Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:58:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL is keeping a portion of first batch chips for their own mining farm  (Read 6730 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:17:50 PM

Nothing to see here. This was known about since June.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155730.msg1666888#msg1666888
Known or not....this is a big FU to every customer in my book.

Rather than being honorable and saying..."You know what? I have an order with BFL, <cough> and I will ship my own when every customer to date has his/hers. Sorry for the delays."
Lets say he does what you said, and doesn't set aside any chips for the IPO. Now a few customers get their chips a few weeks sooner, and it's a giant FU to all of those who bought into the IPO (which does not include me).

There's a limited amount of chips in the first batch. Not everyone can get their chips. Someone has to wait. Do they make the customers wait? The IPO investors? If Josh was getting a free MR just for his own personal profit, then I would be pissed.
Well, then there is a question of which is the lie to honor.

It's true, he does do a diservice to his IPO customers. But then, they have the FPGA minirigs to tide them over for now.

He is directly in charge of the ASIC development project. (I use the term "directly" in a very...technical sense...not to be interpreted literally.)

So does his loyalty come first to his IPO clients outside his dealings with BFL (His Employer)

...OR...

with his Job as the ASIC developer and coordinator come first?

It's a tough call. Hobby or the Job. It appears he has elected to go with his Hobby.

--------------------

As for your other question, 400 chips are quite a few Singles, Mini-singles and quite a few Jaly's.

If I were him, I would put my Jobs customers first. The IPO guys within my side hobby and investment already have their FPGA Minirigs to tide them for  awhile. My Job's customers have nothing...except ample patience and desperation. Perhaps even some depreciating faith.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:22:47 PM

If I were him, I would put my Jobs customers first. The IPO guys within my side hobby and investment already have their FPGA Minirigs to tide them for  awhile. My Job's customers have nothing...except ample patience and desperation. Perhaps even some depreciating faith.
I should add, that if he does put his ASIC customers at his job first....then it is almost a no-brainer.

If the following is true, the delay for his IPO hardware upgrade is trivial.

---Batch 1 will ship soon.
---Batch 2 will ship soon after that.
---Batch 3 will ship with ample chips to satisfy everyone including his own orders.

If any of the above is not true, then it is perhaps best he punch his customers in the gut by taking his IPO upgrade hardware first. If the above is true....then what is a few weeks extra to conduct the IPO hardware related upgrades?

Where do you place the priority?
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:31:04 PM

Obvious COI is obvious.

To do the right thing, Josh either needs to step down from his BFL position, or fold this "Mining Company" idea.

He explicitly stated when he took the BFL position that he would not further expand his "mining footprint":

Q. You are going to have an unfair advantage when it comes to mining equipment, you’ll be able to get as much as you want before anyone else!
 A. I will not be expanding my mining footprint as it would be a conflict of interest.  I will continue with my current obligations and already acquired/paid for equipment but will not be purchasing or utilizing additional equipment as part of my mining operations.  This is one of the hardest changes I will be making, as I firmly believe there are plenty of opportunities in this space that I am going to be missing out on, but I believe I can do more good for the bitcoin community as a whole working to provide that equipment to people as opposed to using it myself.

Only you can prevent scammy companies.  - Smokey the Bear

Everyone.  Remember these things that have transpired.  Keep them in mind for when the time is right.

Off topic.  How's that LOIC working?

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:52:20 PM

Q. You are going to have an unfair advantage when it comes to mining equipment, you’ll be able to get as much as you want before anyone else!
 A. I will not be expanding my mining footprint as it would be a conflict of interest.

Lets say he does what you said, and doesn't set aside any chips for the IPO. Now a few customers get their chips a few weeks sooner, and it's a giant FU to all of those who bought into the IPO (which does not include me).

Sounds like the IPO in the first place should have never been offered. It is in direct violation of his own promise to avoid a "conflict of interest".

Buy & Hold
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:46:10 PM

Obvious COI is obvious.

To do the right thing, Josh either needs to step down from his BFL position, or fold this "Mining Company" idea.

He explicitly stated when he took the BFL position that he would not further expand his "mining footprint":

A. I will not be expanding my mining footprint as it would be a conflict of interest.  I will continue with my current obligations and already acquired/paid for equipment but will not be purchasing or utilizing additional equipment as part of my mining operations.  This is one of the hardest changes I will be making, as I firmly believe there are plenty of opportunities in this space that I am going to be missing out on, but I believe I can do more good for the bitcoin community as a whole working to provide that equipment to people as opposed to using it myself.

Your quote is from after he already bought the rigs and IPOed.  August versus June.  As long as he hasn't expanded since August 1, 2012, he's keeping his word.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:57:36 PM

This thread is simply FUD.

Josh made the IPO of BFLS.RIG in June and ordered part of Minirigs SC in June and another part in July.
He was not working for BFL that time.

He started his work for BFL in August and he clearly stated he wouldn't expand the mining farm (buying additional ASIC devices) apart of fulfilling his obligations (getting what was pre-ordered as an upgrade to replace existing Minirigs and Singles).
He is not going to the start of the queue, he has to wait for his orders' numbers/dates to be ready, like everyone else has. What was cited in OP (Some of them are, not all of them. ...) just confirmed this.
So, the thread title ("BFL is keeping...") is false and very misleading.

Another thing: BFLS.RIG is quite small enterprise - most of the machines in the farm belong to other people (e.g. six rigs are Dark Ice's) and are only hosted by Josh, many of them temporarily. Inaba's part (real BFLS.RIG) is quite smaller.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 11:02:49 PM

Inaba's part (real BFLS.RIG) is quite smaller.

...of that I have no doubt.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:04:22 AM

A new low, as the drama continues...

I prefer to see this as a new high, in the art of trollery.   Cheesy

On which exchange do Inaba's TROLL.MINR shares trade?

I wish to support this kind of thing by investing!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:37:11 AM

Josh made the IPO of BFLS.RIG in June and ordered part of Minirigs SC in June and another part in July.

He started his work for BFL in August and he clearly stated he wouldn't expand the mining farm (buying additional ASIC devices) apart of fulfilling his obligations (getting what was pre-ordered as an upgrade to replace existing Minirigs and Singles).
He is not going to the start of the queue, he has to wait for his orders' numbers/dates to be ready, like everyone else has. What was cited in OP (Some of them are, not all of them. ...) just confirmed this.

Another thing: BFLS.RIG is quite small enterprise - most of the machines in the farm belong to other people (e.g. six rigs are Dark Ice's) and are only hosted by Josh, many of them temporarily. Inaba's part (real BFLS.RIG) is quite smaller.

Where in the queue do you honestly believe Josh is positioned?

• Front
  • Middle
  • Back

I have a quarter clue, but I'll wait to hear from others before I announce my guess.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:15:11 AM

Neat. A thread with people who think that BFL has ASICs.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Fuzzy (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:18:08 AM

3c. are any of these orders likely to be part of the 'first batch' shipment from BFL?

Some of them are, not all of them. The number that will be in the "first batch" is kind of up in the air at the moment, given the current disposition of our first batch.  Since we have a limited number of available chips for the first batch, I will not, in good conscience, be taking a large swath of them.

Well, he works there now, and you can argue the difference between "taking" and "keeping", but the fact is, he gets to decide how many he wants to take. How many other customers get to decide, long after placing their order, how many they actually want? Just the guy that works there.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:32:29 AM

This is a blatant and outright conflict of interest.

In a professional organization, Josh would be instantly fired for doing something like this.

Given that BFL is run by a convicted felon, should it really surprise anyone that one of his underlings is operating with questionable ethics as well ?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:35:30 AM

Where in the queue do you honestly believe Josh is positioned?

• Front
  • Middle
  • Back

I have a quarter clue, but I'll wait to hear from others before I announce my guess.
RHA,

An authoritative answer....considering you don't even know nor seem to have inside knowledge.

So go ahead, tell us what the order numbers are and how many there are...?
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 02:49:12 AM

3c. are any of these orders likely to be part of the 'first batch' shipment from BFL?

Some of them are, not all of them. The number that will be in the "first batch" is kind of up in the air at the moment, given the current disposition of our first batch.  Since we have a limited number of available chips for the first batch, I will not, in good conscience, be taking a large swath of them.

Well, he works there now, and you can argue the difference between "taking" and "keeping", but the fact is, he gets to decide how many he wants to take. How many other customers get to decide, long after placing their order, how many they actually want? Just the guy that works there.

No other customer is going to be asked to take less than their total order (Giga ordered 4 Mini-rigs on day 1).  Josh is in a fairly unique position in that he'd ordered by 26 June but people are going to be upset if he takes all units he upgraded out of the first batch.  Josh is the only customer who's going to be expected to take less from Batch 1 than what he actually ordered.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 02:56:09 AM

Josh and giga get the first minirigs? It's like a scammer celebration...has pirate been notified? Cheesy

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 03:07:28 AM

No other customer is going to be asked to take less than their total order (Giga ordered 4 Mini-rigs on day 1).  Josh is in a fairly unique position in that he'd ordered by 26 June but people are going to be upset if he takes all units he upgraded out of the first batch.  Josh is the only customer who's going to be expected to take less from Batch 1 than what he actually ordered.

I don't really have anything to add to this, other than what Repentance said.  This is just one more lie from one Yajaira D Guevara, aka PueroLibre.  If anyone else wants to step up and take a less devices than they've already ordered and paid for, then by all means speak up.  Somehow, I suspect, I will be the only person in the world to take less BFL devices than they've already paid for by choice.  All of my orders were placed on June 23rd.  

What's really funny is Yajaira supposedly doesn't have a preorder with BFL, yet he's the most keen on the happenings of BFL.  I wonder why that is?  Basically everything that comes out of Yajaira's posts are lies.  He's been caught in numerous lies and continues to spew them, but hey, whatever.  Living in the shithole hovel that he lives in, I would be angry with the world, too.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:45:05 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 04:07:05 AM by PuertoLibre

Some of them are, not all of them. The number that will be in the "first batch" is kind of up in the air at the moment, given the current disposition of our first batch.  Since we have a limited number of available chips for the first batch, I will not, in good conscience, be taking a large swath of them.

No other customer is going to be asked to take less than their total order (Giga ordered 4 Mini-rigs on day 1).  Josh is in a fairly unique position in that he'd ordered by 26 June but people are going to be upset if he takes all units he upgraded out of the first batch.  Josh is the only customer who's going to be expected to take less from Batch 1 than what he actually ordered.

I don't really have anything to add to this, other than what Repentance said.  This is just one more lie from one Yajaira D Guevara, aka PueroLibre.  If anyone else wants to step up and take a less devices than they've already ordered and paid for, then by all means speak up.  Somehow, I suspect, I will be the only person in the world to take less BFL devices than they've already paid for by choice.  All of my orders were placed on June 23rd. 

What's really funny is Yajaira supposedly doesn't have a preorder with BFL, yet he's the most keen on the happenings of BFL.  I wonder why that is?  Basically everything that comes out of Yajaira's posts are lies.  He's been caught in numerous lies and continues to spew them, but hey, whatever.  Living in the that he lives in, I would be angry with the world, too.

Joshua R Zerlan
18400 Juniper Ter
Gardner, KS

http://www.411.com/name/Joshua-Zerlan/Kansas-City-MO
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=18400+Juniper+Ter+Gardner,+KS

Roll Eyes

P.S. Old data....etc etc
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:46:54 AM

shithole hovel that he lives in

So how's that testing coming along ?

Sharpening up the sword to commit seppuku ?
GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:48:27 AM

mmm Popcorn...  Grin
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:56:43 AM

Quote from: Josh
The bottom line is, I have orders in for 4 Minirigs and 40+ singles. I will be taking, at most, 2 minirigs out of my orders from June 23rd, and I may not even be taking that if we don't have enough chips to satisfy a large amount of orders.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/1443-josh-taking-asics-batch-1-mine-his-own-mining-company-5.html#post20275

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: