Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:52:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Idea of Digital Trading Cards  (Read 655 times)
moelevstone (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:01:38 AM

Would it be feasible to create a kind of p2p digital trading card using some of the concepts from Bitcoin? I have been thinking about this, so I wanted some feedback. Here's what I have in mind.

Collectors collect, sell, or trade the "proof of ownership" to a digital asset which is stored in the network. Miners mine for the "right" to introduce new digital assets, or rather "proof of ownership," into the network. The idea would not amount to a currency, but it would serve more as a digital approach to the old concept of trading cards.

Of course, people could copy the digital asset itself, but the "ownership" would be limited.

So, what say you all? Dumb idea? Not feasible? Cool?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
moelevstone (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:07:49 AM

That could be cool and feasible, but I wouldn't call it trading cards, but it could be cool to have like things you own and battle and stuff like that...
I had in mind specifically sports cards, but I had also thought about things like Pokemon cards. Is that what you have in mind?
btcards

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:11:12 AM

Would it be feasible to create a kind of p2p digital trading card using some of the concepts from Bitcoin? I have been thinking about this, so I wanted some feedback. Here's what I have in mind.

Collectors collect, sell, or trade the "proof of ownership" to a digital asset which is stored in the network. Miners mine for the "right" to introduce new digital assets, or rather "proof of ownership," into the network. The idea would not amount to a currency, but it would serve more as a digital approach to the old concept of trading cards.

Of course, people could copy the digital asset itself, but the "ownership" would be limited.

So, what say you all? Dumb idea? Not feasible? Cool?

Funny, I was thinking of the same idea basically...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134798.0

Little different on who the cards would be about ( they are forum members here haha)  but basic concept and wanted to figure out a way to autheticate them. If you want to team up let me know I can produce them both physically and digitally but don't know now to keep them authentic.
robot_boy

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:12:29 AM

Okay, I am attempting to wrap my head around this and here is where I am running into issues. Trading cards and other collectible objects tend to get some of their appeal from what they are. Baseball cards had the stats for the players, MtG had a game attached to it, vases are pretty and hold flowers well, old toys are neat, coins are pretty and have historic value, etc. What you are producing only makes people want it because of its rarity which is honestly where a lot of collectibles get the vast majority of their value. The thing is that there is going to be no reason to collect it other than bragging rights and potential trading. Basically its only value is as a currency. Without some sort of hook to get people interested in it for reasons other than trading you are effectively just making a currency.

It just occurred to me I misunderstood part of it. If an actual asset was created, such as art work or a piece in a game then that would put it more in line with the other things. I was thinking that people were just creating assets in a sort of ethereal way and generating ownership. Basically assets 0-1000 exist and a collector is attempting to get ownership of one of each or all of the 1s or whatever. New assets are created forcing collectors to constantly update their collections. Sorry, my misunderstanding.
moelevstone (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:19:36 AM

Okay, I am attempting to wrap my head around this and here is where I am running into issues. Trading cards and other collectible objects tend to get some of their appeal from what they are. Baseball cards had the stats for the players, MtG had a game attached to it, vases are pretty and hold flowers well, old toys are neat, coins are pretty and have historic value, etc. What you are producing only makes people want it because of its rarity which is honestly where a lot of collectibles get the vast majority of their value. The thing is that there is going to be no reason to collect it other than bragging rights and potential trading. Basically its only value is as a currency. Without some sort of hook to get people interested in it for reasons other than trading you are effectively just making a currency.
That was kind of the idea. I wasn't shooting for a currency so much as giving value to the cards. For example, were I to create a website of "trading cards" people could infinitely copy them because of the nature of them. However, if this could somehow be attached to "proof of ownership" then while the "content" of the card could be infinitely copied the ownership would not.

I'm sure my thoughts are clear as mud, but I'm exploring to see if the idea would even be feasible or worthwhile to pursue because it'd be a serious learning curve for me to do something like this.
moelevstone (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:22:17 AM

Little different on who the cards would be about ( they are forum members here haha)  but basic concept and wanted to figure out a way to autheticate them. If you want to team up let me know I can produce them both physically and digitally but don't know now to keep them authentic.
Yep, I came across your post while searching to see if the idea had been floated. It seems kind of related to my idea. Though, I'm still green to the concepts behind Bitcoin, but I was thinking of something similar to a separate blockchain to serve as an "ownership" chain.

As for teaming up, I have nothing to offer more than the idea of "wouldn't it be cool if ..." I don't have the technical skills to implement anything like this. Smiley
moelevstone (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:24:07 AM

That could be cool and feasible, but I wouldn't call it trading cards, but it could be cool to have like things you own and battle and stuff like that...
I had in mind specifically sports cards, but I had also thought about things like Pokemon cards. Is that what you have in mind?

I was thinking magic the gathering I had some of those as kid and i remember the battles were cool and fun. Sports cards would be cool, but I mean I have sports cards and I see them gaining in value, yet I think the only way if these digital cards to gain value is hoping more and more people jump on just like bitcoin. And I just don't know if that would happen.
I see exactly what you were thinking now. That would be really interesting.

And, you're right about the needing more and more people jumping on board.
btcards

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:25:04 AM

Yep, I came across your post while searching to see if the idea had been floated. It seems kind of related to my idea. Though, I'm still green to the concepts behind Bitcoin, but I was thinking of something similar to a separate blockchain to serve as an "ownership" chain.

As for teaming up, I have nothing to offer more than the idea of "wouldn't it be cool if ..." I don't have the technical skills to implement anything like this. Smiley

Gotcha,gotcha  Wink Great minds think a like! haha....  I know I was trying to think how to autheticate against the blockchain also one thing I had thought of was a qr code when scanned in linked back to the txt ID or bitcoin payment address of the user ...only thing is if you wanted to transfer ownership not sure how that takes place.
moelevstone (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 04:30:09 AM

Gotcha,gotcha  Wink Great minds think a like! haha....  I know I was trying to think how to autheticate against the blockchain also one thing I had thought of was a qr code when scanned in linked back to the txt ID or bitcoin payment address of the user ...only thing is if you wanted to transfer ownership not sure how that takes place.
The transfer of ownership would take place much like transactions with Bitcoins. That is, they would be recorded in the new blocks generated by miners (or "publishers").

The payment for "ownership" would take place "outside" of the system. They could be paid for with cash, BTC, given away for free, or whatever.

The idea, in my system, is that any miner can become a publisher. Where as Bitcoin gives "coins" for mining, the idea I have would give the miner "rights to publish" to the system. There would be no maximum limit on how many cards could actually be published to the system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: