Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:16:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are bitcoin ATMs worth using?  (Read 5330 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
btckold24

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 02:41:24 AM

No, it's not worth at all because those reason :
1. They charge you huge fees for buy/sell bitcoin
2. They could track you because bitcoin address that you use for send/receive bitcoin and they usually have CCTV too.
3. Sometimes, they ask you to input personal information or ID to use their ATM.
4. I heard that bitcoin price at ATM isn't realtime (not sure it's true or not)

ONLY use bitcoin ATM if you really need to buy/sell bitcoin as fast as you can.

I have been to two. One in vegas area and it had ridiculous fees and definitely not worth it with things like bitpay now out. Maybe like
2 years ago so you can get money even with bad fees. The second one was south of san francisco and it had a pretty big spread in fees
also and required a ton of info (ID etc) and took like 45 minutes so i didnt bother

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
justdimin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 07:26:20 PM

Some friends and I are considering using a bitcoin ATM to do some online shopping. Would it be worth using a bitcoin ATM rather than just an internet exchange site?

What are some advantages and disadvantages to both? Any tips or anything I should know ahead of time before using an ATM?

Thanks in advance!
Well depending on what you are using it for, if you want to change cash and coin discreetly and do not want your name anywhere, it is a lot better then sending fiat from your bank to bitcoin exchange websites. You can just withdraw your cash and buy coins.
Tough if it is your method of acquiring bitcoin it is still the most discreet and private possibility but most have higher fees then regular bitcoin exchange websites.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 07:40:22 PM

If you don't mind paying for an insane amount of fee and you are in a hurry to obtain cash, then bitcoin ATM is for you. Personally I would prefer exchanges on the internet rather than a bitcoin ATM just to save a couple of dollars. Though bitcoin ATMs do not ask for any verification, your main concern would probably be the fees incurred during the transaction.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 08:33:53 PM

I prefer localbitcoins and Bitpay.  ATMs must pay rent.

Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 08:38:25 PM

Because of the fees, it's a turn off for me. I wouldn't use them.

If you need them ASAP, localbitcoin seems legit.
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:18:38 PM

I dont even wanna reach near those, as instead of those help those atm are eating your coins, i didnt know they charge soo high fees. Atm of bitcoin should only be if you are wanting to cashout a huge ammount and those is something the most traders cant do for you.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 10:43:46 PM

Some friends and I are considering using a bitcoin ATM to do some online shopping.

No, not for online shopping, it just makes no sense. The only way I see a BTC ATM could be useful would be at an airport. You've just landed, and you want to exchange some crypto for local cash. But the fee must be moderate of course.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
DaddyMonsi
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 01:46:30 AM

Why use Bitcoin ATM if you are going to buy some items online and probably or most of the time items will be bought online, so why go to an ATM? Just go online and buy Bitcoins online, traveling and looking for an ATM will just add up to the cost of the item you want to purchase.
Matt Guy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:08:06 AM

The high fees are really a big problem for these systems.
madwica

Activity: 714
Merit: 531

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:35:39 AM

ATM is not worth using in my country because no stores want to received in terms of bitcoin money and i think there is no coins/paper bitcoin money are available and accepted here in my country only online transaction they accepts bitcoin due to bitcoin is a digital currency and without physical money.
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:24:50 AM

Exchanging bitcoin in exchanger will be profitable as there will be lots of fee in using bitcoin ATM like fixed withdraw fee + foreign currency exchange fee if your local currency is different than USD, EUR etc.

Capradina

Activity: 756
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:29:18 AM

I think it is a pretty good step, however I see that there are only few bitcoin ATM places and it is very rarely found online or offline store that accept ATM using bitcoin payments. Better don't use ATM Bitcoin first before all the people know and use the bitcoin!! . Because I see ATM Bitcoin is now much worse than the already existing Bank ATM, they provide services that are far different from the true purpose of the bitcoin
csnorthchina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:30:53 AM

I want Btc ATMs in my country, I think there is only 1 (or none now) in my country,
which is not enough at all...

the charge I know is huge but other than that, I can't really find a way to cashout my Btc here  Undecided Undecided Undecided
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:38:40 AM

We can see that Bitcoin ATM is convenient to use but only for those who have these near from their area better to still use an exchange online because like what the other people said ATM has a fixed withdrawal fee and it is not good for us not like on exchange that the withdrawal fee depends on the amount of your withdrawal . Here in my country we have a cardless withdrawal with some ATM of some other banks .
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:40:38 AM

I personally would ignore a Bitcoin ATM and not worry about using it because the fees are WAY too high for the service it provides, where I am they have a 15% fee on what I remember was all exchanges/sales, while an exchange here is maybe 5% at most (for those who rip you off) and more like 0.5-1% on average. I'd say you might as well use anything else.
Backside walkaround

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 04:47:32 AM

Because of the fees, it's a turn off for me. I wouldn't use them.

If you need them ASAP, localbitcoin seems legit.
There's really nothing I'd need to buy with bitcoin that would take an atm to get.  It's a novel concept, but those fees are absolutely ridiculous.   But then again,  think about it:  Normal, non geek types would buy bitcoin in exactly this way.  We might not because we're bitcointalk savvy and aren't afraid to use these sketchy exchanges.   Mom and pop might not, and they're familiar with atms.  So not a bad thing, but I wouldn't use one.

If the original Backside walkaround can prove to me they are the old owner of this account, I can update the email address to the email address of their choosing.
Backside walkaround has lost access to their account as they used someone else's email address to sign up, and the owner of the email address got tired of random email notifications from this site after a few months and reset the password.
shamzblueworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2016, 05:29:11 AM

I like the idea of having a bitcoin ATM. Hopefully we can also have it here in Pakistan. It would be much better than a third party site to do the exchange I believe. More secure, less vulnerable and handy to have access all the time.
abayan

Activity: 686
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 05:39:56 AM

Some friends and I are considering using a bitcoin ATM to do some online shopping. Would it be worth using a bitcoin ATM rather than just an internet exchange site?

What are some advantages and disadvantages to both? Any tips or anything I should know ahead of time before using an ATM?

Thanks in advance!
Well depending on what you are using it for, if you want to change cash and coin discreetly and do not want your name anywhere, it is a lot better then sending fiat from your bank to bitcoin exchange websites. You can just withdraw your cash and buy coins.
Tough if it is your method of acquiring bitcoin it is still the most discreet and private possibility but most have higher fees then regular bitcoin exchange websites.

you are right . we are not anonymous now Angry

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄           ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
davis196

Activity: 2982
Merit: 914

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 05:44:11 AM

Thanks in advance!

It`s not worth it man.Bitcoin ATMs are extremely rare and i don`t think there are any merchants who accept

bitcoin as paper money.Bitcoin is invented as a virtual currency and should be used as a virtual currency.

It`s more convenient.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 05:55:55 AM

I like the idea of having a bitcoin ATM. Hopefully we can also have it here in Pakistan. It would be much better than a third party site to do the exchange I believe. More secure, less vulnerable and handy to have access all the time.

i see no point in it, it also cost money and require some id, which is against what bitcoin is
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: