways too. But no one has explored them yet that I know of.

Nxt official forum at: https://nxtforum.org/
jza (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 08:21:43 PM

What about SIA and syscoin storage facility?
SIA  mean to be decentralized storage and have heard that they have also successfully tested their platform. I think we need decentralized storage for all hosting and cloud storage needs.

Sure, but I think the Sia storage is a bit convoluted, I mean the storage contracts are not interchangable AFAIK. And you will still need the same hash from account/pvkey to be able to download the file, and I still not sure how fast is a sia download.

And you end up with the same issue of where to point these keys/contracts just like KAT host the magnet hash and the Torrent files.
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 09:55:55 AM

LBRY is claiming it can make torrent better...and youtube too etc.

https://soundcloud.com/supernetradio/lbry

jza (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 10:20:32 AM

I think the best way to get this is to go back to local desktop apps sort of like napster, that has a blockchain crawler built withing. That way it can have everything, the UI, the node, and the indexer, and could go without censorship sort of like I2P works now. So a Bittorrent client with blockchained indexes and maybe a built-in torrent/magnet publisher for credits (NXT).
stenkross

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 07:45:09 PM

I think the best way to get this is to go back to local desktop apps sort of like napster, that has a blockchain crawler built withing. That way it can have everything, the UI, the node, and the indexer, and could go without censorship sort of like I2P works now. So a Bittorrent client with blockchained indexes and maybe a built-in torrent/magnet publisher for credits (NXT).
Totally doable with NXT, just shit loads of work, and high risk of not getting much usage I'm afraid.
boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
July 24, 2016, 05:45:35 AM

If the vTorrent dev ever gets his act together ...
kendraallen

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 05:37:33 PM

top Kickass torrent alternative

1. LimeTorrents

2. ExtraTorrent

3. The Pirate Bay

4 . RARBG

5. Dirty Torrents

i found it here https://thefashionupdates.com/kickass-torrent-alternatives/