Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:47:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing BTC/LTC long term in safe deposit box  (Read 3587 times)
FreedomCoin (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:43:20 PM

Hello all,

Since the announcement of Avalon asking 88btc for their ASICSs my plans of ordering batch #3 is not looking good.

My backup plan for a long term investment in bitcoin would be taking part of my current earnings (maybe 15btc and 30ltc), moving them to another wallet. Backing up the wallet.dat file to a CD or thumb drive and storing it in my safe deposit box at my bank for years to come. Alot speculate with finite amount of coins they will only increase in value. So my plan is to hold long term for many years.

Has anyone done this? Or can speculate on the best practice of doing this? Ill write out my current plan below.

1. Install bitcoin-qt and litecoin client on 2nd computer or VM.
2. Move part of balance to new wallets/addresses.
3. Backup wallets to .dat file (no encryption).
4. put .dat files on CD or thumb drive, and then delete the wallets from the 2nd computer or VM
5. put CD in safe deposit box or other long term storage unit.
6. Profit?

Also would i want to make a paper wallet in addition to saving the .dat files, in case for some reason the CD or thumb drive is unreadable when i decide to use the long term stored coins?

And one other thing, does anyone speculate the IRS tax me if i decide to exchange the coins to dollars many years from now... Just like how people but stocks, then cash them out many years later?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tosku

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 04:46:07 PM

Make sure to use multiple CD's, thumbdrives or whatever. And put the hardware needed to use those things (i.e. a laptop) in the vault as well, along with complete instructions on how to redeem the stuff for fiat.

Skude.se/BTC - an easier way to request your daily free coins!
FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:55:22 PM

Make sure to use multiple CD's, thumbdrives or whatever. And put the hardware needed to use those things (i.e. a laptop) in the vault as well, along with complete instructions on how to redeem the stuff for fiat.

I think making copies of the media is a good idea, but do i really need to store my laptop away? Wouldnt the .dat files be sufficient? I believe that holds my funds and address tied to those funds.

Dacm4n

Activity: 363

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:01:04 PM

I think making copies of the media is a good idea, but do i really need to store my laptop away? Wouldnt the .dat files be sufficient? I believe that holds my funds and address tied to those funds.
I think as a way to access them in an emergency. Since you will need a computer to get to them. You could buy any cheap used netbook for that purpose.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:07:19 PM

Using flash drives or solid state drives for years is not good idea. Flash cells discharges over time and slowly lose data. According to paper released by HP the time can be from few months with worn SSD drives written in elevated ambient temperature to 8 years (for SLC flash drives) from my own experience. Contrary good quality CD-R stored in controlled environment have lasted 15 years and counting.

Take a look at Armory client with the deterministic wallet paper backup. Print many copies and store them in separate places.

Storing anything in bank is not good idea. It can be confiscated by government, stolen by robbers or destroyed in fire. Hide the paper backups in old way like deposits of gold.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
tosku

Activity: 367

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 05:32:07 PM

If you are using paper wallets, make sure to use ink that doesn't fade away over time.

Skude.se/BTC - an easier way to request your daily free coins!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:44:23 PM

I started out before there was any wallet encryption and thus rolled my own using openssl.

It might be worth considering making multiple deep storage wallets sized for where you think the price might go.  I did this and am very happy for it.  One possible recovery method is using the wallet import features of one of the on-line wallet services.  I personally would feel queezy about doing this for very high-value sizes even though the value would only be under control of someone else briefly.  Who knows if a 'glitch' might crop up when someone entrusts them with $100k in one shot?

For one, I can have a systematic naming scheme representing the total value, date, etc.

For two, I can sell an entire wallet.dat and that can be handy in some instances.

For three, I can instruct my heirs (who know that I've got some value in the solution and will find my backups in my safe deposit box) that if they need to retain a professional to retrieve the value, to do so incrementally.  Thus they cannot be fully ripped off in one shot by a dishonest geek.

FWIW, I recently took a cold storage wallet made with bitcoind compiled in the middle of 2011 and it worked fine in an 0.8.x pre-compiled linux build of bitcoin-qt.  (This new build also synced in under 24 hours, and uses modest resources on a powerful system so LevelDB is impressing me thus far.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:55:50 PM

And put the hardware needed to use those things (i.e. a laptop) in the vault as well, along with complete instructions on how to redeem the stuff for fiat.
Hardware isn't really required. It is a commodity and easily virtualized or emulated. Store all the software required to access your wallet, including all the dependencies.

Also, of the generally available optical media DVD-RAM are the longest lasting and have the lowest failure rates.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:01:22 PM

I do not understand why i would want a netbook or laptop to take up additional space in my safe deposit box? Those have hard drives and or SSD.. I think a CD with the wallet.dat file and a paper wallet equivalent of that (if i can both) would be fine... Maybe im missing something? When i decide to use or sell them years from now wouldnt i just need to download the bitcoin client, sync with the block chain and then add the wallet.dat file to the bitcoin program directory?

How would using Armory be more secure than doing what i recommended in the first post? And my worry about using Armory is what if it is no longer supported years from now and i cannot transfer funds out of the Armory to a BTC client?

FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:02:35 PM

And put the hardware needed to use those things (i.e. a laptop) in the vault as well, along with complete instructions on how to redeem the stuff for fiat.
Hardware isn't really required. It is a commodity and easily virtualized or emulated. Store all the software required to access your wallet, including all the dependencies.

Also, of the generally available optical media DVD-RAM are the longest lasting and have the lowest failure rates.

When you say software and dependencies can you be more specific?

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:30:00 PM

When you say software and dependencies can you be more specific?
You'll need to preserve the software you used to create and manipulate your Bitcoin stash. Do not assume that it will not change. It will change and none of the current developers have the resources to properly test their current versions for backward compatibility with all previous versions of itself.

"Dependencies" means all the software required to build the software above. Edited to add: For exampe: if you used Armory on Ubuntu 12.04 then you need to save all the Ubuntu 12.04 plus the source code to the exact version of python, swig, Qt-toolkit and whatever else is being used to rebuild Armory.

I cannot be more specific, because I don't know the answer myself. You'll need to either learn this yourself or pay somebody to do the research for you. You can either do it now cheaply or later much more expensively.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
stepkrav

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:54:57 PM

I wouldn't feel so comfortable storing an bitcoin wallet in a bank. In the future, they could tax you or take your stuff or whatever. One thing we should learn from bitcoin is to trust many peers not one and certainly not a bank. No? Can't you think for a better place to store a paper wallet?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 08:03:26 PM

The problem with using hardware is that it changes and it could fail due to heat or moisture or rust or...

Download vanitygen and create a public and private key.

Write them down or etch them into metal or stamp it into something, etc.

Send your BTC to the public address and you are all set.

You could even scratch the private key into a rock and bury it in your yard or whichever. Etch it into the foundation in your home. Carve it into the wall in the closet then cover with wall paper...

plenty of options for just saving a string of characters

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:10:03 PM

Rather than storing anything in a safe deposit box in a bank - I wood go out in the woods and put everything in a 'survival box' and dig it down somewhere. Seems safer than the bank option to me. To reduce risks, you may even split it out (several wallet - several boxes). Then GPS-mark those places, and come back in 5 years. Wink
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 08:14:25 PM

Rather than storing anything in a safe deposit box in a bank - I wood go out in the woods and put everything in a 'survival box' and dig it down somewhere. Seems safer than the bank option to me. To reduce risks, you may even split it out (several wallet - several boxes). Then GPS-mark those places, and come back in 5 years. Wink

Agreed, as with gold and silver, bitcoin is a way of getting out of the banking system. I wouldn't be in a hurry to put your money back in.

wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:22:08 PM

The problem with using hardware is that it changes and it could fail due to heat or moisture or rust or...

You could even scratch the private key into a rock and bury it in your yard or whichever. Etch it into the foundation in your home. Carve it into the wall in the closet then cover with wall paper...

Agreed, for long term storage, forget about hardware and software. A private key is all you need. Hardware and software will change over time, but the public/private keypair is fundamental to bitcoin.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:54:39 PM

Agreed, as with gold and silver, bitcoin is a way of getting out of the banking system. I wouldn't be in a hurry to put your money back in.

In the event of war or some other crisis, you can be sure bank vaults will be emptied..
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:59:25 PM

No one method is failsafe.

Metal can be stolen or lost.
Locations of rocks can be forgotten, or they can be covered with a new supermarket 20 years from now.
Foundations can be destroyed in an earthquake.
Closet walls can be destroyed in a fire.

Bottom line is, I always make sure to store any Bitcoin backups of significant value in at least two ways, to protect against one of those failing.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:14:43 PM

Bottom line is, I always make sure to store any Bitcoin backups of significant value in at least two ways, to protect against one of those failing.

It's a legitimate argument that multiple backup/deep-store techniques create multiple failure modes as well.  I won't argue on way or the other.

One's security regime is a personal choice.  Probably the best advice would be to simply understand Bitcoin (or whatever) well then tailor a solution which fits one's situation.  And then keep one's mouth mainly shut about it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:17:42 PM

It's a legitimate argument that multiple backup/deep-store techniques create multiple failure modes as well.  I won't argue on way or the other.

One's security regime is a personal choice.  Probably the best advice would be to simply understand Bitcoin (or whatever) well then tailor a solution which fits one's situation.  And then keep one's mouth mainly shut about it.

Heh, this is key too.  Security through obscurity DOES have merit (just maybe not in computer code).
bitcoiner32

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:31:56 PM

How does the public and private keys work? If I leave my bitcoins on an exchange can I write down the key so that others can't steal them?

If I write the private key on a piece of paper ("paper wallet"?) but then leave the bitcoins on a flash drive and get the drive stolen, then does that mean that i could use the private key to retrieve them or just that the theif wouldn't be able to use them?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:52:46 PM

How does the public and private keys work? If I leave my bitcoins on an exchange can I write down the key so that others can't steal them?

If I write the private key on a piece of paper ("paper wallet"?) but then leave the bitcoins on a flash drive and get the drive stolen, then does that mean that i could use the private key to retrieve them or just that the theif wouldn't be able to use them?

If you have bitcoins at an exchange, you don't have them.  The exchange does.  Hopefully they won't lose them and they will give them back to you when you ask them to.

There is actually no such thing as 'having bitcoins on a flash drive'.  There is actually no such thing as a bitcoin.  It is just the summation of value assigned to and removed from a particular address through the entire history of the Bitcoin system.

The only way to assign value away from an address is to use the private key for that address to 'sign' a desired transaction.  Anyone who has the private key for an address can do this (and nobody who does not have the private key can do it!)  Staying secure means:

- not losing the private key to an address with value assigned (e.g., deleting your wallet file or losing your laptop.)

- not having the private key known to anyone you don't wish to know it (e.g., like a hacker.)

- not accidentally transferring value away from an address (e.g., brain-fart of being tricked.)

A 'wallet file' is just a collection of private keys for one or more addresses.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 10:50:01 PM

Some dude engraved part of his private key onto a ring that is on his finger. Some people have dog tags around their necks with the private key engraved. Some people have strips of cloth with embroidered private keys.

A lot of people have paper backups with QR codes printed. I suggest inkjet and impact dot-matrix printers using carbon paper. You could laminate it as well, but that might not be needed.

Well cared for books last centuries.

My simple solution is to just print them on paper, in large enough font size, QR code optional. Then put it in a folder, then put that folder in an envelope, then hide that thing behind a painting or something I'm sure you can think of.

Check back once a year or so, then re-print.

Sooner or later, I might get my own embroidery machine or an engraving machine. Until then, any cheap printer will work.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:25:48 PM

I generate keys offline and batch them into files.  Then I make multisig P2SH addresses from groups of them.  The output is printable HTML with embedded images for barcodes and QR codes.  The HTML files also include everything as straight ASCII, and can be written to M*Disc DVDs.

M*Disc with ASCII should hold up for a LONG time.  I could burn many copies of it to the disc too, or use redundant coding like on USENET, just in case they don't hold up as well for me as they did in testing.  But really, laser print on any modern paper that isn't absolutely terrible should be good for as long as it isn't exposed to water or direct flame, decades or centuries after my death.  And thanks to multisig, I can design the address to survive losing one or more keys, if I want to.  For huge amounts, I could even check and/or replace them on a schedule.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:49:32 PM

I create new unencrypted wallet.dat files and load them with the BTC value I want.

Next I encrypt them using openssl (which should be available on Windows with cygwin but I've not tried it).

I do this systematically and carefully keeping track of both encrypted and unencrypted checksums then wipe any trace from my hard drive.

Next I upload the encrypted files to cloud storage and various other places.  These are not secret since the only way to steal them is to break the encryption.  Indeed, in extreme cases it could be beneficial if a lot of people downloaded them Wink

Next I put the passwords for each encrypted wallet (all different and all random and strong) in my safe deposit box.  Also instructions for how to decrypt the wallet in case I meet the underside of a bus.  Since I don't expect to need most of my BTC for years, and since I don't currently believe that my box will be confiscated, this is the only place were the passwords live.

I keep some spending money in an on-line wallet, but no more than I can afford to lose.

As I mentioned, it is better to keep one's mouth shut about their techniques, but I have a particularly good understanding of the technology I am using and believe that the risk of someone exploiting my solution is minimal.  Indeed, I would happy if people knew that even a rubber hose would not be sufficient to extract most of the BTC value I hold.

calian

Activity: 354

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:21:23 AM

tvbcof are you using your subconscious for part of your private keys? http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133067-unbreakable-crypto-store-a-30-character-password-in-your-brains-subconscious-memory

It seems theoretically rubber hose resistant though kind of scary to rely on too.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:26:53 AM

You can program a Yubikey to store 32 characters. Memorize another 32 characters. You have a 64 character password. Any attempt at rubber hosing you, it wouldn't be that difficult to lose or destroy the Yubikey.

And it has a backup somewhere that no one else knows. (That might be rubber hosed out of you.)

Serenata

Activity: 250

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 09:29:52 AM

Things to consider:

1) If you only have the wallet.dat file and not the client, will the future client support your old wallet file? Consider making a backup of the software as well (and the environment maybe?)
2) Suppose you make a CD/DVD/FLash Drive backup, store them and forget them. Will you be able to use those media/hardware after 20 years? (its like having valuable data on a 5 1/4 floppy today)
3) Consider things like checking and renewing every couple of years or so. Checking that your wallet file is still compatible with newer software, you media/flash drive can be used with modern computer and so on. Might also be good to transfer to new wallets every no and then.
4) I think an UNencrypted wallet is not a good idea. Suppose you buy a new computer some day and dump the old one, but some guy manages to recover your deleted wallet file.
5) The private key thing already mentioned sounds good. Give it a shot and mix it up with other methods.

Have a plan for some else to be able to recover the coins when you're dead/injured/not capable of recovering them yourself. It would be terrible if you find yourself in a situation where you're in a comma in a hospital and need money for an operation that will save you, but others can't have access to your funds.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
theta

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:39:10 PM

What about online wallets like blockchain.info? Not good enough?
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:44:56 PM

Even if you're in a coma, people can see that you had access to your bitcoin funds, because it's all in the blockchain, especially if you've made known your public keys.

The hospital or doctor can be assured that you can access those funds with balances, but only on the condition that you wake up. If you don't, they don't get paid.

I think re-doing the backup every now and then, even every other year, or even more often is not a bad idea, just to make sure the current wallet.dat file works.

Paper backups certainly will work, and you can see with just a quick glance if your backup is still good. Just look at it. When it looks like it's starting to fade or be unreadable, it's time to print a new paper backup.

Online wallets = you have no control over them. Nothing like cold storage.

bitcoiner32

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

If you have bitcoins at an exchange, you don't have them.  The exchange does.  Hopefully they won't lose them and they will give them back to you when you ask them to.

There is actually no such thing as 'having bitcoins on a flash drive'.  There is actually no such thing as a bitcoin.  It is just the summation of value assigned to and removed from a particular address through the entire history of the Bitcoin system.

The only way to assign value away from an address is to use the private key for that address to 'sign' a desired transaction.  Anyone who has the private key for an address can do this (and nobody who does not have the private key can do it!)  Staying secure means:

- not losing the private key to an address with value assigned (e.g., deleting your wallet file or losing your laptop.)

- not having the private key known to anyone you don't wish to know it (e.g., like a hacker.)

- not accidentally transferring value away from an address (e.g., brain-fart of being tricked.)

A 'wallet file' is just a collection of private keys for one or more addresses.

Thank you very much for that reply. That makes a lot more sense now. I think I'm starting to get a better understanding but I'm still not sure I trust myself enough to take my bitcoins off the exchange and hold them on my own. We'll see if I can work myself up to that in the future though...
FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:12:30 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 08:00:07 PM by FreedomCoin

I have a question regarding creating a public address offline, using bitcoin qt and or vanitygen.

How does bitcoin qt and or vanitygen know the public address you created isnt already in use if created offline? And if it is by transferring coins to that in use address you would basically be giving your coins to someone else by mistake.. or cause an anomaly of two of the same addresses in the blockchain.

snaxion

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:47:19 PM

I am pretty bullish on paper wallets not fading much over time. My relatives handed down a newspaper from when Lincoln was assassinated. No special storage. Still can read every word. The worst thing is a coffee stain from 1910.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:50:17 PM

I am pretty bullish on paper wallets not fading much over time. My relatives handed down a newspaper from when Lincoln was assassinated. No special storage. Still can read every word. The worst thing is a coffee stain from 1910.
Yeah, they'll last a good long while in the dark.  The only paper you really do not want to print on for long-term storage is thermal paper.  Everything I've seen that has been printed by an inkjet or laser printer and not left in the light has been completely legible, and I would suspect will stay that way for at least an additional 20 years.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:15:45 PM

Thank you very much for that reply. That makes a lot more sense now. I think I'm starting to get a better understanding but I'm still not sure I trust myself enough to take my bitcoins off the exchange and hold them on my own. We'll see if I can work myself up to that in the future though...

I'm glad you found it slightly helpful.  Various techniques are being developed and my own hands-on experience was developed several years ago.  None-the-less, I think there is no substitute for understanding the critical importance of 'keys' and what a 'bitcoin' is (and is not) when trying to understand your options.

It is fairly safe (and a damn good idea) to experiment with smaller sums to get a security regime worked out and tested.  It might not even hurt to jot down your plan and take notes on things as you test the operations you've chosen.

As a lot of people will tell you, having someone else store your coins like at least an 'old school' on-line wallet or exchange has led to a lot of tears in times past.  And probably will again.  It is (imho) antithetical to the concept of Bitcoin to trust someone else with your BTC value no matter who it is.  There are many failure modes besides simple theft, and Bitcoin is one of the few assets that you _can_ control almost completely yourself with almost no reliance on anyone else.  Close to zero 'counterparty risk' which was one of the things that attracted me to the solution in the first place.

Even if you have only what is a trivial amount today, there is enough of a chance that they will be worth a good bit at some point that developing a good understanding of how to keep them safe under your own control is a worthwhile thing to do.  I still don't even consider it 'likely' that BTC values will continue to explode, but it is increasingly likely that they _may_ do so.

bitcoiner32

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:06:09 PM

I'm glad you found it slightly helpful.  Various techniques are being developed and my own hands-on experience was developed several years ago.  None-the-less, I think there is no substitute for understanding the critical importance of 'keys' and what a 'bitcoin' is (and is not) when trying to understand your options.

It is fairly safe (and a damn good idea) to experiment with smaller sums to get a security regime worked out and tested.  It might not even hurt to jot down your plan and take notes on things as you test the operations you've chosen.

As a lot of people will tell you, having someone else store your coins like at least an 'old school' on-line wallet or exchange has led to a lot of tears in times past.  And probably will again.  It is (imho) antithetical to the concept of Bitcoin to trust someone else with your BTC value no matter who it is.  There are many failure modes besides simple theft, and Bitcoin is one of the few assets that you _can_ control almost completely yourself with almost no reliance on anyone else.  Close to zero 'counterparty risk' which was one of the things that attracted me to the solution in the first place.

Even if you have only what is a trivial amount today, there is enough of a chance that they will be worth a good bit at some point that developing a good understanding of how to keep them safe under your own control is a worthwhile thing to do.  I still don't even consider it 'likely' that BTC values will continue to explode, but it is increasingly likely that they _may_ do so.

Ok, you've convinced me to maybe do some experimenting on my own with small values and probably flash drives and/or paper wallets. I also really like the decentralized aspect of bitcoin, so I like your point about not putting them all in one place. 

I'm curious why you think its no longer likely that BTC values will continue to explode, and where you think they might stabilize?
It seems to me that unless a competitor emerges it will likely continue to gain massive amounts of market share, as it is still relatively tiny and even tinier when you consider that most bitcoins never get traded, they are just held, like gold. Also we've only scratched the surface with the first few dozen(?ish?) businesses accepting bitcoin. If its viable its acceptance as currency will almost certainly go up by a factor of 100x or more. I'd think that would cause its value to continue to increase dramatically until it begins to approach market saturation, which I would conservatively guess would be around 30-50% of all online businesses.

Max Kieser's assertion that even just a 1% FOREX market share would lead to $100,000 per bitcoin seems pretty incredible. However, 1% of the global currency market actually seems kind of low for a viable online anonymous currency. 

My guess is that in 5-10 years bitcoin will be worth well over $1,000 per bitcoin and continue to go up from there. I'd be very interested to hear what others here think will happen.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:19:26 PM

I have a question regarding creating a public address offline, using bitcoin qt and or vanitygen.

How does bitcoin qt and or vanitygen know the public address you created isnt already in use if created offline? And if it is by transferring coins to that in use address you would basically be giving your coins to someone else by mistake.. or cause an anomaly of two of the same addresses in the blockchain.

Math.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Blowfeld

Activity: 53

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 02:23:33 AM

First, I would recommend you avoid any computer media.  Even the US Census Bureau lost a significant portion of the 1960 census before it was 20 years old due to magnetic tape bitrot.  How many 5.25" floppy disk drives do you see these days?  How about 3.5"/5.25" magneto-optical cartridge drives, which were claimed to have an immense shelf-life?  Any TRS-80 cassette tape drives, anyone?

I think human readable text is the only safe and secure long-term storage method.  Whether carved onto stone tables and stored in a pyramid, written with pencil on non-acidic paper, embossed on good old-fashioned Dymo label-maker tape, or etched on corrosion-resistant metal.

DId anybody mention secret-sharing?  (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_sharing)  This is a method by which you need k of n shares to extract the secret.  Knowing k-1 shares of the secret tells you nothing about the secret.  Knowing any k shares discloses the entire secret.  The mathematics is relatively simple, and the math will still exist in 100 years.  Sample programs exist now (and should be easy to reconstruct in the future) that accept a text secret string (a BTC private key, for example), and output n text strings containing the secrets.

So, split a private key into (say) 15 of 40 shares.  Give 1 share to each of your best friends.  Give a couple shares to each of your close family members.  Give a few to your lawyer.  Keep at least 15 for yourself.  Put a few in the safe deposit box.  Put a few under your mattress.  Ask everybody to keep them safe for you (or your heirs, if you die).  You also want to generate more secrets than you actually use.  [Burn the excess.  Nobody but you should know how many secrets are out there to be found.]

You want to always have at least 15 shares available to you, even if your house burns down or your bank safety deposit boxes are robbed.  If you have more than one circle of friends, spread the secrets around.  You might want to avoid a conspiracy where 15 shares held by former "friends" can rob you.  If you think your government may serve a search warrant and take every last piece of paper from your office, your home, your car, and the vaults of all of your banks, we hope they will only get 14 shares.  Now is the time you hope some of your friends can find those secrets you gave them 10 years ago and you hope you can remember where are those secrets you buried in the wilderness in 7 different states.  [Are you paranoid?]

If you think Bitcoin will continue to rise in value long into the future, there's other fun stuff you can do with a virtual currency.  Ever hear of the bottle of scotch shared by a group of close friends.  When the next-to-last person dies, the sole remaining survivor gathers his new friends and makes a toast to his old buddies.  For Bitcoin, let all five (or whatever) friends deposit some bitcoin into a "treasure chest".  Split the private key into 5 of 5 shares.  Each person bequeaths a copy of their secret share to their other four buddies.  Only when the last surviving buddy gets all four preceding bequests and combines it with his own secret can he open the treasure chest to retrieve the bitcoins that have been there for the last 60 years.  Or maybe the last two buddies want to get together to share the contents of the treasure chest while they are still young, so to speak.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 06:33:16 AM

I think human readable text is the only safe and secure long-term storage method.  Whether carved onto stone tables and stored in a pyramid, written with pencil on non-acidic paper, embossed on good old-fashioned Dymo label-maker tape, or etched on corrosion-resistant metal.

This.

You can add, etched on plastic, sequenced on letter beads, embroidered on cloth.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 08:45:12 AM

I'm curious why you think its no longer likely that BTC values will continue to explode, and where you think they might stabilize?
It seems to me that unless a competitor emerges it will likely continue to gain massive amounts of market share, as it is still relatively tiny and even tinier when you consider that most bitcoins never get traded, they are just held, like gold. Also we've only scratched the surface with the first few dozen(?ish?) businesses accepting bitcoin. If its viable its acceptance as currency will almost certainly go up by a factor of 100x or more. I'd think that would cause its value to continue to increase dramatically until it begins to approach market saturation, which I would conservatively guess would be around 30-50% of all online businesses.

I never did think it likely that BTC would explode.  Even as I pumped in 5 figures of USD I always expected it most likely that I would realize a total loss.  To me it was always a long-shot speculation, but one with a potentially massive pay-out.  Because of my mindset it has been easy to not sell even when I'm up 10x.  I actually recently cashed out a fraction because a counterparty was interested and I had confidence that he thoroughly understood the risks and could absorb the loss.  Now I'm even more relaxed about it Smiley

That said, I have more confidence in the potential for Bitcoin to 'explode' now than I ever have in the past.  It's a bit of an odd thing for me because I have 'enthusiast' and 'political' interests in Bitcoin as well as purely speculative ones, and Bitcoin will make me more rich if it evolves in the opposite direction than I would like to see for philosophical reasons.

There are, in my opinion, a fair number of potential failure modes.  Including:

- We saw in the recent fork episode that the solution remains quite untested on the margins that we are approaching.  I expect we'll see more of this sort of thing.

- I believe that a concerted effort by corp/gov to limit the solution could be more effective than a lot of people think.

- Unlike gold which has few plausible and zero realistic replacements, one guy tweaking the code for an evening can produce something which is in some ways superior.  I don't rule out the possibility that one such solution could 'take', or that there would be a bifurcation which would sap value from Bitcoin proper.

On the plus side, the Bitcoin system is actually pretty simple and (therefor) pretty robust at this point.  The block chain even more so.  Many potential fixes or replacements could make use of the block chain making ownership of secret keys which control value within the chain potentially valuable even under a collapse scenario of Bitcoin itself.

Max Kieser's assertion that even just a 1% FOREX market share would lead to $100,000 per bitcoin seems pretty incredible. However, 1% of the global currency market actually seems kind of low for a viable online anonymous currency. 

I hope he is right, and believe it very possible that he is.  I don't believe he is anyone's fool, and I do believe that he has a pretty good grasp of economics, markets, power politics, and of the technical aspects of virtual-foo.

My guess is that in 5-10 years bitcoin will be worth well over $1,000 per bitcoin and continue to go up from there. I'd be very interested to hear what others here think will happen.

I've always felt that if Bitcoin does much of anything it will do a lot.  Probably more and faster than you are stating.  The value it has is somewhat proportional to sum of the global economic activity (which is gigantic), and it is very powerful in terms of the straight-up capabilities that it has.

Along these lines, I've also theorized that the success of Bitcoin will probably end up being associated with the failure of other alternatives as much as anything.

FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 06:21:06 PM

Math.

This math is above my head, can you please explain?

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:16:12 PM

Math.

People have a hard time with big numbers.  Bitcoin addresses are 160 bit hashes, meaning that there are 2160 or 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976 possible addresses.  Your chance of finding a private key that generates a public key that hashes to the address in my signature is about 1 in 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976.

If you don't care about matching an exact key, but just any other key, the birthday problem says that you need a lot fewer attempts.  The approximate number is sqrt(2*H*ln(1/(1-p))) where H is the number of possible addresses and p is the probability you are willing to live with.

If you are willing to take a 1% probability, then you need to try roughly 171464281994822466873809 different keys.  That number is 24 digits long, or a bit over 277.  For comparison, at block # 227663, the amount of work embedded in the hash chain was 899359750187287492752, which is a bit less than 270.

So, if you had the enough computing power to do in one year what the entire global bitcoin network did in 4+ years, it would take you about 27=128 years to have a 1% chance to find a single address collision.  And the odds are really good that you'd find one of your own addresses a second time, not one with money in it.

I'm not checking my numbers very carefully, so I might be somewhat off along the way, but even if I'm off by a lot, you still don't need to worry about it.

FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 10:32:50 PM

Math.

People have a hard time with big numbers.  Bitcoin addresses are 160 bit hashes, meaning that there are 2160 or 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976 possible addresses.  Your chance of finding a private key that generates a public key that hashes to the address in my signature is about 1 in 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976.

If you don't care about matching an exact key, but just any other key, the birthday problem says that you need a lot fewer attempts.  The approximate number is sqrt(2*H*ln(1/(1-p))) where H is the number of possible addresses and p is the probability you are willing to live with.

If you are willing to take a 1% probability, then you need to try roughly 171464281994822466873809 different keys.  That number is 24 digits long, or a bit over 277.  For comparison, at block # 227663, the amount of work embedded in the hash chain was 899359750187287492752, which is a bit less than 270.

So, if you had the enough computing power to do in one year what the entire global bitcoin network did in 4+ years, it would take you about 27=128 years to have a 1% chance to find a single address collision.  And the odds are really good that you'd find one of your own addresses a second time, not one with money in it.

I'm not checking my numbers very carefully, so I might be somewhat off along the way, but even if I'm off by a lot, you still don't need to worry about it.

thank you for taking the time to type all that out kjj. for anyone else reference i found a good reddit page that explains it well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/15t8xx/explain_offline_paper_wallets_like_im_five/

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: