Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:46:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC power in a graphics card  (Read 1422 times)
ODINaf (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 12:32:13 PM

Well since the Admin is kinda being a tad bit of a Nazi about locking us out of the other fourms... I'm gonna throw him a bone here and if he reads this it might change how we bitmine.

So the latest and greatest cards have hit the market again, there is sales and revue being made. The power of these new cards are with out a doubt outstanding, But better yet...the ASIC card are getting ready to be realized and everyone is in a sweat to stab there sister and brother to get one and cash in on there new prospect for the future.

But let me ask you something.... Do you need a ASIC machine to get the same powerful output?
Now many of you are saying yes. My 7970 or 6990 can do no better with it's 32 or 64 cores just calculating away. I have no choice but to by one of these ASIC machines.

Us member of BONIC and FAH thought the same thing, I have maxed my ability of what I have.....or have you?

my 7970 on FAH does about 6k ppd....until some new code was written that changed the very fabric of what we were doing, 6k because 40-80k a day. Why is this, same cards but all you did is tweak the code and it's doing better.

Well allow me to elaborate on this very astonishing feat, within your graphics card is (in my case for this example) 32 Compute Units, FAH and BONIC and Bitminter all are using the 32 CP's to do there work, but then shit got real, red bulls where gusseld down and we rewrote some code to use the sub Processors attached to the CP to become 2048 working units.

Right now a light bulb is coming on and your thinking

http://cdn.stripersonline.com/9/9b/900x900px-LL-9bb28d6b_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

So I Propose that a development team be appointed and a virtual meeting take place. Ladies and Gents....you already have the power of ASIC, you just need to tap into it.

I call dibs on Alpha Testing
-ODIN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thefiniteidea

Activity: 509
Merit: 564

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 01:03:23 PM

I dont know enough to know whether or not I should be excited.

...but I want to believe.
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 01:53:54 PM

Well since the Admin is kinda being a tad bit of a Nazi about locking us out of the other fourms... I'm gonna throw him a bone here and if he reads this it might change how we bitmine.

So the latest and greatest cards have hit the market again, there is sales and revue being made. The power of these new cards are with out a doubt outstanding, But better yet...the ASIC card are getting ready to be realized and everyone is in a sweat to stab there sister and brother to get one and cash in on there new prospect for the future.

But let me ask you something.... Do you need a ASIC machine to get the same powerful output?
Now many of you are saying yes. My 7970 or 6990 can do no better with it's 32 or 64 cores just calculating away. I have no choice but to by one of these ASIC machines.

Us member of BONIC and FAH thought the same thing, I have maxed my ability of what I have.....or have you?

my 7970 on FAH does about 6k ppd....until some new code was written that changed the very fabric of what we were doing, 6k because 40-80k a day. Why is this, same cards but all you did is tweak the code and it's doing better.

Well allow me to elaborate on this very astonishing feat, within your graphics card is (in my case for this example) 32 Compute Units, FAH and BONIC and Bitminter all are using the 32 CP's to do there work, but then shit got real, red bulls where gusseld down and we rewrote some code to use the sub Processors attached to the CP to become 2048 working units.

So I Propose that a development team be appointed and a virtual meeting take place. Ladies and Gents....you already have the power of ASIC, you just need to tap into it.

-ODIN

Can you go back and proofread/edit/correct this? It's so riddled with errors, it's hard to understand what your point or idea is...

What's "BONIC"? and "FAH"?

"there is sales and revue being made" Revue? People are writing variety entertainment shows featuring musical numbers and skits about bitcoin?

By the way... starting your FIRST post by calling the forum owner/operator a Nazi? Bravo, my friend. Bravo. That's *sure* to win you points with the moderators. That and your semi-literate ramblings. Rock on, brother.

wr6133

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

BOINC and F@H are GPU computing pools. F@H is Folding at Home it relates to protein strains and cancer. I think what he means is that in these programs people have at points released improved software that meant the GPU's used suddenly realised a lot more compute power than they previously had.
ftping

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

200 OK

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 03:17:01 PM

I call dibs on the first 100 shares of ODINaf's IPO.  Cheesy
JoroBo

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 04:01:53 PM

Sounds interesting, hope you can work it out
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:14:39 PM

It is not BONIC, it is BOINC

He is speaking about distributed computing for science research.

BOINC https://boinc.berkeley.edu/ it let you crunch work units from projects like World Community Grid https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/

FAH is Folding@Home http://folding.stanford.edu/ Oh and no, FAH does not use BOINC. Why? No idea.

Someone understand what he is saying? Is he speaking about optimization? Well, i suppose ASIC blueprints were optimized in a decent way before starting to make chips  Cheesy And there is  no way a graphic card will crunch like an ASIC, a 1300$ ASIC is like 150 ati cards

freebeer2go

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 05:32:49 PM

Interesting concept, I would buy.
Skami

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 05:41:09 PM

I call hoax.

ihopedso

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 07:09:46 PM

I call hoax.

This is likely it, but who knows.
mebezac

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 07:14:08 PM

I think this may officially be the best first post ever. Ballsy my friend, ballsy.

BTC: 168d57nW72Y6DidPgE88iL7vYmpQD45dYK|LTC: LLPttXuFF2uTo2CWeEwXU5CwcUcgQ4NGd3
alexhaj

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 07:14:52 PM

Tou-shay!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 08:42:04 PM

I call hoax.

This is likely it, but who knows.
Calling boinc or fah a hoax is bullshit  Roll Eyes

bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:01:44 PM

-ODIN

Congratulation on a top-quality troll for your first post!

Well done sir!

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:24:03 PM

well there are a few good points not to mention a few bad points
and it turns out theres a few idiots here to  Undecided

anyhow it would be possible to get about another 50% out of graphics cards you can do this by some seriously anal tweaking
the main reason ASICs will out do a GPU is not really the fact they can go faster its the fact that they use really really low amounts of power which means much much more profit (its why FPGA's took off like they did sure most GPUs can out preform them but they use much less power

im in the UK and power per Kw/h is between £0.14 and £0.20 i pay £0.18 for my power so thats the main reason im changing to ASIC's

i also understand about posting in the "noob" section but it cuts down on stupid trolls

also F@H and BOINC are slightly different from mining and there also paid a hell of alot more than any of the developers if the mining software

Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:42:00 PM

Totally false. I used to be involved with the Folding @ Home project myself..

OP is talking about software optimizations, which increased the productivity of the project. The contributors were also given higher incentives (points) for running the new versions of the software. Take note, these "points" were and continue to be subjective and not a true representation of work performed.

In regard to GPU mining, the software and mining code has been extensively optimised, such that any remaining gains likely are not worth the time and effort required to find and implement them.

OP does not seem to understand that ASIC technology is dedicated hardware, not something that could be applied to consumer graphics cards as he seems to imply.
cbrcs

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 09:46:17 PM

Well I understand that he sees the gains for F@H and has hopes to see the same with mining.
He just doesnt understand that there are fundamental differences.

As far as I can tell F@H and BOINC perform a rather complex series of calculations and therefore have quite complex code.
Also most of the code/algorithms is specific to F@H/BOINC, so more or less completely custom and not very well proven.
Both means there is a lot of potential for performance improvement, either in the code or in the algorithms themselves.

The calculation steps for bitcoin mining are relatively simple in terms of code complexity - they just need a lot of computing power to solve.
To my knowledge the majority of processing time is spent performing crypto algorithms over and over again.
Those are the same used in a lot of other applications for a long time already and are well proven and most potential efficiency gains have already been implemented.
So there is only little room for improvement - mostly reducing overhead from the communication with server/network and such things.

I wouldn't expect any improvements even close to what you saw for F@H with mining.

As far as ACICs are concerned - they are better at H/J and H/$, quite simply because they can't do anything else but mining with them. So you don't have to waste resources for those components that CPU/GPU have that are not necessary/not optimized for mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: