Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:14:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: At what point is it not worth it? Are these rates for Slush's pool normal?  (Read 1398 times)
violetdream (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:27:30 AM

I don't actually pay electricity at my rental so I figured I'd try putting all of my computers into Slush's pool. Only one of them has a decent hash rate, at ~50,000kh/s . The rest are contributing maybe an extra 10,000kh/s.

My max reward on Slush's pool was about 0.05 for a day, but due to issues with my main rig dropping hash rate, now I'm only getting around 0.01.

I'm trying to figure out if my rig going down to 3000kh/s is the real cause of this.  On June 6th and 7th I got ~0.05 and I must have still been having the same setup, if not worse. It's hard to explain how this is happening! On June 5th I started in the evening and got close to what I have gotten for a whole day the past few days.

Would you suggest switching to another pool? It's hard to see what my average is or if I was just lucky for  few days.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mollari

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:44:16 AM

You might want to check here to see how many BTCs you should get on average: http://bitcoinx.com/profit/
violetdream (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 06:50:05 AM

This says I should be getting around 1.1 BTC per day Sad Thanks I have not seen that site. I may try another pool to see if that's where the issue is, thanks.
itsagas

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:03:46 AM

This is interesting.  I am having the same problem.  On Slush pool, my miners are working at way reduced hash rates.  Temps are fine too.  Then I moved over to deepbit and the hash rates bounced back up to normal immediately.  

After 24 hours on deepbit, I have seen a lot of connection problems though and am pretty sure I have not maximized my earnings for the miners I have.  Going to try some others...
violetdream (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 07:50:27 AM

This is confusing stuff for a newbie Sad Seems like Slush/Deepbit were the way to go, but then I saw all these posts to *not* use Deepbit. I have an account and I tried it for a while and I think I saw more reasonable numbers. I am giving bitcoins.cl a try now because it is free and I like the user interface. Is it better to go with bigger pools because there is  a better chance of coins being found, or smaller pools because the payout may be higher?Or does it turn out to be kind of the same?
Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:32:28 AM

The difference between a large pool and a small pool is not how many bitcoins you will get. The difference is how quickly your earnings will approach your theoretical average. Big pools give more consistent earnings. However if one pool gets too large they can pose a risk to the security of bitcoin transactions. The pool's operator would not be able to spend other peoples bitcoins or create additional bitcoins. They could however be able to undo recent transactions and therefore take back bitcoins they had payed to others. That is the reason some people suggest staying away from deepbit.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
violetdream (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:33:18 AM

Bitcoins.lc is reporting that I should get 0.07 per day! We'll see if it makes good on its promise Smiley
djgtr

Activity: 951
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:14:13 AM

Try using www.ozco.in

I switched to them from slush's pool and i seem to be getting better btc/day.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:24:16 PM

Bitcoins.lc is reporting that I should get 0.07 per day! We'll see if it makes good on its promise Smiley
This.

It only takes half an hour to find out your daily income. Please remember that larger proportional pools suffer from the "lion's share" problem, where the people with the smaller scraps get proportionally reduced value due to rounding, missing rewards on full blocks (put ALL your miners on a single worker account!) that last just 2 minutes and low score because of rare submissions. In theory, the OP's computers will never find a block this year. However he can benefit from a few coins this year on the off-chance that he might find one.
violetdream (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 02:54:03 AM

This.

It only takes half an hour to find out your daily income. Please remember that larger proportional pools suffer from the "lion's share" problem, where the people with the smaller scraps get proportionally reduced value due to rounding, missing rewards on full blocks (put ALL your miners on a single worker account!) that last just 2 minutes and low score because of rare submissions. In theory, the OP's computers will never find a block this year. However he can benefit from a few coins this year on the off-chance that he might find one.

Can you be more clear? I am not doing solo mining, I am doing pooled mining, so when you say you'll never find one but I may get lucky and find one I don't understand. I already have a small amount from Slush's pool. Could someone describe more clearly the pros and cons of smaller pools vs larger?

Also please don't tell me I'm wasting electricity, I don't pay it at my rental so if I even get 1 dollar I am making a profit.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:03:31 PM

This.

Can you be more clear? I am not doing solo mining, I am doing pooled mining, so when you say you'll never find one but I may get lucky and find one I don't understand. I already have a small amount from Slush's pool. Could someone describe more clearly the pros and cons of smaller pools vs larger?

Also please don't tell me I'm wasting electricity, I don't pay it at my rental so if I even get 1 dollar I am making a profit.
Why would I care what you do with electricity, because it's never wasted...

http://bitcoinx.com/profit/index.php -- fill in JUST the hash rate cell, click recalculate. What is the Average Generation Time displayed below the cell after you click generate?
finnthecelt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 02:13:42 PM

Well I'm on BTC Guild right now after slush's pool went down but I don't see any difference in my hash rate.

Watching my total rewards now over the last two hours leaves me wanting. I'll give it the rest of the day but I'll most likely end up switching back to slush's pool.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: