Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:33:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 91 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin now the strongest currency in the world?  (Read 42116 times)
melvster (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:43:58 PM

After the events of last week.

I was making this suggestion to some folks yesterday, but they claimed that bitcoin is too small.  Does it matter?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:45:50 PM

Nope, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get the numbers to start going down (compared to other currencies).
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:51:03 PM

Nope, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get the numbers to start going down (compared to other currencies).

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the truth.

Now, it does have the capability to become the strongest, so do take that into account.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 01:57:05 PM

Nah, gold is. But bitcoin has huge potential, even if limited by the State to "just" the black market.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1400
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:57:37 PM

I was making this suggestion to some folks yesterday, but they claimed that bitcoin is too small.  Does it matter?

I would compare bitcoin with a $7 stock that has a market capital of 800.000.000 U$S...
It's going up, but any big shot with, say, 100-500k can manipulate the stock considerably and pump it and dump it.
As the market capitalization of bitcoin grows, the currency will be resistant of those kinds of "attacks" and hopefully, the price, although it will continue to move up perpetually, it will slowdown considerably compared to today's volatility.

Anyway, a quicker answer to your questions is NO, it's not even close to being the strongest currency in the world.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:18:57 PM

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the truth.

Now, it does have the capability to become the strongest, so do take that into account.

I definitely agree that it could become one of the strongest currencies in the world, but right now it's very weak.

I would compare bitcoin with a $7 stock that has a market capital of 800.000.000 U$S...
It's going up, but any big shot with, say, 100-500k can manipulate the stock considerably and pump it and dump it.

^ Good explanation of how I view it, bitcoin will be strong when it can't be moved with a "small" amount of money.
enygma

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:59:22 PM

Bitcoin isn't the strongest currency for reasons stated, but it is among one of the most valuable.

Obligatory "Donate to" vanity address:

1enygmaek8Y4P7U8QFuZdvVASNbHJgxVm
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:03:26 PM

Bitcoin isn't the strongest currency for reasons stated, but it is among one of the most valuable.

please define "valuable"?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
lleibowitz

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:04:55 PM

I'd say currently bitcoin is one the weakest currencies in the world, but this can (and hopefully will) change in the next couple of years.
melvster (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:07:35 PM

As the market capitalization of bitcoin grows, the currency will be resistant of those kinds of "attacks" and hopefully, the price, although it will continue to move up perpetually, it will slowdown considerably compared to today's volatility.

Anyway, a quicker answer to your questions is NO, it's not even close to being the strongest currency in the world.

But a $7 stock isnt a currency, really, is it.  I mean you need a certain amount of liquidity to be considered true currency, you could argue that bitcoin has that now.  But a stock?
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:19:26 PM

But a $7 stock isnt a currency, really, is it.  I mean you need a certain amount of liquidity to be considered true currency, you could argue that bitcoin has that now.  But a stock?

Read my statement: "I would compare bitcoin with a $7 stock that has a market capital of 800.000.000 U$S"
I say I would compare bitcoin with a $7 stock. I never mentioned the word currency. I pointed out the market capitalization so therefore my comparison is oriented towards that particular aspect.
I know a stock isn't a currency. Actually stock is backed up with something, bitcoin isn't Tongue

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:27:37 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2013, 11:39:09 AM by malevolent

As a currency, Bitcoin is still, and will remain for some time, unstable. There are three things that need to change:

- low capitalization - more people need to join
- centralization - I think it is safe to assume that whatever happens with BTC price on MtGox, it will be reflected on other exchanges which make up (please correct me if I'm wrong) less than 10% of the Bitcoin trading market, with MtGox in control of the rest.
- difficulty of getting started into Bitcoin and actually using it safely and conveniently

Signature space available for rent.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1114
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 06:59:59 PM

No, but it is: 'the fastest growing currency in the world'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/video/2013/mar/22/bitcoin-currency-video

Inventor of: "Conic-Upward-Jet-Thrust 𝕊ℙ𝔸ℂ𝔼 𝔼𝕃𝔼𝕍𝔸𝕋𝕆ℝ" https://archive.is/Ouxdl ¦¦ Monetize pics of in/out cash (with GPS metatag on and timestamp captions) ¦¦ archive.is/OMUJQ ¦¦ bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5362345
akam

Activity: 34

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 09:15:01 PM

I'd say it is definately the strongest currency on the planet...considering it is completely unique in the way it is designed and how it opperates, and is invulnerable to the catestrophic weakness posessed by fiat currency. It is only a matter of time before it is recognised as being the strongest currency, there is no debate as to whether or not it is, the debate is over when it will take it's place as no1 currency in terms of number of users.

https://i.imgur.com/HeWrOGc.png

--------------------------------------
my music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aycGGgYde48

donations accepted with bitcoin at 1HSLVaXo5ujxqHd6DhwPDXojJwgmz3MLS3

any donation amount = 25 track album download link Smiley
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:56:37 PM

Absolutely the strongest. I mean, what else could lose 50% of its value overnight and still be 30x more valuable than the next "strongest" currency?
Aztec

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 10:01:38 PM

How can it be a strong currency when you cant actually use them to buy essential day to day stuff? What use is a Bitcoin if you don't own a computer?
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:37:09 AM

As a currency, Bitcoin is still, and will remain for some time, unstable. There are two things that need to change:

- centralization - I think it is safe to assume that whatever happens with BTC price on MtGox, it will be reflected on other exchanges which make up (please correct me if I'm wrong) less than 10% of the Bitcoin trading market, with MtGox in control of the rest.
- difficulty of getting started into Bitcoin and actually using it safely and conveniently

Just being an ass Cheesy

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 05:44:29 AM

What use is a Bitcoin if you don't own a computer?

https://www.casascius.com/

yocko06

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:11:57 AM

I believe In bitcoin and Think it is very cheep at the moment. But bitcoin Is not the strongest currency ATM because it is brand new and has huge fluctuation. Alot of people don't have faith in bitcoin and this can cause panic sell's. Bitcoin has a future of becoming the strongest currency in the world but has not hit this as yet. It needs to be more available and easier to trade for goods and services to become strong.       
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:39:46 AM

As a currency, Bitcoin is still, and will remain for some time, unstable. There are two things that need to change:

Just being an ass Cheesy

Fixed, I intended to mention two at first.

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 91 »
  Print  

Jump to: