Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:53:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Mt.Gox really verify my identity in 10 days?  (Read 866 times)
Chuu (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:16:03 AM

From my initial research the cheapest way to buy bitcoins with $USD appears to be via Mt.Gox using Dwolla (please tell me if this is incorrect!), however this requires a verified account.  I sent them my information, and now am #5640 in the verification queue.  They state that it takes about 10 days to verify personal information.

Can Mt.Gox really verify ~560people/day and this is expected, or is there a volume spike right now and it's realistically going to be much longer than 10 days?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
superdork

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:02:24 AM

maybe the shitstorm that is going on in Cyprus is driving an insane amount of traffic there.

I'm very much a newb, but it looks like the price has doubled in the last week, so my $.02 (essentially completely worthless) on the matter is that if the central bankers decide to pull some super-shisety shit and yank money out of bank accounts then that sends shockwaves through the banking community and people move their money elsewhere, gold is up quite a bit in that same time frame, however with so much gold already in possession and bitcoin being a fairly new currency a "big jump" to bitcoin would have a more noticeable affect of the market.

Just a guess.

Can anyone weigh in with data regarding verification times in the past to compare?

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:16:06 AM

From my initial research the cheapest way to buy bitcoins with $USD appears to be via Mt.Gox using Dwolla (please tell me if this is incorrect!), however this requires a verified account.  I sent them my information, and now am #5640 in the verification queue.  They state that it takes about 10 days to verify personal information.

Can Mt.Gox really verify ~560people/day and this is expected, or is there a volume spike right now and it's realistically going to be much longer than 10 days?

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at LocalBitcoins.com and see if someone near you is willing to sell bitcoins to you directly without the fees and delays that you'll find at MtGox.
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:23:15 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=157360.0
bbond77

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:45:34 AM

Day 8 now and watching the queue im on track for the 10th day. Coinbase was 2 days to verify, but it took another 3 days to be able to INITIATE a purchase and im heading into day 3 of "pending". Its what I expected but i bought at $65.05 so im not too worried about the wait. All it means is BITCOIN IS ON THEE RISE! Growing pains are GOOD.

Unless you want BTC NOW damnet!!
cobra-kai

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 07:58:59 AM

When I posted the verification information one and a half week ago, I was about #3000 in the verification queue. I got verified yesterday, after 5 or 6 business days. Extrapolating from that, it seems that you should probably be able to get verified in 10 or so business days.
bitrocket

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 08:50:46 AM

The MtGox waiting list was over 5500 for me.. still waiting

NEW Rocketpool Giveaway [POOL][DOGE] 10,000 Doge Block Finder Bonus on now: http://doge.rocketpool.org
>50,000 Dogecoin bounty in blockfinder rewards
Ottoman1

Activity: 26

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:55:10 AM

It took me about 8 days and I was verified on Mar 18. I bet they are experiencing some wild traffic at Mtgox, lot of people wanting to opt out of their fiat it seems. Many speak of speculation bubble etc. but the number of people wanting access to the most liquid BTC market tells me another story - there is genuin interest in getting your hands on these coins.
theta

Activity: 164

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:26:51 AM

Many speak of speculation bubble etc. but the number of people wanting access to the most liquid BTC market tells me another story - there is genuin interest in getting your hands on these coins.

How are the two mutually exclusive? People have a genuine speculative interest in bitcoins, hence it's a speculative bubble. Unless you think that people rush because they need BTC to buy something that they cannot otherwise get, i.e. is not available to purchase using fiat (silk road?). To me it seems it's for hoarding/investment/speculation purposes, not for consumption.
Ottoman1

Activity: 26

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:57:18 AM

I did not mean that they are mutually exclusive - maybe I should have formulated myself differently.

I just dont believe in the speculation "bubble" that I hear from many ends, but I certainly agree that most likely some people are in it to make gains on their fiat. 
theta

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:06:18 PM

I did not mean that they are mutually exclusive - maybe I should have formulated myself differently.

I just dont believe in the speculation "bubble" that I hear from many ends, but I certainly agree that most likely some people are in it to make gains on their fiat. 

It really depends on one's definition of a bubble. If the connotation is that a crash is imminent, then that's probably not true. If it means that the price is mainly driven by speculative forces and it's much higher than the intrinsic value (as defined by what the supply and demand for actual end users) would justify, then it probably is.

In my view, bitcoin has the potential to become the greatest bubble in human history. It has all the right ingredients. A robust design (with great features such as perfect divisibility), a good fundamental argument for its existence and utility, and most important of all, limited supply by design and no objective valuation method, which means that the price is determined exclusively by supply and demand, which means that it's the perfect candidate for the Greater Fool theory.

Why are the two last characteristics very important? The limited supply is obvious. The lack of objective valuation is almost equally important though. Imagine that bitcoin was like a traditional asset, that was tied to the real economy and generated cash flows. Example of such an asset is a house. It generates cash flows (rents). It can be valued as a multiple of the rents it generates. One can make assumptions about whether the rents will go down or up, the vacancy rate, the maintenance cost, etc. etc., and can derive a valuation for the house. This you can call the intrinsic value. Prices can deviate from that value, as people have different assumptions but they can't deviate too much for too long (you can see it with the recent house bubble bust).

Other assets however, don't generate cash flows and their value depends entirely upon what other people will pay for them. They don't have an intrinsic value (or it's very small compared to their actual price so it can be ignored). Examples of them are unique works of art (eg. a Picasso painting) and gold. The intrinsic value of a Picasso is almost zero, and gold's intrinsic value (as defined by its use for industrial and decorative purposes) is a tiny fraction of its current price. The current price for both of these examples is such because people buy them with the expectation that other people in the future will pay more for them. Their owners don't derive any cash flows or other utility from them (psychological only perhaps?). So how can one value them? Well, because there is no objective way of valuing them, anyone can say whatever they want, and if enough people believe them, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy (like a religion). If I say (especially with the "authority" of an auctioneer) that a particular Picasso is worth $5m, lots of rich folk may bid up to and above that amount in order to secure the prized painting. If enough people believe that gold must equal in value to the total US money supply, then every time they expect the latter to grow, they buy gold and the price goes up. The important thing is that the intrinsic value (derived from industry and jewellery use) is small and there's no objective way to measure the additional, investment value. One can say that we should value it at the total of the US money supply, which makes 1 ounce worth around $2000, or the total US$ credit in circulation, which values it at $10000, or the world GDP (value $15000), or global debt (value $50000). Or given that gold is noone's liability any more (since 1971), we should just value it at its intrinsic value (probably around $500). The thing is, given the asymmetry of payoffs between the different estimates/valuations, it pays off to be long, so more people join the long side and the bubble keeps going. 

George Soros said a few years ago that gold is the perfect bubble instrument (for these very reasons). I think that bitcoin has even better potential than gold. Which is why I'm in, albeit at very small part of my assets (~1%), in proportion to what I perceive as its risk. The problem is that unlike gold, the religion is not well formed and could very well collapse. Having potential doesn't mean that it will definitely be realised. If it does, the value of 1 bitcoin could very well exceed $1m (in which case my tiny holdings will suffice). If it fails to catch on as religion (this is the important part), then it could collapse, and I won't shed a tear.

To sum up: 1) the reason I call it a bubble: the price is driven up by people who buy it for investment/speculation (same thing) purposes, and it's way above its intrinsic value and 2) calling it a bubble does not have a negative connotation, it's merely descriptive.
bitdude

Activity: 277
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:37:04 PM

as for the original question: they are pretty quick, so the answer is yes
Whik

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:43:54 PM

When you get verified do they notify you?  I signed up for verification and the countdown went all the way to zero over the course of about a week but not the countdown is gone and my account doesn't really look any different.  I'm trying to get a Dwolla transfer to my MtGox account so I don't have to fool around with Bitinstant anymore which has really turned to shit recently.
theta

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:50:33 PM

When you get verified do they notify you?  I signed up for verification and the countdown went all the way to zero over the course of about a week but not the countdown is gone and my account doesn't really look any different.  I'm trying to get a Dwolla transfer to my MtGox account so I don't have to fool around with Bitinstant anymore which has really turned to shit recently.

Yes, they send you an email.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:07:03 PM

They're working on hiring more support, don't worry.
Whik

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:07:58 PM

Yes, they send you an email.

Hmm, well I didn't get an e-mail from them saying one way or the other.  But there is no notice of my being verified and I still can't fund my account via Dwolla so I'm not sure what's going on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: