Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:44:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow, when did bitcoin become so expensive?  (Read 3866 times)
Liam W (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 05:21:30 PM

So, coming back to bitcoin after at least half a year of forgetting about it. I look on intersango and see that it says that 1 BTC is around £50. I check on MT.Gox and it says the same thing...

When did bitcoin start being worth so much?!?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 05:22:51 PM

while you were out, obviously  Wink

-
Liam W (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 05:37:50 PM

Oh, hardy ha Wink

Seriously, last time I checked before today 1 BTC = £4. Now it's like 1BTC = £42...
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 06:19:57 PM

Welcome to the phenomena that is Bitcoin.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:29:42 PM

So, coming back to bitcoin after at least half a year of forgetting about it. I look on intersango and see that it says that 1 BTC is around £50. I check on MT.Gox and it says the same thing...

The last two months.

http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg360ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Britainacoin

Activity: 256

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:35:24 PM

I bought some in November at £7 a coin. I came back a couple of months not really expecting much, maybe a rise of a couple of pounds, but certainly nothing like the level it's become.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:48:44 PM

while you were out, obviously  Wink

Oh, hardy ha Wink

Seriously, last time I checked before today 1 BTC = £4. Now it's like 1BTC = £42...

The answer to your question (if you are actually looking for an answer) depends on what you mean by "so expensive".

If you are asking when in the past 12 months did the MtGox rate first increase above £4 the answer is June 15, 2012.

If you are asking when in the past 12 months did the MtGox rate first increase above £42 the answer is March 20, 2013.
Liam W (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 09:46:15 PM

Oh, hardy ha Wink

The answer to your question (if you are actually looking for an answer) depends on what you mean by "so expensive".

If you are asking when in the past 12 months did the MtGox rate first increase above £4 the answer is June 15, 2012.

If you are asking when in the past 12 months did the MtGox rate first increase above £42 the answer is March 20, 2013.

Nice reply Wink

So, the last few months? Damn, I should've bough some cheap earlier Sad
theowalpott

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 09:50:56 PM

I came back after mining a few coins over the summer of 2011, and stopped in the winter when I couldn't get free power from a solar array anymore. I think they were about ~$5 when I stopped looking.. I just kept what I had and forgot about it. Very happy to see the price increase when I checked a few weeks ago.. started mining a lil bit again too Smiley

1FwGATm6eU5dSiTp2rpazV5u3qwbx1fuDn
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 10:18:53 PM

Ok,A lot of things have changed since then and most people avoid intersango!!!!!!

The real price spikes started I think around late ~Jan. and has had very large price swings forward followed by a period of cooling but the important thing is that the value remained after the spikes.Someone or a group of individuals has been buying very large amounts of BTC and so far it hasn't stopped!

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:12:55 AM

Speculators and traders are riding the Cypriot wave at the moment. 

There's a widely held belief that if Cyprus does default then people will see any way possible to smuggle money out of Cyprus.  Bitcoin would be one such way.  They're also betting on the Italians, Greeks and Spanish behaving the same way once they too fear their bank accounts being cut or frozen.

If things calm down in Cyprus I wouldn't be surprised at all to see bitcoin return to high 50s/ low 60s and stay there for a while.  It's still incredibly high compared to January 2013 of course.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:14:32 AM

There's a widely held belief that if Cyprus does default then people will see any way possible to smuggle money out of Cyprus.  Bitcoin would be one such way.  They're also betting on the Italians, Greeks and Spanish behaving the same way once they too fear their bank accounts being cut or frozen.

If things calm down in Cyprus I wouldn't be surprised at all to see bitcoin return to high 50s/ low 60s and stay there for a while.  It's still incredibly high compared to January 2013 of course.

This. +21000000
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:41:24 AM

I agree, except maybe we stay in a higher range. This would great IMO - we need to base for a while. Get seriously coiled for the next move.
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:03:33 AM

I bought my first bitcoins at £4.50, about 2 weeks after discovering it. Over the next few months I spent a lot of time reading up about it, how the protocol works and the safest way to store coins. A few months later I felt confident to make a reasonable investment, by which time the price was £7.50. It's been a lot of fun since then   Grin

Recently, however, I think the price has been rising too quickly. Too high too fast is bad news, as it increases the chances of another major crash. I'm hoping we can settle down for a while so people can get used to this price, before we carry on upwards. Unfortunately I won't be at all surprised if we continue to see a stupid amount of growth next week.

Long term however, I remain optimistic - I see no reason why we shouldn't see coins go for over £1000, so long as there are no major flaws discovered in the protocol. Based on this, I would say that the simplest strategy is to invest an amount that you're willing to lose, and then forget about it for the next few years. You may well be pleasantly surprised when you return to it. I think trying to follow the market and sell the tops is a bad idea for most people, you may win once or twice but eventually you'll get caught out and could lose quite a lot. I'm sure many others here would second this opinion.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 04:10:02 AM

I still believe the "Cyprus effect" is overrated regarding bitcoin. I would be inclined to think otherwise if gold had been rallying at the same time, as it tends to during times of financial panic/unrest.

Bitcoin price has risen because of a sudden rush of demand, but the "Cyprus effect" has not played a great rôle in that demand, even if a few more Spaniards have downloaded bitcoin apps on their phones or whatever.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
BitPirate

Activity: 238

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:18:29 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 08:35:03 AM by BitPirate

I bought my first bitcoins at £4.50, about 2 weeks after discovering it. Over the next few months I spent a lot of time reading up about it, how the protocol works and the safest way to store coins. A few months later I felt confident to make a reasonable investment, by which time the price was £7.50. It's been a lot of fun since then   Grin

Recently, however, I think the price has been rising too quickly. Too high too fast is bad news, as it increases the chances of another major crash. I'm hoping we can settle down for a while so people can get used to this price, before we carry on upwards. Unfortunately I won't be at all surprised if we continue to see a stupid amount of growth next week.

Long term however, I remain optimistic - I see no reason why we shouldn't see coins go for over £1000, so long as there are no major flaws discovered in the protocol. Based on this, I would say that the simplest strategy is to invest an amount that you're willing to lose, and then forget about it for the next few years. You may well be pleasantly surprised when you return to it. I think trying to follow the market and sell the tops is a bad idea for most people, you may win once or twice but eventually you'll get caught out and could lose quite a lot. I'm sure many others here would second this opinion.

I agree, but all growth comes in fits and spurts; it's unreasonable to expect a straight line on a small scale. I think next week will test where bitcoin prices can go ($100+), but there will then be a pull-back. These pull-backs help people regain confidence. The spurts are just as important though, as they test the ceiling.

Definitely agree it is pointless to day-trade; the risks are too high. As a long-term investment though things still look solid.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 08:12:38 AM

People say news isn't part of the fundamentals, but it is when most people have never even heard of Bitcoin and getting the word out is the biggest challenge. One very important fundamental number for Bitcoin is simply the number of people who've heard about it.
josiahgarber

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:42:04 AM

People say news isn't part of the fundamentals, but it is when most people have never even heard of Bitcoin and getting the word out is the biggest challenge. One very important fundamental number for Bitcoin is simply the number of people who've heard about it.

Yes I agree.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:42:41 PM

Yes, with all the newcomers there is a lot of money entering the market.
AndyRossy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:47:18 PM

Check the exponetial curve upwards.  "Clearly related" to the growth in BTC transactional value, or maybe to do with it's "gold backing" oh....

I think it grew because, people like you see it growing, hey it might grow to $200.... and sadly most people are optimistic and greedy.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: