Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:05:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Protecting your Datacenter with a Cloud Based Security Solution  (Read 575 times)
ChineseSavior (OP)

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 12:41:30 AM

Hello internet,

I was in the market for a security system. I purchased one with no hard drive. A cheapo of amazon. 169$ 8 cams 720p reso. Not bad quality.

The reason for this is because I reasoned it ineffective if a break in. A smart bugler would simply take the dvr with the HD and all the evidence.

Not that it matters much because a smart one would also be wearing a mask. But at least security footage may help...

I quickly realized after hookup that this one will not let me save to the could Sad I looked around the net and couldnt really find any that would. The only solution that i have really seen is to buy IP cams and run them through Ispy. However this renders my current system useless.

Another option i considered was purchasing a video capture card. I could simply record the feed to the cloud or something. Well that was a no go as they are pricey as all hell. So i dont know what to do now. My last option was to purchase a cheap IP camera and see if i could somehow film the DVR monitor with all the cams, Anolog re-routing the video feed through ISP to upload to the cloud.

Major problems with this also, including not as clear as id like. Latency. And at night the infareds turn on rendering the Analog screen viewing sequence useless.

Any advice would be great. I may just be screwed here. May end up just using the system as a visual redundancy . Let me know what you think. Would love to figure out something to get recording and get to cloud.

Kindest regards,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 02:58:51 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2016, 03:14:15 AM by notlist3d

Hello internet,

I was in the market for a security system. I purchased one with no hard drive. A cheapo of amazon. 169$ 8 cams 720p reso. Not bad quality.

The reason for this is because I reasoned it ineffective if a break in. A smart bugler would simply take the dvr with the HD and all the evidence.

Not that it matters much because a smart one would also be wearing a mask. But at least security footage may help...

I quickly realized after hookup that this one will not let me save to the could Sad I looked around the net and couldnt really find any that would. The only solution that i have really seen is to buy IP cams and run them through Ispy. However this renders my current system useless.

Another option i considered was purchasing a video capture card. I could simply record the feed to the cloud or something. Well that was a no go as they are pricey as all hell. So i dont know what to do now. My last option was to purchase a cheap IP camera and see if i could somehow film the DVR monitor with all the cams, Anolog re-routing the video feed through ISP to upload to the cloud.

Major problems with this also, including not as clear as id like. Latency. And at night the infareds turn on rendering the Analog screen viewing sequence useless.

Any advice would be great. I may just be screwed here. May end up just using the system as a visual redundancy . Let me know what you think. Would love to figure out something to get recording and get to cloud.

Kindest regards,

I think camera's are great I personally use them, but most systems tend to have local storage... so if truly broken into not sure it is the best thing to catch it happening, or even alert you.   I actually have been looking into upgrading my camera system to IP based camera's myself.   Still early in the process though not really a big urge as my current camera's work fine... but some IP based ones would be nice when I do finally upgrade.  Depending on what your looking at it can get pricey.

I think you need to decide if your trying to catch video for after it happens, or if goal is to prevent it.  If goal is to prevent it I think a standard security system is what you are really looking for I use one and it is much better then just having camera's in my opinion.  You can set it and actually have a real security service alert authorities if something is happening when you are gone.  

So camera system is nice to be able to log into remotely and see what's happening.  But I think a traditional security system is better then most camera system's.  But it is going to be hard to justify the price and monthly service cost for most.   I think camera's alone could possibly provide a false sense of security in a lot of cases. 
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 05:10:24 AM

Can't you hide the PC that records to a HDD some where in an attic or basement or in a hidden part of a closet??

If it can't be found,it can't be stolen or tampered with.............

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 04:17:45 PM

I was watching this video online about house thieves. Apparently i am screwed no matter what.

You are right. Cameras capture footage but do not alert authorities. Also the security system they will be gone by the time anyone shows up. Or if they have half a clue will simply disable it.

Not sure what to do here. Will think on it. I guess everything is just a deter ant and we all take some risk.
Entropize

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2016, 07:39:05 PM

I've been struggling with this issue in a few locations for the past 2 years. I've tried a cheapo 4 camera setup from ebay but the one time that they were needed the intruder unplugged the router rendering the system useless... I'm upgrading that location with cameras that have local storage. I tried Ispy but the yearly subscription is annoying and if you have multiple instances it's tough to keep track (they don't contact you when your subscription is about to end).

As a plus to the recent boom in NAS sales, the major manufacturers have started really beefing up their software so the two bigdogs in the market (QNap and Synology) offer camera software built into their NAS boxes. I have been able to try out the Synology setup but I've heard that the QNap setup works just as well. It's pretty straight forward and I don't think many robbers would think to grab your storage device while running out the door. They both come with limited licenses for channels (read: active cameras) so you have to purchase a license beyond the default per camera you want to use, the synology licensees are a one time cost so it comes with 2 license but I have 3 cameras so I had to purchase 1 license($45) for all 3 cameras to work.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 28, 2016, 07:46:32 PM

I recently had to put an additional camera in a weird remote location that was being subject to thievery in my regular day job, I went with an Arlo camera.  Software was very easy, camera quality is good, and it is battery-powered and fully wireless which was necessary for me personally.  It records directly to cloud storage, and I am very pleased with it.  Now, if I was covering a whole data centre, many of these features would not be necessary (like full wireless) so it's a different case, and they would get a little pricy adding them up.  But, I was very pleased with video quality, ease of use of cloud software, pretty much everything about them.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 06:55:15 PM

I've been struggling with this issue in a few locations for the past 2 years. I've tried a cheapo 4 camera setup from ebay but the one time that they were needed the intruder unplugged the router rendering the system useless... I'm upgrading that location with cameras that have local storage. I tried Ispy but the yearly subscription is annoying and if you have multiple instances it's tough to keep track (they don't contact you when your subscription is about to end).

As a plus to the recent boom in NAS sales, the major manufacturers have started really beefing up their software so the two bigdogs in the market (QNap and Synology) offer camera software built into their NAS boxes. I have been able to try out the Synology setup but I've heard that the QNap setup works just as well. It's pretty straight forward and I don't think many robbers would think to grab your storage device while running out the door. They both come with limited licenses for channels (read: active cameras) so you have to purchase a license beyond the default per camera you want to use, the synology licensees are a one time cost so it comes with 2 license but I have 3 cameras so I had to purchase 1 license($45) for all 3 cameras to work.

Have you (or anyone in the thread) considered running a real security system (like brinks or something) in conjunction with a real cloud camera system? Seems like both would be the best solution??

Discuss?

p.s. its pretty sad there is no real way to push the cams to the cloud. unless i am missing something we basically all just hav ea massive false sense of security.

Even with the cams and security system. All a thief would have to really do is wear a mask. Problem solved.

So in reality no matter what you do it just comes all down to getting lucky and praying. it seems at least
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 12:39:26 AM

You can't stop thieves, you can only catch them or deter them through preventative measures.  The nice thing about a fully linked system like Brinks is thieves know they don't have very much time.  The Arlo system I was talking about was also good about text alerts when motion was detected.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 05:25:16 PM

You can't stop thieves, you can only catch them or deter them through preventative measures.  The nice thing about a fully linked system like Brinks is thieves know they don't have very much time.  The Arlo system I was talking about was also good about text alerts when motion was detected.

This came into my mind last night. If they want in they will get in..

Additionaly the importance of cloud based recording came into my mind again. We are also in a way combating local leo's or corrupt officials. I for one am expecting questions any month now as to why my power bill is sky high. Additionally they will assume its a grow. They may even get a warrant. Police could easily sieze the DVR and all the self-evidence you have to prove yourself innocent.

If they do kick in your door you could beat it by simply mathematically proving there power density numbers are way off. In short there is no way you could be growing because there are not any grow lights with power consumtion that dense.

None the less we are dealing with crooked people on one side of the coin or the other with possibly low iq. I would not expect such calculations as most just want the next big bust. Maybe im wrong. But if crooked officials raid my place over a computer hobby i want all the cloud based storage evidence i can get my hands on for the lawyers.

Additionally. Becomes the importance of discussing securing your two main backdoors. Your email and your cloud.

Peace be with all. Ideas for the cloud. Im ordering more IP cameras today. I see it as the only way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: