Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:58:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Guild pool a 51% threat?  (Read 8835 times)
lightenup

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:23:09 PM

despite many peoples worst thoughts the vast majority of pooloperators are here to provide good quality mining experience to miners
That's also my impression. Well, I am a newbie, and I am sure this is easier suggested than implemented, but why not solve this problem with technical means?  e.g. let the mining clients check if their pool gives them a block of legitimate transactions to work on.

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 09:56:55 PM

Miners could voluntarily, do a small fractional amount of pool hopping,
For example, with BfgMiner, I can set up 5 Pools to mine at regular intervals, eg 1 hr each, or 1day each.
If 4 of those were the same pool and 1 were a different pool, then this would reduce my hashing power being sent to a big pool by 20%
They probably wouldn't lose very much if anything by this method, they might get lucky for that period and earn more.
They could even strengthen the network by making one of those pools a P2P pool.
Miners can voluntarily make a difference to the 51% problem.

Not that I'm mining very much with my 1.3 MH Gaw Scrypt Zeusminer  Grin

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2015, 10:18:34 PM

For example, with BfgMiner, I can set up 5 Pools to mine at regular intervals, eg 1 hr each, or 1day each.
If 4 of those were the same pool and 1 were a different pool, then this would reduce my hashing power being sent to a big pool by 20%
They probably wouldn't lose very much if anything by this method, they might get lucky for that period and earn more.

Alright... seriously, you revived two posts over 2 years old each and posted exactly the same reply to each.  What's the deal?  Just felt the need to find old posts that mentioned pools that might hit that magical 51% mark?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:25:31 AM

Not that the last comment has anything at all to do with Bitcoin ...

But if you were mining BTC ... with the original cgminer ... you simply need to mine multiple reliable pools (yeah there really are only a few Tongue)
and loadbalance them so you mine all at the same time.

This will also reduce your payout variance if you aren't mining PPS (not the fake PPS pools that are affected by block finding)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: