Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:18:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will old wallet versions forever be supported?  (Read 835 times)
misterwhite (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 10:46:51 AM

Hi,

I have an offline wallet with wallet version 1.35. Will this forever be supported by all future Armory versions? I plan to keep this wallet offline without touching it for many years, and I dont want to worry about new software will not be able to open it.

Thanks!
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 10:56:38 AM

yes

misterwhite (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 10:52:18 AM

Thanks for you reply. Now I can sleep well at night! Smiley

By the way, where can I read about wallet formats and future wallet formats? I want to make sure I understand how everything works and right now its like magic for me.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 01:52:19 PM

The old format doc should be somewhere on the old website. Otherwise read the code. I'll document the new format as I implement it.

misterwhite (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 04:19:02 PM

This kind of info would be very nice to have on a website dedicated to the opensource version of Armory you are developing. I cant seem to find a website, only a github repo. Do you plan to create a website? I can help contributing if needed.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
August 06, 2016, 04:37:09 PM

This kind of info would be very nice to have on a website dedicated to the opensource version of Armory you are developing. I cant seem to find a website, only a github repo. Do you plan to create a website? I can help contributing if needed.

When I have time for it. This is far from the top item on my list.

TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 03:14:56 PM

I cant seem to find a website, only a github repo. Do you plan to create a website? I can help contributing if needed.

Looks like the old site is back online.

The old format link is here with text here.

When I have time for it. This is far from the top item on my list.

I think the format would be improved if it was split into two. 

The current system encrypts the wallet when new meta-data is added.  This can lead to file corruption.

Each wallet should be two files.

• Root master key
  • Wallet read/write data

Both would be encrypted, but the root master key file would be 100% read only.  It would never change.  If you generate 100 new keys, they would be added to the 2nd file and only cause that file to change.

Back when I was playing around with testnet coins, generating 1000+ keys could cause Armory to crash.  Killing the process could cause the wallet to end up in a corrupt state.

You could make it so that each wallet is a directory containing both files, if that is more tidy.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: