Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:39:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTS - 300 CoinTerras anyone? 600,000 watts of fun!  (Read 1411 times)
dance191 (OP)

Activity: 261
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 08:11:50 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2016, 11:52:29 PM by dance191

It is a shot in the dark, but anyone interested in 300 CoinTerras?  Heaters, paper weights, Burning Man art installation, parts (they have 2 X 1080W 120/208/240 platinum PSU with breakout boards, BeagleBone Black controllers, liquid cooling, etc)?

Being CoinTerras, they run anywhere from full speed to no speed.  Reallly, parting them out would be the best plan, I just don't have time to do it.

If I get any interest, I'll take some photos and put them up.  It is really a silly mountain of hardware.  They are currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area and would fit in a 24' ~ 26' box truck.  
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 09:10:33 AM

Man these should of been worthless about 2 years ago. Still surprised you were running so many of them.

MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 10:01:19 AM

How many of the units actually run at 100%?

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 02:19:54 PM

Can we get a pic of these just for shits and giggles?
dance191 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 07:57:12 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2016, 08:40:21 PM by dance191

How many of the units actually run at 100%?

I don't know that number.  I do know they were mostly running at a greatly reduced speed.  The amount running at full speed might only be about 10% or so.  Like I was saying, I would only look at them for parts, due to their unreliable mining nature.  As for mining, they would be considered just about junk, except for the parts.

The PSUs in them are actually really good.  Platinum, 1080W and will do that at 120 volt.  They already have breakout boards to 4 AWG copper wire.  If someone has a way to go from 4 AWG copper to 6 ~ 10 PCI-E cables, then I am sure each one of those setups would be worth a good $100 or so each (consumer platinum PSUs run about twice that).  There are 600 PSUs in the lot, so if someone had the time it would be worth the effort.  I just don't have the time.

Here is an image of the PSU, breakout board and 4 AWG copper.  They are really easy to take out, just about 5 screws and you have this in your hand:

They each have 5 delta fans, so there is something like 3,000 delta fans.  They are AFB1212SHE, probably intended for high static pressure environments as they needed to push through the radiators for the liquid cooling.

There are 4 dies that get cooled, I think these coolers are the same ones that can be used for Intel server PSUs.  I would have to look into it, but I have seen the same coolers used in that environment.

There are other parts like the BeagleBone Black controllers.  Bitmain sells them for $50 + shipping.

Other random stuff such as the case is aluminum.  Not sure if the metal is worth anything, but it seams like a 19" rack mountable aluminum case might be worth something.

These things were > $10,000 new, so they are made of good parts.  Just antiquated when it comes to mining.

I am not looking for much, but to the right person they might be worth something.  I personally would just recycle them if no one is interested here.  I don't have the time to part them out.

dance191 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 08:23:05 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2016, 08:36:43 PM by dance191

Can we get a pic of these just for shits and giggles?

For shits and giggles:

Unfortunately, I don't have any that provide a good perspective on them, but here is a few...

Here is when I had to throw them in a U-Haul, just to move them a few blocks:

A stack of them:

Another view of that same stack, from the side:

I wish I had better images, they are just crammed together with a bunch of junk thrown on top.  However, you get the idea...
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2016, 11:53:02 PM

You must be a millionaire to be able to buy 300 of those at $10,000 each. Wonder if you ever ROI'd.

Thanks for the pics.
javierfjavier

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 02:44:52 AM

I always wondered about those psus, I didn't know it was exclusive from these miners..

What's the efficiency, 1W/GH? I have free power, but I'm thousands of km away. And we will need a lot of cable, space, and a whole ship LOL

Good luck with your sale man.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 05:31:10 AM

Sent you a PM as you see may pay a bit MORE to get ONE unit to see what real shipping is to me and to try and play with the PSU etc (and hell just to run it for a day
for its lovely bitcoin space heating properties) and for your trouble ....likely shipping will be so frigging high I'd not want anymore..but we can see.....

anyway sent you a PM...likely I can't mod the PSU's but could use some cases for projects etc

what the heck .....if shipping does not suck too bad and I can mod a psu or two for SOMETHING I may get a few more....likely much less then the demo unit price I
sent you above for your time on this ..iffy.....proposition...for the ONE I asked for to look at in the PM.

anyway good luck on your project

what the heck things to look at make wirrly noises..then take apart and trash for other uses Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 07:00:19 AM

anyone know if the coolers can be re-used in a desktop? I assume they lack the correct sized bracket for intel boards?

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
QuentinA

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 02:28:26 PM

If anyone is willing to go 50/50 or less on this to Europe I'm interested, surely there's something to be done with the watercooling, fans and PSU, IMO just the hashboards and maybe the heatsinks are to trash...

I know it's a long shot, and customs + 20% VAT will kill all hope of profit (oh yeah, and a continent and ocean to cross, right) but if anyone's interested I'd love to work something out or even examine feasibility !

Cheers,
Q.

PS : thanks for the pics OP

telegram @HaroldFTW
btc escrow - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5156456
3FxaFD37d5SA98sy8t8kkXs3MonwknEziK
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 05:26:13 PM

I forget who for offhand, but I've made cables with ring terminals that mount right up to the breakout board on these PSUs. It's not very hard to reuse them.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dance191 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 10:39:40 PM

Sent you a PM as you see may pay a bit MORE to get ONE unit to see what real shipping is to me and to try and play with the PSU etc (and hell just to run it for a day
for its lovely bitcoin space heating properties) and for your trouble ....likely shipping will be so frigging high I'd not want anymore..but we can see.....

anyway sent you a PM...likely I can't mod the PSU's but could use some cases for projects etc

what the heck .....if shipping does not suck too bad and I can mod a psu or two for SOMETHING I may get a few more....likely much less then the demo unit price I
sent you above for your time on this ..iffy.....proposition...for the ONE I asked for to look at in the PM.

anyway good luck on your project

what the heck things to look at make wirrly noises..then take apart and trash for other uses Smiley

Shipping one with UPS/FedEx would cost about $50 each, so not really worth it.  I think it is really only worth it if someone just grabs a truck and gets all of them.  You could probably get a truck for about $1,000 and drive them about 1000 miles and back (about $2000 to get from the east cost -> west coast -> east cost).  That would make the transportation cost about $3 ~ $6 or so each and would make it much more cost effective.

Agaguk24

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

Extended Reality Advertising

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 10:45:51 PM

Wow these were very prized Bitcoin miners not too long ago. These CoinTerra units are made of 28 nm technology?

dance191 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 10:56:19 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2016, 11:11:37 PM by dance191

anyone know if the coolers can be re-used in a desktop? I assume they lack the correct sized bracket for intel boards?

Hey Klondike, just the man I want to speak with!

I think they are compatible with Intel boards.  The company that looks to have made the coolers (http://www.coolitsystems.com/) looks like they specialize in Intel systems.  I scanned over their info and it looks like coolers are designed for Intel Xeon CPUs.  I am not 100% sure about that (I have not physically tied this), but this is what it looks like.  If it was really important to someone, I could physically verify this.

There are 2 of these per radiator:

A here are the 2 radiators:

KLONDIKE - You are the man when it comes to cables, what do you think about making some cables to attach to the 4 AWG wires?  I am sure I am not the only person with a CoinTerra that isn't running!

Oh, I almost forgot.  These machines are super clean, they were run in a very, very clean environment.  You can see from the pictures that everything inside the case looks almost new.  I didn't clean anything for those pictures, that is what the inside of all of them look like.

dance191 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:10:16 PM

I forget who for offhand, but I've made cables with ring terminals that mount right up to the breakout board on these PSUs. It's not very hard to reuse them.

Sidehack, that is an excellent plan.  If there was say 6 PCI-E cables per PSU, what would 3,600 PCI-E cables cost with ring terminals?  I don't know the best config, but maybe something like 3 PCI-E cables attach to 1 ring terminal, so something like 2 ring terminals per + and -?

It could be as simple as getting some 2~4 AWG ring terminals and just soldering in a bunch of PCI-E wires to the ring terminals.  Then you have a > 1 kW server PSU that is platinum and runs great at 120 volt.  That alone would be pretty cool (+ a bunch of other goodies like the BeagleBone Black, Delta fans, liquid cooling, etc)!
dance191 (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2016, 11:34:24 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2016, 11:57:17 PM by dance191

If anyone is willing to go 50/50 or less on this to Europe I'm interested, surely there's something to be done with the watercooling, fans and PSU, IMO just the hashboards and maybe the heatsinks are to trash...

I know it's a long shot, and customs + 20% VAT will kill all hope of profit (oh yeah, and a continent and ocean to cross, right) but if anyone's interested I'd love to work something out or even examine feasibility !

Cheers,
Q.

PS : thanks for the pics OP

Personally, I think the PSUs are the most valuable.  They already have breakout boards, and are pretty close to what is needed for mining.  New, they are something like $375 each (at least that is what Digi-Key: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bel-power-solutions/PFE1100-12-054NA/179-2421-ND/2627912 and Mouser are selling them for: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bel-Power-Solutions/PFE1100-12-054NA/?qs=He7j%252b7NElcPW2NXHzvQBUg%3D%3D).  So, that is something like about $750 new per CoinTerra for the PSUs alone (the price new, not used, but the PSUs are in great shape and come with breakout boards).  The liquid cooling could be valuable, fans are worth a few bucks, the BeagleBone is worth a few bucks.  The hash boards are probably junk (I don't think there is anything to get off of them, but I could easily be wrong - SIDEHACK - you are the expert here).  The case is all aluminum, maybe worth something.  I was actually wondering if I took everything out, if I could put some GPU rigs in the case.  It looks like everything would fit, there are already PSUs and fans for the case.  The cases might be a good way to rack mount GPU rigs.

They would easily fit in a 20' shipping container.  That would probably run about $3000 or so from SF to Europe (last I checked a year or so ago) and would take about 1 month.

Anyways, there are some good options, but I really don't have the time to deal with it, I wish I did.  Parting them out, I figure there might be $50,000 ~ $100,000 worth of equipment there, but I just might end up recycling them if I don't get any interest here.  It is a bigger project than I can handle right now.

FFrankie

Activity: 2254
Merit: 960

100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 06:51:04 AM

I have access to free shipping within the 48 states. If you are going to recycle them can I have them?
Tarskineater

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 08:16:37 AM

What card was in one picture top of pile on motherboard? "A stack of them:" picture...
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2016, 10:58:50 AM

What card was in one picture top of pile on motherboard? "A stack of them:" picture...

asus 7950 or 7970
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: