Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:44:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategy for new alt coins  (Read 1169 times)
spndr7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 09:25:38 AM

New alt coins come and disappear after the initial interest and hope.But many people milk this small window of opportunity by collecting/mining and trading off before all the activity associated with it halts.

Can someone give strategy for taking out the maximum before a new coin dies out ? Predicting when the death of alt coin correctly is also important.So,the other question is how to decide sense the end is near ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 09:37:39 AM

There are not many dead ones anymore actually, just maybe tenebrix, fairbrix and liquidcoin, and even though liquidcoin is totally broken because its never changing difficulty is a really bad idea, you still see people run it from time to time.

So really the thing to do, especially if you are a small miner who won't get much coin mining high difficulty chains, is mine all the chains that the big miners pretend are dead. by pretending they are dead they are basically giving the little people a chance to mine them in peace.

there are still coins you can mine with a CPU, if you have a GPU then wow you can really grab coins, the supposedly "dead" coins are great for people with electricity included in their rent and just a GPU or maybe a CPU or few CPUs or cores.

People mined BBQcoin peacefully at low difficulty for many months, different people coming and going as they got as many BBQcoins as they felt they needed. Same with CoiledCoin and GeistGeld and GRouPcoin and I0coin. I never really got into tenebrix or fairbrix myself but chances are they are the same. If you are a small miner the key is to not bring your low difficulty coin to the attention of big miners, or if you do then hope there is no exchange or at least not one they can be bothered to use. (They tend to ignore Open Transactions so I0coin has been pretty nice for a long time even though you can trade it on an Open Transactions server.)

People have been ignoring so many chains for so long that I need to buy lots more RAM so I can run more of them at once!

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 01:37:58 PM

Somebody should exploit all the DoS bugs that have been fixed to put the dead altcoins out of their misery, starting with the BDB lock limit bug.

Because if they keep scraping along, the worst thing that could happen would be for them to suddenly get popular-- because then attackers WILL swoop in and cause chaos.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 02:16:37 PM

Yeah they all need various fixes. Increasing the number of BDB locks is a trivial one, many have much worse problems than that one.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: