Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:38:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB: 2013 brass .5 Casascius funded  (Read 950 times)
eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 02:30:43 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2016, 03:33:11 PM by eddie13

I want to turn my BTC stash into a physical coin for long term investment/cold storage purposes. This will be my first coin..

I think I'd like a 2013 brass half, and would prefer a graded one in a case. I would really like one that was funded before or during the $1200 pump, before the peak..

Anyone have one like that I could buy?

What about are the going rates for 2013 brass .25 or .5 coins? Should I wait for the price of BTC to go up before I buy a physical with BTC or do they stay pretty even with prices?

Say I but a .25 coin now for .5 BTC or whatever they go for.. If BTC goes to $2k will it still be worth .5 BTC or will the collector value of the coin follow $ rather than BTC and be worth only .35 BTC instead of .5?  

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 02:34:55 PM

The physical coin market is a bit slow now, so this is the perfect time to pick up a coin  Smiley

There are no 0.25 casascius coins btw. And I can't say what the current price is for a casascius brass half, but I'm sure there are many that will help with that.

And about your question about the BTC->USD price, it is difficult to tell what happens. There have been times where BTC rising and the value rises, as well as the opposite.

That being said, it's always a good idea to buy a casascius coin and help spread your investments out a bit.  Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Zepher
Copper Member

Activity: 686
Merit: 603

Electricity is really just organized lightning

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 03:02:19 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2016, 03:22:14 PM by Zepher

I want to turn my BTC stash into a physical coin for long term investment/cold storage purposes. This will be my first coin..

What about are the going rates for 2013 brass .25 or .5 coins? Should I wait for the price of BTC to go up before I buy a physical with BTC or do they stay pretty even with prices?

Say I but a .25 coin now for .5 BTC or whatever they go for.. If BTC goes to $2k will it still be worth .5 BTC or will the collector value of the coin follow $ rather than BTC and be worth only .35 BTC instead of .5?  

As miffman has rightly pointed out, there are no 0.25BTC coins from Casascius.
It is a buyers market at the moment, so you have chosen a good time to purchase a coin Smiley
A 2013 brass half in mint condition recently sold at auction for just under 0.75BTC...
And another 2013 brass half in very good condition sold for ~0.89BTC in a different sales thread.
Both these coins were ungraded.

There is a big variety of Casascius coins to choose from, depending on your budget of course Smiley
There is a lovely MS65 Casascius All Silver 1BTC coin for 2.12BTC, check OgNasty's thread for pictures..

Edit:https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1470719.0 it's a nice coin for the BTC

My only payment address: 1ZephertJThxkHih7XcaUHBkMSnvkTt5u
eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2016, 03:29:41 PM by eddie13

A 2013 brass half in mint condition recently sold at auction for just under 0.75BTC...

I'd buy that.. Good to know I can afford a brass half..

I want a 2013 because it is my favorite year on the chart Smiley
Unfortunately I didn't get into BTC until it was about $700 coming down from 2013's $1200 but I've never bought BTC so it doesn't really matter..

I think I'd like a 2013 brass half, and would prefer a graded one in a case. I would really like one that was funded before or during the $1200 pump, before the peak..

Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 03:31:34 PM

I'd buy that.. Good to know I can afford a brass half..

I want a 2013 because it is my favorite year on the chart Smiley
Unfortunately I didn't get into BTC until it was about $700 coming down from 2013's $1200 but I've never bought BTC so it doesn't really matter..

I think I'd like a 2013 brass half, and would prefer a graded one in a case. I would really like one that was funded before the $1200 pump..

The price for a graded coin in an ANACS slab will depend on the grade you want, and what is available on the market. There would be a noticeable difference in price between a MS65 and a MS68 coin.
A lot of people are not prepared to sell their coins for the prices we have seen them go for lately, so although prices are cheaper than they have been when a coin is for sale, if you are looking for something specific, you will have to convince an owner to part with it Smiley

owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1965

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 04:16:16 PM

This is all true. The cheapest ungraded brass 2013 .5 I can find right now is from wtbbs - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1529099.0

(I Just bought the first one from him, and I also bought the one from woodson for .89 the other day, as Z mentioned).

I have never seen any ungraded 2013 .5 brass go for less than .8 myself... They are becoming harder to find too.

Thanks

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 04:24:20 PM

This is all true. The cheapest ungraded brass 2013 .5 I can find right now is from wtbbs - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1529099.0

(I Just bought the first one from him, and I also bought the one from woodson for .89 the other day, as Z mentioned).

I have never seen any ungraded 2013 .5 brass go for less than .8 myself... They are becoming harder to find too.

Thanks

This First Batch Brass Half was bought by myself for 0.745BTC.
I have not actually received the coin yet, it has gone walkabouts... but that is a separate matter entirely Smiley

TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989

฿uy ฿itcoin

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 04:34:21 PM

Thanks

I have not actually received the coin yet, it has gone walkabouts... but that is a separate matter entirely Smiley

Undecided

Did you use escrow?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1965

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 04:37:08 PM

Thanks

Wow, good score. Missed that auction!  Hope you get it soon! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 04:47:16 PM

Thanks

Undecided

Did you use escrow?

Yep, used escrow through OgNasty. So at least my funds are safe.
But I want the coin Cry

Quote from: owlcatz

Wow, good score. Missed that auction!  Hope you get it soon! Cheesy

Me too Sad Pretty pissed that it has gone missing, to say the least.
I'll actually update that thread. Apologies for the derail eddie13.

eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 05:17:16 PM

I just read that thread and was all "DAMN I want that!!"

No problm at all..

eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 05:27:01 PM

Thanks

He is in the Netherlands and I'm in USA.. I don't really want to deal with international anonymous money transmission through customs if I can help it..

I can pay up to .811 right now..
Well...

MY ACTIVE LOANS
Coin   Rate           Amount      Duration    Auto-renew    Type           Date   
BTC   0.0168%   0.81152585      2 Days     Off                 Provided   2016-08-06 22:49:08

Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 05:39:59 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2016, 06:05:04 PM by Zepher

I just read that thread and was all "DAMN I want that!!"

No problm at all..

That specific coin went for less than it should have done, I would say. It was rather the exception, than the norm.

You say that you want a Casascius 0.5BTC Coin. Is this because of budget, or are you specifically after a Brass Half? If your budget is low, then going for a brass half might be a good idea. If your budget is higher, you can get more bang for your buck.
If you can afford a bit more, I know of some Casascius 2013 Brass 1BTC coins going for less than 1.3BTC each..
if you are after premium coins, there are also some ANACS Graded Casascius Silver 0.5BTC Coins floating around ( not on the forum, but can be arranged ). They demand a much higher premium than the brass, and are therefore more expensive.
Is this something you would be interested in? Let me know if you want a picture of an example of one of the Silver 0.5's from Casascius.

Edit: I see that you currently have 0.811 to spend. Hmmm.
Does the coin have to be a Casascius? 0.811 is not going to be enough to pick up a slabbed brass half. You will need a bit more BTC.

eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 06:00:26 PM

That specific coin went for less than it should have done, I would say. It was rather the exception, than the norm.

You say that you want a Casascius 0.5BTC Coin. Is this because of budget, or are you specifically after a Brass Half? If your budget is low, then going for a brass half might be a good idea.

Yeah I want the brass half because it fits my budget..

If your budget is higher, you can get more bang for your buck.
If you can afford a bit more, I know of some Casascius 2013 Brass 1BTC coins going for less than 1.3BTC each..

So the premium over the BTC spot price for a 1 vs a .5 is basically the same, spot + .25-.3 wih the 1btc coins being maybe a bit less premium and easier to come by..

eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 06:15:19 PM

Does the coin have to be a Casascius? 0.811 is not going to be enough to pick up a slabbed brass half. You will need a bit more BTC.

I could maybe squeeze out/liquidate another .1 - .15 BTC but it would be paypal from there on and that's prolly not going to happen..

Has to be Casascius, doesn't have to be slabbed..

Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 06:19:40 PM

Quote from: eddie13

Yeah I want the brass half because it fits my budget..

Okay, good to know, thanks Smiley

Quote from: eddie13

So the premium over the BTC spot price for a 1 vs a .5 is basically the same, spot + .25-.3 wih the 1btc coins being maybe a bit less premium and easier to come by..

Everyones opinion varies here, and the premiums are very different for all the coins Casascius made, and they adjust again depending on how they graded ( if they are graded ).
For example, a Series 3 Silver 0.5 has a premium of multiple times its' face value.
A 10BTC All Silver or Silver with Gilding is worth anything upwards of 17BTC for a coin in mint condition.
A 2013 1 BTC Brass will have a very low premium over face value, so ~1.3BTC and maybe a bit more depending on the condition.
Graded coins will be a little more.
I would say the price of ~0.89 for a good condition Brass Half is a more reasonable assumption of its' worth, than the price I paid for mine.

I could maybe squeeze out/liquidate another .1 - .15 BTC but it would be paypal from there on and that's prolly not going to happen..

Has to be Casascius, doesn't have to be slabbed..

If I was in your shoes, and somehow could get an extra 0.5 together, my choice would be to go for a 2013 Brass 1BTC coin.
These are relatively easy to get, unlike the half. Both coins make a great entry into the world of physical crypto.
Premium wise - these 2 coins are about as best value as you are going to get for a Casascius.

spectre1989

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2016, 07:24:04 PM

Hi there,

I have some 1 and 0.5 BTC Casascius 2013 coins I can sell you, they aren't graded though, but they are in great condition. The day they turned up I put them straight in to protective cases and have literally never taken them out. Let me know if you're interested!

Cheers
Joe
eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 07:27:47 PM

Hi there,

I have some 1 and 0.5 BTC Casascius 2013 coins I can sell you, they aren't graded though, but they are in great condition. The day they turned up I put them straight in to protective cases and have literally never taken them out. Let me know if you're interested!

Cheers
Joe

I am interested in a .5

Can you post pics and the firstbits? (with a paper with your username and date please)

Zepher
Copper Member

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 07:29:28 PM

Hi there,

Cheers
Joe

Could you possibly take a photo or two of the coins you have available, along with your BitcoinTalk username and the current date?
Not saying you aren't being truthful, but this forum sees it's fair share of scammers!

Edit: Beat me to it Wink

eddie13, remember to use escrow if you guys come to an agreement Smiley

spectre1989: it might be worth your while uploading some pics. I would be interested in a 0.5 as well. For the right price.

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
August 07, 2016, 07:29:41 PM

And as always, don't forget to escrow. Use Ognasty, Blazed or Mitchell.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender