Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:55:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating little mining rig network  (Read 2173 times)
portosTCM (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:32:45 PM

Hi.
My friends and I have couple strong PC's running on Win7 OS. I want to connect our rigs using poolserver. Power of our computers should be enough to 'solo' mining so we don't want  to join to big poolserver but make a own one. We don't need to share income. We want to have one wallet for btc's and use it in common bussiness.

Is this possible that one computer has this wallet running and rest of computers has only miner-role?

Which poolserver application fits best for our expectations? (i prefer poolserverj beceause it works on windows)

How to configure poolserver to keep income in one wallet?

How to configure miners to work in web like this? (i prefer cgminer or guiminer)

What are requirements for network bandwith? Home network can handle it or we have to loan vps? (aproximately 15-20 of computers)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IntrepidMiner

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:19:05 PM

The fact of the matter is that you will not have enough to solo mine effectively unless you have ASICs or a whole ton of FPGAs. Assume that you have five really beefy graphics cards running at 600Mhash/s each. With 3,000Mhash/s, you will find a block on average every 80 days at the current difficulty, which isn't worth it.

Instead, I would recommend setting up a P2pool node (just a computer running bitcoin and p2pool) and pointing all your miners towards it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.0

You get that great solo mining experience, the excitement of finding shares (which is almost as cool as finding blocks) except that you will actually get to make some coinage before the difficulty continues to jump over the next few weeks/months.

Alternatively, some people would tell you to join a regular pool because it will be a lot easier to set up. More yet will tell you to stop mining because unless you have free electricity it isn't worth the cost. Personally though, I would tell you to go ahead and try it, just to say that you have done it before, with the understanding that you will not make much.

Have fun!
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 10:00:15 PM

Hi.
My friends and I have couple strong PC's running on Win7 OS. I want to connect our rigs using poolserver. Power of our computers should be enough to 'solo' mining so we don't want  to join to big poolserver but make a own one. We don't need to share income. We want to have one wallet for btc's and use it in common bussiness.

Is this possible that one computer has this wallet running and rest of computers has only miner-role?

Which poolserver application fits best for our expectations? (i prefer poolserverj beceause it works on windows)

How to configure poolserver to keep income in one wallet?

How to configure miners to work in web like this? (i prefer cgminer or guiminer)

What are requirements for network bandwith? Home network can handle it or we have to loan vps? (aproximately 15-20 of computers)

What Mhash/s do you get when you add up all the PC's?
GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:14:27 PM

P2Pool  ha..worst payouts I have ever had.

anyway,
You can setup your own stratum proxy pool that can handle ASIC speeds. Poolserverj AFAIK does not support the version 2 blocks and likely never will. 
I doubt you will have enough to solo mine long if your talking GPU's just like interpidminer said.  Whats a strong PC anyway?  The PC is hardly relevant to BTC mining that's why a Rasberry Pie can be used, its the AMD video cards FPGA or ASIC that matters.
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:49:18 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 12:07:54 AM by mokahless

Hi.
My friends and I have couple strong PC's running on Win7 OS. I want to connect our rigs using poolserver. Power of our computers should be enough to 'solo' mining so we don't want  to join to big poolserver but make a own one. We don't need to share income. We want to have one wallet for btc's and use it in common bussiness.

1. Is this possible that one computer has this wallet running and rest of computers has only miner-role?

2. Which poolserver application fits best for our expectations? (i prefer poolserverj beceause it works on windows)

3. How to configure poolserver to keep income in one wallet?

4. How to configure miners to work in web like this? (i prefer cgminer or guiminer)

5. What are requirements for network bandwith? Home network can handle it or we have to loan vps? (aproximately 15-20 of computers)

1. Mining and having a wallet are completely separate so... yes.

2. Just use bitcoind. You have proven you don't need a poolserver with this statement:
"We don't need to share income. We want to have one wallet for btc's and use it in common bussiness."
So run bitcoind, forward the ports and connect.

A reason for the poolserver though might be for stats. I have no experience with any pool servers besides p2pool nodes, so I can't help there.

3. As I said, mine to bitcoind and it will all go into one wallet.

4. Just like you configure them now. You can set the password and username in the bitcoin.conf file. You can use dyndns or no-ip or another dynamic ip service to point to the pool.

5. Certainly not very high. P2pool seems a bit demanding and I haven't gone over 30KB/s in spikes. This is with two friends mining (1.5-2GH/s total) and up to 25 total connected peers. (I might cap my peers to 5 and 5 soon though due to bandwidth caps).
So that is P2Pool and I only tell you about that because I am unsure of bitcoind but I know it would be less.

I am going to put this in bold in case you didn't actually look into the requirements for solo mining:
At the current difficulty, you will need 240GH/s to average mining one block per day. If you do not have this, solo mining is not plausible.
In less than 2 weeks, this requirement will increase to 320GH/s

So by "strong PCs" I hope you mean quadfire 7970s and by "a couple friends" I hope you mean 30+
--> This would average you 2 blocks per week until 3 days from now... then with the difficulty change, it would be more like 1-2 per week

If you mean what I think you mean and that you have 3 friends where one has a 7970, one has a 6970, one has crossfire 6870s and you have maybe crossfire 7970s, you could go your entire lives without finding a block solo. Because that would total ~2.6GH/s and it would take an average of 3 months to find a block. And this doesn't take into account the fact that every 2 weeks, the difficulty changes, further making the average time longer and longer. That fact alone makes it extremely unlikely you will ever find one.

Instead, I would recommend setting up a P2pool node (just a computer running bitcoin and p2pool) and pointing all your miners towards it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=18313.0
I personally like this idea and as I have mentioned above, it is what I do. The disadvantage of P2Pool is the same as solo mining, just reduced. This is only because P2Pool is currently only 300-400GH/s strong. Which introduces a lot of variance. For example:
A bit over a week ago, we went a whole couple days without finding a block.
The past few days have been very plentiful. I have made a lot of coin.

The other disadvantage is the payout system. It uses PPLNS. If you mine on and off, your payouts will be smaller than "normal" pools. You cannot get a real view of your profits until you mine non-stop for at least 24-hours and then wait for the next block. I've been getting about 0.06BTC/ block found.

Therefore, before suggesting joining my pool I did two thing:
1. Asked my friends if they intended to mine at or close to 24-7.
2. Had them set up a backup pool on BTCGuild PPS without using --failover-only.

I hope that at some point p2pool will become large enough to remove the variance. This will make it more attractive. Kind of a chicken and egg problem though. Need less variance to attract more people... need more people to achieve less variance.

P2Pool  ha..worst payouts I have ever had.

Read above.
P2Pool also had software problems until late last year that caused issues and lower-than-expected payouts.

portosTCM (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:07:23 AM

I'll give you some explanation - why we decided to use solo minig and won't change our mind.
We're live in student hostel, we don't pay for electricity or internet connection so profitability is improving. I am going to get our first block with current squad and then publicize our success to gain more students in our case - then create large network. It is possible because our campus is really big.

Meanwhile we done some tests. I started bitcoin qt on my computer and cgminer's on my friends computers it all went well. Their got hashes every moment, but I still have some questions.

If a start many cgminer's connected to my bitcoin qt client it will work optimally? Can I adjust efficiency of this connection?

How to check number of connected persons and amount of their Mh/s using bitcoin qt?
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:16:01 PM

How to check number of connected persons and amount of their Mh/s using bitcoin qt?
To my knowledge, this cannot be done. Which is what I meant by stats before.
At least, I haven't found way, though my use of bitcoind for mining directly is limited.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: