Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:18:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet suddenly empty  (Read 3039 times)
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6512

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2016, 04:08:37 PM

You data directory is /Users/test/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin. This is where everything should be. Put a backup of your wallet.dat in that folder.

If your wallet is encrypted, the one that Bitcoin Core is using is not encrypted.
Hello Knightdk,

After restarting Bitcoin Core (when the Chain was fully in this morning) there was only one file in that directory "Bitcoin", called "wallet.dat"
I have no clue where all other files are that were made, no "log file", no "peers", no file nothing.

With that newly created "wallet.dat" file, the wallet of coarse showed 0,0000000 btc.

I replaced that file with the old file "wallet.dat" and the wallet still shows 0.00000000 btc.

I am lost.

That is very perplexing indeed. Would you be willing to allow me to remote desktop into your computer to figure this out?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Prutser112 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 04:20:53 PM

Did you happen to download an infected copy of bitcoin-core? Specifically, check the PGP key of the downloaded file?
 I have not come across one yet but it is certainly possible that some no good fraudster is using a modified bitcoin-core executable and stealing people's money.
Hello Maskali,

I downloaded from www.bitcoin.org, I don't think there is infected wallets available there.

What do you mean by "check the PGP key of the downloaded file"?
I am not very deep in this matter.

The Coins I bought are not transferred to another wallet, that was checked by the selling company.
So it doesn't look like fraud, more like tech prob's, more specific, wrong install path, messing up new install etc.
Total lack of knowledge.

Now no clue on how to recover from all this.
masakali

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 05:19:20 PM

It is important to verify the integrity of Bitcoin Core. Even if you download it from bitcoin.org, it may have been modified in transit or even on your local network by malicious attacks and malware.

You should ensure that the release that you are about to install is signed by the Bitcoin Foundation.

Now that you have proceeded from this step, I suggest you enlist the help of senior members of this forum and let them have a look at the log files or access your program.
Prutser112 (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2016, 05:30:17 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2016, 09:05:29 PM by Prutser112

It is important to verify the integrity of Bitcoin Core. Even if you download it from bitcoin.org, it may have been modified in transit or even on your local network by malicious attacks and malware.

You should ensure that the release that you are about to install is signed by the Bitcoin Foundation.

Now that you have proceeded from this step, I suggest you enlist the help of senior members of this forum and let them have a look at the log files or access your program.

Hello Masakali,

Come back to it later.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2016, 06:03:02 PM

Thats a very borderline scenario. Its good practise to always check signatures and hashes, but doing so now is not helping the cause. If you asssume a system is compromised you shouldnt trust it anyway.

You would be suprised how many high ranked members have no idea what they are talking about. If knightdk is at it OP is in good hands though. Same goes for advice from cr1776.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Prutser112 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 01:22:12 PM

You data directory is /Users/test/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin. This is where everything should be. Put a backup of your wallet.dat in that folder.

If your wallet is encrypted, the one that Bitcoin Core is using is not encrypted.
Hello Knightdk,

After restarting Bitcoin Core (when the Chain was fully in this morning) there was only one file in that directory "Bitcoin", called "wallet.dat"
I have no clue where all other files are that were made, no "log file", no "peers", no file nothing.

With that newly created "wallet.dat" file, the wallet of coarse showed 0,0000000 btc.

I replaced that file with the old file "wallet.dat" and the wallet still shows 0.00000000 btc.

I am lost.

That is very perplexing indeed. Would you be willing to allow me to remote desktop into your computer to figure this out?

Update:  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks to, and with the help of www.bitonic.nl , I got all my Bitcoins back!
I uploaded the wallet.dat file through a secured upload-link to them and they managed to transfer the wallet content to another type wallet.

May I thank everybody here for their support also?

Even though I still don't know the reason for the troubles

Topic can be closed.
bitcoinisfurture

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 03:54:33 AM

This is quote surprise to read the thread that your wallet btc got empty suddenly without you doing anything. There would certainly be some cause of error or deletion due to which it went empty. Else you would have seen a trail in case if transfer would have taken place from one to another wallet.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 12:01:04 AM

Hello Knightdk,

I am lost.

Update:  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks to, and with the help of www.somescammyshitsite , I got all my Bitcoins back!
I uploaded the wallet.dat file through a secured upload-link to them and they managed to transfer the wallet content to another type wallet.

Topic can be closed.

I do believe this whole thread was a troll to try to get noobs to send their wallet.dat file to this place. Droll. Roll Eyes

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
lolxxxx
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2016, 12:04:35 AM

Hello Knightdk,

I am lost.

Update:  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks to, and with the help of www.somescammyshitsite , I got all my Bitcoins back!

Topic can be closed.

I do believe this whole thread was a troll to try to get noobs to send their wallet.dat file to this place. Droll. Roll Eyes

hahahah >.<
3 Pages for this topic and at the end the site helped him Smiley lol

@OP you can lock this thread, You can find the lock button in the left bottom.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: