Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:22:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does having a 2nd account here respect the ToS?  (Read 511 times)
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 01:54:41 PM

I'd like to know if having a secondary account here does respect the rules of this website or not, thank you for helping!
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 01:56:41 PM

I'd like to know if having a secondary account here does respect the rules of this website or not, thank you for helping!

It's not against the rules:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=789889.msg8901871#msg8901871

However, when you have several alt accounts, there are a couple things you need to know:
It IS against the rules/frowed upon to:

• answer yourself/have discussions with yourself
  • use your account as a sock puppet
  • keep posting with ANY of the alt accounts when an other ALT account is banned
  • give yourself positive trust
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 01:58:07 PM

As long as you don't evade ban, or are trying to spam certain site via multiple accounts , you should be fine
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 01:59:26 PM

However, when you have several alt accounts, there are a couple things you need to know:

• answer yourself

What do you mean by "use your account as a sock puppet"? Sorry, english isn't my native language and I still don't know about a few expressions.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 02:00:45 PM

What do you mean by "use your account as a sock puppet"? Sorry, english isn't my native language and I still don't know about a few expressions.
sock puppet
"An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously."

While not being prohibited by the forum rules, having several accounts is somehow still being looked down upon by the community.
Mostly because there are very little "legit" reasons for having them, and alot of possible misusages.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
20kevin20 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 02:04:32 PM

sock puppet
"An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously."

While not being prohibited by the forum rules, having several accounts is somehow still being looked down upon by the community.
Mostly because there are very little "legit" reasons for having them, and alot of possible misusages.

Alright, thank you for the fast answers, guys! What about using two accounts for two different signature campaigns?
StarofBTC

Activity: 1148
Merit: 528

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 02:33:55 PM

and
  • escrow your trades by your self using your own alts

like what some trusted and well known people done before. like quickseller etc.

you can use alt accounts for some legit reasons.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 02:52:12 PM

Except that pretty much every of the most trusted members of the community, by pretty much every measure (be it, on DT, staff, high trust score being entrusted with large amounts of money, running a business that holds money for customers, ect) has at least one sockpuppet (and sometimes multiple sockpuppets.

It might be more accurate to say that this is your sole opinion, and that you likely do not understand reasons for using/having sockpuppets.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 02:56:54 PM

Technically speaking, you can use your other account as a sock puppet and have discussions with yourself as long as you aren't violating the 1 bump every 24 hours rule. You can also give yourself positive trust if you really want.

merelcoin's recommendations there are good ones though. There are plenty of legitimate uses for having multiple accounts, so it is not against any rules. If you don't want to look like you are a scammer, not giving yourself positive trust is probably key.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 03:05:16 PM

Technically speaking, you can use your other account as a sock puppet and have discussions with yourself as long as you aren't violating the 1 bump every 24 hours rule. You can also give yourself positive trust if you really want.

merelcoin's recommendations there are good ones though. There are plenty of legitimate uses for having multiple accounts, so it is not against any rules. If you don't want to look like you are a scammer, not giving yourself positive trust is probably key.

and... If you don't want to look like you are a scammerspammer, not giving talking to yourself positive trust is probably key.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Racey
Legendary

Merit: 1000

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:45:53 PM

I was thinking about another account, but transparent about it, all would know it was me, then I had second thoughts about it.
My negative trust would still follow me around, so I decided no for now.

I would love a clean account as lessons beforehand have been learned, I was a silly junior at the time, and not very aware.

But hey ho, just carry on eh, as I left one other forum, to come to this one, and leave here? Only when I die that is.
Got to take it on the chin sometimes and just carry on, like in life, just get up and keep on mowing the grass  Grin

And its gone.
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 03:57:14 PM

I'm curious as to what legitimate use people would have for more than one account.
Obviously most people are going to make multiple accounts to join some signature campaign and answer their own threads to get more post counts,
or do some fraudulent transactions and get fake trust ratings.

Maybe there are real reasons you would need more than one account, but I can't think of any right now...

Dahhi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

MERCATOX

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 04:56:42 PM

One of the main reasons people have multiple accounts on this forum is to be able join multiple signature campaigns and you can make up your weekly post count without having a discussion with yourself. No need to spam.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2016, 05:37:17 PM

I'm curious as to what legitimate use people would have for more than one account.

I have a second account for my phone or machines that are not my own. Its more likely to get compromised, but its less valueable (not on DT and already has negative trust).

Obviously most people are going to make multiple accounts to join some signature campaign and answer their own threads to get more post counts,
or do some fraudulent transactions and get fake trust ratings.

Maybe there are real reasons you would need more than one account, but I can't think of any right now...

I was inspired to do this by theymos and BadBear as both have similar "less valueable" accounts.

Another use would be privacy. If you have a well known main account and do not want your address to be known, create a new account.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: