Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best/Most Creative Cold Storage Method  (Read 3052 times)
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:57:58 PM

I wonder how many BTCs should one have before becoming this paranoid Smiley

A lot less than it used to be...  500btc is no longer a trivial amount of money.  Ah some of the btc I wasted in various places lol

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OlgaA524

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:14:49 PM

Encode private key by a well known book that you can find in any library and most homes.

3 fields of say 6 characters sequence:

000312000035000003 for one character where 000312 = page number, 000035 = line number, 000003 = column number

Then you can become more paranoid and alternate page, line, column for first char then line, column, page for second. Then you can do it in hex, then backwards etc Smiley  Imagination is a limit.
Snipes777 (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:22:26 PM

I wonder how many BTCs should one have before becoming this paranoid Smiley
Depends on current/future value of those coins. At 100/BTC then maybe going north of 50-100 would require some paranoia. At some arbitrary future value of 100,000/BTC then .1 or .05 would require the same security  measures. Always hard to determine, but for me it is more a fun project to create a crazy intricate code/masterpiece to hide my coins rather than a practical cost/ risk analysis. I want to have fun and make something unusual.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
pa

Activity: 527
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:10:26 AM

I'd like to use a 3D printer to print QR codes for private/public keys in the center of some opaque solid plastic object that would have to be broken/cut in half to reveal the codes.

More durable than a paper wallet and could be hidden in all manner of innocent-looking 3D structures. . . .
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:52:59 AM

I'd like to use a 3D printer to print QR codes for private/public keys in the center of some opaque solid plastic object that would have to be broken/cut in half to reveal the codes.

More durable than a paper wallet and could be hidden in all manner of innocent-looking 3D structures. . . .

I like that idea!
How about some fugly chinese "may wealth be upon your path" statue?
With the current exchangerate-action there is no excuse to not have a 3D printer by now ;-)

Ente
b¡tco¡n

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Correct Horse Battery Staple

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:05:41 AM

How about your fingerprint as the basis for the hash? (you'd need something to convert a fingerprint to a 'string')

1GiB1jQnqjwmNW4U4i8autnnVb1fG8HTYM

This would be my avitar; http://s9.postimg.org/m2pzsiy57/avi.png
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:09:38 AM

How about your fingerprint as the basis for the hash? (you'd need something to convert a fingerprint to a 'string')

Like from a fingerprint scanner input?

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:25:06 AM

I didn't get to post this earlier, but another creative idea (which is extreme) is to.

1. print and laminate or engrave on metal or hard plastic.
2. pour melted wax around.
3. put in bigger wooden or plastic box.
4. pour cement around.

You get a block of cement when it's dry. You will have to break open the cement but since there is a box, the contents of the box is protected. The wax is also additional protection for the object which actually holds the private key for your bitcoins.

The problem with fingerprints is that it has to consistently give the same output. Fingerprint scanners work by comparing your scan of right now, with something it stored previously, and checking to see how much of before and now is the same. It can't give the exact same output all the time, because of finger orientation, so I don't know how a hash of your fingerprint would be secure.

Also if you wound your finger with a blade cut or something, or it grows a pimple, then the scan would fail.

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:24:09 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 08:35:10 AM by eldentyrell

i actually have the equipment to do small scale metal etching. i'd offer the making of cold storage wallets, but to etch the private keys i'd have to see them. never really figured out a way around that i was comfortable with. any ideas?

I'm planning to order 580 laser-engraved "scrabble tiles" -- 10 each of the 58 characters allowed in a bitcoin private key.  The idea is to use some inexpensive non-oxidizing metal.  I'll epoxy the sequence of characters that forms my private key onto a backplate and then melt/destroy enough of the leftovers so that I have an equal number of each of the spare letters remaining.  And then destroy the laptop that produced the key, of course.

The result is an engraved private key that will probably outlive my descendants, produced without having to trust the guy operating the laser engraver (or having to buy+operate one myself).

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:31:34 AM

I didn't get to post this earlier, but another creative idea (which is extreme) is to.

4. pour cement around.

You get a block of cement when it's dry. You will have to break open the cement but since there is a box, the contents of the box is protected. The wax is also additional protection for the object which actually holds the private key for your bitcoins.

The problem with fingerprints is that it has to consistently give the same output. Fingerprint scanners work by comparing your scan of right now, with something it stored previously, and checking to see how much of before and now is the same. It can't give the exact same output all the time, because of finger orientation, so I don't know how a hash of your fingerprint would be secure.

Also if you wound your finger with a blade cut or something, or it grows a pimple, then the scan would fail.

Yes, this is all true. What could be used though is the facial recognition software that works on 8-26 (depending on quality) unique numerical coordinates for features on the human face. That could be the basis for a brain wallet or hashed, etc ...

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:42:50 AM

4. pour cement around.

Concrete might actually not be the best material for this because it can be rather corrosive, especially while it is curing...

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:56:08 PM

My savings account private key is generated using the VIN number of my new car. Shhh! Don't tell anyone  Cool
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:59:40 PM

My savings account private key is generated using the VIN number of my new car. Shhh! Don't tell anyone  Cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: