Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:27:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For God's sake, don't sell for speculation!  (Read 3267 times)
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:30:03 PM

buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy

Your panic button does not work.
it did work for the last 8hours

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
becoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:54:05 PM

He offers two-factor auth, where you hold half of the private key in your storage, the other half is on the coin.
I know now he is offering 2F auth but many people still not bother to use it. Any idea what % of all the casascius bitcoins already in circulation are 2F auth?
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:03:17 PM

He offers two-factor auth, where you hold half of the private key in your storage, the other half is on the coin.
I know now he is offering 2F auth but many people still not bother to use it. Any idea what % of all the casascius bitcoins already in circulation are 2F auth?

Most possibly, still small percentage-wise - but the bigger players, who buy 1000BTC bars, get 2F auth by default. That said, I would easily trust Mike with large amounts. Completely transparent about personal details, having a good running business, makes zero sense to lose your (quite large I would imagine) personal savings and become some criminal on the run for the rest of your life. And he should also have planned this in advance, by recording all private keys - so this must be a conscious decision. Very low chances, I'd say. Not zero, but on par with your fiat banker running with your money.

i am satoshi
13Charlie

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:33:10 PM

SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low) SELL (if you bought low)

Put a little money back in your pocket and take your wife out for a nice dinner because she deserves it after watching you sit at the computer all night and eat, sleep, breathe and crap Bitcoin for the last few years.

No signature necessary
RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:09:40 PM

buy high , sell low ...

wait ..

got that backwards....

buy low , sell high ....
hopefully no harm done... Wink

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:44:41 PM

Probably now is a good time to sell lots.  You can thank me later.

And what would you allow me to do to you in case that turns out to be the wrong decision?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:17:38 PM

Probably now is a good time to sell lots.  You can thank me later.

That's pretty much exactly what you said at around $18, $8, $5, etc etc if my memory serves.  When you change your tune I'll start to get more concerned Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 01:33:42 AM

Edit: And blinded by greed probably
Not at all. I just feel sorry for those bitcoiner that have sold their precious bitcoins at $25 in anticipation of the "inevitable" correction! I think we have lost them. They are now bitcoin enemies.
Sorry, if there's any "enemy" under my roof, it's the algorithm to which I've pledged my daytrading purse. The #1 rule of making money in markets is that unless you are a wizard, you must ignore your gut and stick to the plan. Especially for someone such as I, who have long ago given up on trying to understand the ridiculous moves of the BTC/USD exchange rate. And that plan has dictated incremental profit-taking (read: selling) since the current rally began, proportional to the increase.

Of course, the plan also dictates rebuying every time there is a downward motion. Which I've been doing too. Smiley

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
13Charlie

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 04:50:47 PM

.... ignore your gut and stick to the plan.
+1

But the little voice in my head keeps telling me otherwise . . .Must  . . .Make . . . It . . . Stop

No signature necessary
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 07:50:35 PM

.... ignore your gut and stick to the plan.
+1

But the little voice in my head keeps telling me otherwise . . .Must  . . .Make . . . It . . . Stop
It's becoming harder for me, too. I keep wanting to either buy more BTC because the train has been rolling for a month with no sign of slowing, or sell my wallet because the peak seems to have arrived. I keep having to remind myself that in a market this volatile, cold, pitiless math is the only thing I can trust.

I wonder if it ever gets easier.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
13Charlie

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 08:26:28 PM

I wonder if it ever gets easier.
Let me know if you find that it does.

No signature necessary
Troll Toll

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 08:28:43 PM

I sold some at $30. does this mean I am an enemy of bitcoin?

You gotta pay
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 08:40:04 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2013, 08:57:54 PM by casascius

Sellers ought to sell whenever they feel like it, sooner than later if that's how they feel.

The higher the price gets, the bigger it will fall (temporarily) when sellers on the fence all decide at the same time that they better hurry and sell.  That's the opposite of stability.  So, if $46 or whatever sounds like a good haul for your coins... it's a good time to take it before somebody else does.

BTW if someone asked me what temptation I have to steal everybody's Casascius coin money, the answer would be none... not primarily because i'm such a great guy per se... and it's true I don't want to be on the run to avoid getting my ass kicked... but there's something about "I really didn't keep the keys" that negates the potential for temptation simply by being true to the only person who can know that with certainty: myself.  I have never felt the need to steal anybody's money, not now nor ever in the future, so I have never laid plans to do so.

On the one hand, it is understood that I can't prove I didn't keep them, and it's prudent to assume that I could have kept the keys and to assess one's own risk in terms of an assumption that I kept them.  On the other hand, for me to be tempted, I would have had to actually keep the keys, and I didn't so...the answer is zero.

I never think of "what could I do if I stole everybody's money", in fact I become somewhat anxious about the opposite: "how differently might people behave if they believe that I could steal their money even if I really can't?"... it's like a liability of sorts only because people imagine it to potentially exist.  This is part of why I offer 1000 BTC items as two-factor by default - it's a simple and practical way to lessen that perceived liability to some degree.  It's too impractical for 1BTC coins, but definitely not for the biggies.  (Two factor items also don't show up on Casascius Coin trackers since their addresses cannot be known in advance)

(Ironically, if I switch to doing oversize anodized aluminum coins that I can engrave with a laser, I might be able to make cheap small 2-factor coins in the future...we'll see how it works out!)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Troll Toll

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 08:43:40 PM

I was just kidding, of course. OP is retarded if he thinks anyone who ever sells a bitcoin is the enemy.

You gotta pay
donjoe

Activity: 183

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:03:54 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2013, 09:14:44 PM by donjoe

that plan has dictated incremental profit-taking (read: selling) since the current rally began, proportional to the increase.

Of course, the plan also dictates rebuying every time there is a downward motion. Which I've been doing too. Smiley
Yeah, I find it odd how many people talk about big buy-ins and cash-outs at specific prices as if they were final moves after which there should be no more hope to get back in the game. It doesn't matter when you got in or out, you can still speculate - just keep watching the trends and move when the time is right.

I cashed out at $27 to recoup my losses from 2011 when I had bought in at $19, only to find the damned thing had no intention of stopping yet, so I bought in again at $34 and cashed out again today at $47. Clearly not all is lost if you're out "too early" - depending on the trends and on your ability to stay careful and keep it proportional, you can still collect some of the honey later.

▮█     KRYLL     ▮█     AUTOMATED CRYPTO TRADING STRATEGIES MADE SIMPLE     ▮█
▁▁   ▮ █     Whitepaper   █   Token sale will start on Feb 7, 2018   █   Announcement     █ ▮   ▁▁
╚═══════●  ﹙ Telegram ﹚  ●●  ﹙ Twitter ﹚  ●●  ﹙ Facebook ﹚  ═══════╝
becoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:44:16 PM

I cashed out at $27 to recoup my losses from 2011 when I had bought in at $19, only to find the damned thing had no intention of stopping yet, so I bought in again at $34 and cashed out again today at $47.
Some famous quotes:

He who never makes a mistake never makes anything.
He who makes the same mistake twice is a fool.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 03:59:13 PM

I plan to sell when I can draw enough off to live while having enough to let grow. I want to take time off from slavery and do some things I want to do. My obligations prevented me from acquiring as much as I wanted, but it is enough. When I do start selling, I will know that it was for a great cause and not mere speculation.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: