Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:40:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concept: OP_RETURN with torrent file to an HTML file = hostless website  (Read 995 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2016, 07:56:00 PM

I have been mulling something over and would like to get some input.

I would like to make a serverless webpage using the blockchain + bittorrent.

Let's assume I have a web site with an HTML, some css and a few images compressed into a .zip file of 1Mb.

I then create a .torrent of that zip file, which includes a hash of the file's parts, and start seeding the file. Assume the .torrent file is 200 bytes in size.

I then create a Bitcoin transaction from address 1WEBaj42k2j23lk23nk23jlk2n1kj to any address.

I pay the transaction fee and include an OP_RETURN with 80 bytes from the .torrent with a preceding number like 1/3.
Then I send another transaction from the same address with another 80 bytes with a preceeding number 2/3, etc.

So now there is a series of OP_RETURNs from address 1WEBaj42k2j23lk23nk23jlk2n1kj that can be referenced from any Bitcoin node that tracks OP_RETURNs.

Now I create a browser extension that accepts btctp:/1WEBaj42k2j23lk23nk23jlk2n1kj as an input which then goes to that address and gets its last series of OP_RETURNs.

It puts together the .torrent file and connects as a bittorrent client to download the .zip file. The extension then extracts the contents of the .zip file and displays the web page.

This would prevent DDoS attacks. It would prevent hacks of your server. It would allow people behind censoring firewalls like China to get information and allow anyone to post simple content without the need for a hosting service.

And you are paying the miners in transaction fees. You pay the miners for larger .torrents so they are compensated and you pay for any updates you make, all via transaction fees.

Thoughts?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 02:17:57 AM

Maybe this can help: https://webtorrent.io
So the user will be able to download the website without installing anything.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 07:48:20 AM

Maybe this can help: https://webtorrent.io
So the user will be able to download the website without installing anything.

Interesting. A javascript bittorrent client. I'd still need the extension to go to the blockchain and get the OP_RETURN.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 12:43:42 PM

I'd still need the extension to go to the blockchain and get the OP_RETURN.
Maybe not Smiley
https://github.com/bcoin-org/bcoin
https://github.com/yoursnetwork/yours-bitcoin

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:11:20 PM

I don't think you could make a normal website this way. By "normal website", I mean something which downloads and shows up fast in the browser, something which is easy to update for the webmaster, and something optimized for search engines.
Maybe it could eventually become an alternative to a Tor hidden service?

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Kewde

Activity: 111
Merit: 15

Eat, sleep, code, repeat.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 11:22:31 PM

Use magnet links, not torrent files.
> Smaller

Particl Project - https://www.particl.io/
RoseMann

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:30:44 PM

Let's assume I have a web site with an HTML, some css and a few images compressed into a .zip file of 1Mb.

I then create a .torrent of that zip file, which includes a hash of the file's parts, and start seeding the file. Assume the .torrent file is 200 bytes in size.

I then create a Bitcoin transaction from address 1WEBaj42k2j23lk23nk23jlk2n1kj to any address.

I pay the transaction fee and include an OP_RETURN with 80 bytes from the .torrent with a preceding number like 1/3.
Then I send another transaction from the same address with another 80 bytes with a preceeding number 2/3, etc.

So now there is a series of OP_RETURNs from address 1WEBaj42k2j23lk23nk23jlk2n1kj that can be referenced from any Bitcoin node that tracks OP_RETURNs.

Now I create a browser extension that accepts btctp:/1WEBaj42k2j23lk23nk23jlk2n1kj as an input which then goes to that address and gets its last series of OP_RETURNs.

It puts together the .torrent file and connects as a bittorrent client to download the .zip file. The extension then extracts the contents of the .zip file and displays the web page.

This would prevent DDoS attacks. It would prevent hacks of your server. It would allow people behind censoring firewalls like China to get information and allow anyone to post simple content without the need for a hosting service.

And you are paying the miners in transaction fees. You pay the miners for larger .torrents so they are compensated and you pay for any updates you make, all via transaction fees.

Thoughts?

Could u not store the 200 bytes as part of the message field using a smart currency like Bitshares or NXT? and then rather then using a bitcoin address you use a bitshares or nxt address for the browser extension?

Prefix the message with something since u can't include a special op code

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 12:24:26 PM

Thoughts?

Could u not store the 200 bytes as part of the message field using a smart currency like Bitshares or NXT? and then rather then using a bitcoin address you use a bitshares or nxt address for the browser extension?

Prefix the message with something since u can't include a special op code

I may as well use Onecoin.

Bitcoin is the most secure ledger in the world. Having the highest security in the world for a site would be a good thing to have.

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 12:27:35 PM

An interesting idear, how would you handle website updates? You would need to make a new version of the page and create another 3 transactions using OP_RETURN to point to the updated version i guess...

Also, the concept will probably only work as long as enough people keep on seeding the page. Offcourse, it's really small so i guess most people won't mind doing this (if the page itself is usefull)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 12:40:55 PM

An interesting idear, how would you handle website updates? You would need to make a new version of the page and create another 3 transactions using OP_RETURN to point to the updated version i guess...

Also, the concept will probably only work as long as enough people keep on seeding the page. Offcourse, it's really small so i guess most people won't mind doing this (if the page itself is usefull)

Like I said, you take the latest OP_RETURN from the address. So every time you update your page you just send the transactions again.

Hillary has stated that she wants to take down certain websites that are critical of her when elected. This may become something necessary sooner rather than later.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: