Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:18:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I trash my GPU mining, or is there a way to recover it somehow?  (Read 806 times)
Account (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:49:25 AM

Hey!

In the past 5 days I've just gotten into Bitcoin mining with my HD7970 using the latest version of Guiminer, I figured I'd have it run when I'm not using my computer. The maximum temperature of the card never went above 80, and I kept it at 65-70 (it's nice and cool where I am so it was easy to keep my computer cool)

Tonight, however, something unexpected happened: pretty much instantly after I hit "Start Mining" on Guiminer, my computer restarted itself and it can't see my 7970 anymore. I'm stuck using my integrated card, and would love to know if I didn't permanently fuck up my card, however I'm prepared to hear the worst Sad

Does anyone know what happened here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:50:59 AM

Hey!

In the past 5 days I've just gotten into Bitcoin mining with my HD7970 using the latest version of Guiminer, I figured I'd have it run when I'm not using my computer. The maximum temperature of the card never went above 80, and I kept it at 65-70 (it's nice and cool where I am so it was easy to keep my computer cool)

Tonight, however, something unexpected happened: pretty much instantly after I hit "Start Mining" on Guiminer, my computer restarted itself and it can't see my 7970 anymore. I'm stuck using my integrated card, and would love to know if I didn't permanently fuck up my card, however I'm prepared to hear the worst Sad

Try reinstalling the drivers for the card and see, but I'm afraid you might have botched your card.  Sad
I burnt a few this way when GPU mining was viable.
Account (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:59:02 AM

Try reinstalling the drivers for the card and see, but I'm afraid you might have botched your card.  Sad
I burnt a few this way when GPU mining was viable.

I don't think drivers are the problem, as I don't even see the bios message when I boot my computer.

Well, this really sucks. Thank you for the help though, man Smiley
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 05:03:13 AM

Hey!

Is your power supply high quality?  Sometimes the supply will go when a power supply is just on the edge from mining.

Account (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:07:17 AM

Is your power supply high quality?  Sometimes the supply will go when a power supply is just on the edge from mining.

It's a Corsair HX850. Maybe 850watts wasn't enough for this?
Crystallas

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:07:20 AM

Had the same thing happen to me, but with a 6870. I dos-booted off a USB drive to see if atiflash found the device. Sure enough, it was picked up. So from there I did the standard things. Reseated the card(don't underestimate vibrations from all of the fans in the rig). Then I flashed a different, but slightly underclocked bios(this will void the warranty, and may not even work.) Then tried a different pci-e slot. And lastly, I just swapped power cables to work off different rails.

Well, all that fiddling, and it eventually came up.   RMA first, if you still have that option. But if you flash the bios, be 100% sure that it's the right bios for the card, as revisions and reference cards can seem identical, when they aren't. Also understand that you're responsible for any/all damage.
Account (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:16:14 AM

Had the same thing happen to me, but with a 6870. I dos-booted off a USB drive to see if atiflash found the device. Sure enough, it was picked up. So from there I did the standard things. Reseated the card(don't underestimate vibrations from all of the fans in the rig). Then I flashed a different, but slightly underclocked bios(this will void the warranty, and may not even work.) Then tried a different pci-e slot. And lastly, I just swapped power cables to work off different rails.

Well, all that fiddling, and it eventually came up.   RMA first, if you still have that option. But if you flash the bios, be 100% sure that it's the right bios for the card, as revisions and reference cards can seem identical, when they aren't. Also understand that you're responsible for any/all damage.

I've already tried reseating and different PCIe slots, but I haven't tried atiflash yet. I'll do some reading on that and give it a shot, thanks for the suggestion!
TooCasual

Activity: 114

You can't be Serious?!?

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:20:11 AM

Hmm, dunno my 3 Gigabyte (GV-R797TO-3GDO) have been to 95+ deg (Now around 88).  Still working.  Using Thermaltake toughpower 1200.  Still no issues.  Maybe just a bad card?

TC
Smt923

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:27:40 AM

It's a Corsair HX850. Maybe 850watts wasn't enough for this?

600w on a high quality PSU should be enough for any single gpu card, it might just be a faulty card, your best bet would be to return it and try get another/a refund.

When I mine at any decent speed on my 7850 my PC just cuts out and I have to fully power cycle it to get on, so it's worth getting a high quality PSU for mining (yours is good, Corsair should be fine, just a message to others)
Account (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:30:28 AM

I've had my card for a year now, and don't have the box for it anymore, so I don't know if I'd be able to RMA it.

My 7970 was an XFX card, are they known to conk out?
Smt923

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:33:18 AM

I've had my card for a year now, and don't have the box for it anymore, so I don't know if I'd be able to RMA it.

My 7970 was an XFX card, are they known to conk out?

XFX should be decent enough (IMO my favorite manufacturers are MSI and Sapphire but for the most part it's opinion I guess), it might just be that after time the power connector or some part on the PCB just wore out and mining on it just made it cave in or something, but yeah if you can't get a refund or something on it that sucks
Crystallas

Activity: 109

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:46:07 AM

Going strictly by manufacturer is pretty useless for reference designs now. It's more important to have good caps, chokes, and PCB. And most manufacturers release two models of the same card, one with higher end components, and the other with budget components.
rcv

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:17:04 AM

I'm prepared to hear the worst Sad
That's a bummer.  I hope your card has a good warranty.
Account (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:36:22 AM

I've tried the atiflash thing, and it can't see my card. Big bummer Sad

Shame that it died just a few days before the release of Bioshock: Infinite too.

Is there a way to see if my power supply has any flaws? I don't think it does, but I'd like to know in case it fries any other component

I'm prepared to hear the worst Sad
That's a bummer.  I hope your card has a good warranty.

I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of XFX
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: