Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:52:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitinstant Down - Alternative MoneyGram Options?  (Read 1240 times)
overdoze (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 10:40:33 PM

As the title suggests, I desperately need a way to fund my Mt.Gox account via moneygram. Since Bitinstant is down, and there is no way to know when it will be back up, I was wondering if there's any other way to send cash to my Mt.Gox account. Please help.

The way I did it before was I would just pick the moneygram option on Bitinstant and go to CVS and give them the money. I'm looking for a similar method.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:19:40 AM

The way I did it before was I would just pick the moneygram option on Bitinstant and go to CVS and give them the money. I'm looking for a similar method.

Ziggap accepts Western Union for purchase through their service:
 - http://www.Ziggap.com

There are cash deposit methods in many countries, including the U.S. (BitMe allows cash deposit through Chase bank, BitFloor allows cash deposit through Bank of America), Canada, Australia, and others.  

The factors that matter in order to give you the best answer include:

- Where are you located (country)?
 - How much are you looking to buy?
 - What payment methods do you have available?
 - How soon do you need access to the proceeds?
 - Is privacy important?

A fairly comprehensive list of options is compiled here:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

overdoze (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:20:03 AM

Ziggap accepts Western Union for purchase through their service:
 - http://www.Ziggap.com

There are cash deposit methods in many countries, including the U.S. (BitMe allows cash deposit through Chase bank, BitFloor allows cash deposit through Bank of America), Canada, Australia, and others.  

The factors that matter in order to give you the best answer include:

- Where are you located (country)?
 - How much are you looking to buy?
 - What payment methods do you have available?
 - How soon do you need access to the proceeds?
 - Is privacy important?

A fairly comprehensive list of options is compiled here:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

Yeah I looked into BitFloor. I live in the US, and my current method of payment is limited to Cash Deposits. I like BitFloor so far. My one question is: Are the rates similar to Mt.Gox? Or more expensive? Rates as in how much a single bitcoin costs.

Additional Info:
I'm only looking to buy 8. I'd like to access if fairly quickly, but I'm in no rush. Privacy isn't a huge deal for me, I suppose.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:24:58 AM

Yeah I looked into BitFloor. I live in the US, and my current method of payment is limited to Cash Deposits. I like BitFloor so far. My one question is: Are the rates similar to Mt.Gox? Or more expensive? Rates as in how much a single bitcoin costs.

Additional Info:
I'm only looking to buy 8. I'd like to access if fairly quickly, but I'm in no rush. Privacy isn't a huge deal for me, I suppose.

Have you looked at https://localbitcoins.com/ at all?

If you are located anywhere around the Greater Chicagoland Area, I'd be willing to meet up and do the exchange for you at the MtGox Ask price, no fees, no markup.

Generally if you're not in a rush, I'd offer to do the exchange for you if you are willing to mail cash, but at the moment you'd have to be sure that you could get the mail to me before Saturday (I've got to go out of town for a bit after that, as indicated in my signature line).
overdoze (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:28:54 AM

Additional Info:

Have you looked at https://localbitcoins.com/ at all?

If you are located anywhere around the Greater Chicagoland Area, I'd be willing to meet up and do the exchange for you at the MtGox Ask price, no fees, no markup.

Generally if you're not in a rush, I'd offer to do the exchange for you if you are willing to mail cash, but at the moment you'd have to be sure that you could get the mail to me before Saturday (I've got to go out of town for a bit after that, as indicated in my signature line).

Yeah, but the price anyone near me is asking for is ludicrous. I appreciate your mail offer, but I really want to have my funds available by the end of tomorrow. Mailing just wouldn't allow me to do that.

Also, anyone know how complicated it is to make a cash deposit at the Bank of America? Is it as simple and quick as Money Gram via CVS?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:41:15 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 11:20:08 PM by DannyHamilton

Also, anyone know how complicated it is to make a cash deposit at the Bank of America? Is it as simple and quick as Money Gram via CVS?

Simpler, and quicker.

Just make sure you have all the information with you.  Go up to a teller and ask for an "Out of State deposit slip" (unless you happen to be located in New York).

Fill out the slip, hand it to the teller with the cash.  Walk out with your receipt.

If you didn't make any mistakes on the deposit slip, and you deposited the correct amount of cash, you'll probably find the funds waiting for you at BitFloor when you get home.

I have found that the exchange rate at BitFloor hasn't been as good as MtGox lately.  Also, you'll find there isn't quite as much availability (liquidity) at BitFloor, so you'll get more slippage if you buy large quantities.

As an example, at the moment you can buy bitcoin at BitFloor for 39.98 right now, and about 36.95 at MtGox.  If you buy more than 15 BTC at Bitfloor, you'll see the exchange rate start to rise over 41.50

EDIT: As of 2013-04-17 BitFloor has ceased all operations.
babcoccl

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:40:29 PM

Coinbase is a promising way to buy bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: