Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:37:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching off and on a powerboard from internet?  (Read 45913 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 02:00:26 PM

I wanted to host miners at a datacentre because of the power used. For that i wanted to use such devices: Click

Its possible to switch power on and off over the internet with it. This way i could easily restart the raspberry and the miner when something is blocking.

Since it seems overclocked boards from burnin can draw up to 100W per board i wanted to use 1500W ATX power supply per 15 boards.

I asked the provider of these devices and he claimed that only 4 of the 6 connectors can be enabled over internet and that a max of 2500W can flow through it.

This lead me to the question... can many miners be hosted at a datacentre at all? I read at the offer of a 42U-Colocation-Rack that it has max 2 x 10A: Click. For 220V that would mean a maximum of 4400W for a 42U-Colocation-Rack. Oo Am i calculated wrong? If its correct that would mean only 44 miners hosted in such a huge rack. And 40 could be theoretically pressed in one 2U-Rack.

So what to think about this now, what to do?

In case i miscalculated and its fully possible, does someone has a replacement device for european power net for enabling power over internet? One connector should at least take 1500W since thats the power supply i would plug in. I didnt find alternatives.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trigeek

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 02:35:54 PM

I wanted to host miners at a datacentre because of the power used. For that i wanted to use such devices: Click

Its possible to switch power on and off over the internet with it. This way i could easily restart the raspberry and the miner when something is blocking.

Since it seems overclocked boards from burnin can draw up to 100W per board i wanted to use 1500W ATX power supply per 15 boards.

I asked the provider of these devices and he claimed that only 4 of the 6 connectors can be enabled over internet and that a max of 2500W can flow through it.

This sounds about right to me.  Those types of PDU's usually have a couple of "always-on" outlets for other things, and the limit of 2500W for the device comes down to the supply cabling to the PDU itself.  I'm not sure what standard wall connectors are rated at in germany, but 2400W is the practical limit for a standard outlet here.  So it's not the device itself that is limited to 2500W, it is the wall plug.

This lead me to the question... can many miners be hosted at a datacentre at all? I read at the offer of a 42U-Colocation-Rack that it has max 2 x 10A: Click. For 220V that would mean a maximum of 4400W for a 42U-Colocation-Rack. Oo Am i calculated wrong? If its correct that would mean only 44 miners hosted in such a huge rack. And 40 could be theoretically pressed in one 2U-Rack.

You calculated right.  Most datacenters max out at around 5KW per rack... many are lower than that.  If you're lucky, you MIGHT be able to find some that will go up to 7KW.  This maximum is derived from typical uses cases for hosted customers, and the entire datacenter is built around this assumption.  All of the power cabling, cooling systems, etc, is designed around that maximum. So it is tough for them to go over that without significant work.

In case i miscalculated and its fully possible, does someone has a replacement device for european power net for enabling power over internet? One connector should at least take 1500W since thats the power supply i would plug in. I didnt find alternatives.

You're kind of out of luck.  I would look at smaller power supplies, and more of the switched PDU's.

# HashStrike $ Mining Pools -- Ruby -- Karma -- Mint -- Leaf -- Zeit -- Syn
** Low Fees ** Awesome support ** Super stable **

CryptoCluster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 02:40:21 PM

Maybe you should look at something like those: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gsm-power-socket
You just send text SMS message and it reboots. It usually handles 16A/250V.
I have seen similar units for around 25-40 Euro.

Maybe you should just ask your energy provider for more Amps in your home? It might be far cheaper than collocation with all those peripherals. New electric line able to provide 36kW costs ~1700 Euro in Poland.

"The cumulative development of a medium of exchange on the free market — is the only way money can become established. ... government is powerless to create money for the economy; it can only be developed by the processes of the free market." M. N. Rothbard
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 03:11:06 PM

I wanted to host in another country with lower energy costs. It would beat the price i had to pay at home. And i would prefer not to stack my house full with miners too.

I didnt await such problem... too bad...

Regarding the linked device. Sounds good but the connector isnt european. And wont it need a GSM-Contract so that a sim is inside of it? Could be costly...

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:40:28 PM

Take your Watts and divide by your Volts and you will get your Amps.    If they give you 20amps max at 220 then you can do a max of 4400 watts.  1U is pretty small for a miner.   In our DC, we can do 8-10 Avalons per rack as a comparison.    

My question is how much Hashrate can you get per rack?   You should also ask your DC what is the temp they set the facility for.  You don't want to get into a situation where the ambient temp is normal for regular servers but too high for opitimal hashing.    

In our DC (built from scratch), we are only doing ASIC so we over engineered the HVAC to keep the ambient temp under 75 degrees under full load.  In reality I am going to push it even lower.  

-Dalkore

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
CryptoCluster

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 08:46:09 PM

Here is something with EU socket: http://allegro.pl/zdalny-wlacznik-gsm-z-pomiarem-temperatury-i3419795008.html (1 EUR = 4.20 PLN)

It has also temp monitoring, and will send you SMS if ambient goes to high (you will know if DC cheats you :-) ).

If DC is in other country you would have to get local SIM and then you can send messages by some internet gateway.

"The cumulative development of a medium of exchange on the free market — is the only way money can become established. ... government is powerless to create money for the economy; it can only be developed by the processes of the free market." M. N. Rothbard
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 08:53:38 PM

I would try to use 2U because i can stack 2 miner on another with the heatsink together. In theory, without psu and raspberry, it could house 40 miners in one 750mm deep 19" 2U-rack. But only the real miner will tell me if it will work this way.

I know your offer from the start. 2 things kept me away for now from your offer. The management fee, even though the power is low cost, will eat much more than in a normal datacentre. I would need to ship it out of EU into USA. I fear problems at customs.

On the other hand... at some point i need to find a solution of some kind...

Here is something with EU socket: http://allegro.pl/zdalny-wlacznik-gsm-z-pomiarem-temperatury-i3419795008.html (1 EUR = 4.20 PLN)

It has also temp monitoring, and will send you SMS if ambient goes to high (you will know if DC cheats you :-) ).

If DC is in other country you would have to get local SIM and then you can send messages by some internet gateway.

Hm... i would need a lot of these devices then to power one psu with each. And each would need a sim. Is there a way to get so many sims without high costs? I only know contracts where they give you maximum 2 contracts and thats it. But when needing more? Is it doable at affordable prices at all?

CryptoCluster

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 09:06:14 PM

In Poland cheapest prepaid sim is ~1EUR, and it is able to answer calls for 6 or 12 months (but not sending sms or calling). Than you have to load it with cash (~5 EUR).

You can use 1 per 3 1500 PSUs. You will just reset all of them at once. Probably downtime will be less costly than buying more control units.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 09:48:46 PM

In Poland cheapest prepaid sim is ~1EUR, and it is able to answer calls for 6 or 12 months (but not sending sms or calling). Than you have to load it with cash (~5 EUR).

You can use 1 per 3 1500 PSUs. You will just reset all of them at once. Probably downtime will be less costly than buying more control units.

Good idea... didnt think that they can receive calls while not loaded... but 3 psu on one of those? Dont you think that will exceed its limit? I read something of 16A there. Its probably the max. So 16x230v = 3680W right?

I need to find prepaid cards from the hosting country then. In case there is a datacentre that allow this power draw.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 09:52:51 PM

I know your offer from the start. 2 things kept me away for now from your offer. The management fee, even though the power is low cost, will eat much more than in a normal datacentre. I would need to ship it out of EU into USA. I fear problems at customs.

On the other hand... at some point i need to find a solution of some kind...

Just for discussion sake, pretend your unit generates 1 BTC a day @ $100.00.   Over a months time your hosting would be $270.00 a month.  In a DC, you are looking at over $125 a month alone.   In our case, we actually manage the box and keep it online.  You would not get that from a DC.  Next, I would point out that these boxes make less over time so maybe right now it seems higher but we are hosting boxes for 1 year at a time, so in 6 months from now it will look like a good deal and you will still be hashing.  Last is cooling, we are tailoring our DC for ASIC mining so we are going to cool it more than what is required for a normal web or database server.   Something to think about, I am looking long-term when going into this and over time, I will provide much more value.  

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:00:05 PM

If you have internet anyway why bother using a gsm device? get a managed pdu
http://compare.ebay.com/like/400417435975?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:10:45 PM

Good idea... didnt think that they can receive calls while not loaded... but 3 psu on one of those? Dont you think that will exceed its limit? I read something of 16A there. Its probably the max. So 16x230v = 3680W right?

I need to find prepaid cards from the hosting country then. In case there is a datacentre that allow this power draw.

You only get 10A (10A _usual_, 16A peak) per half-rack, so you need max 1X 1500W + 1x 750W (actually, it might be a bit less if they run 220 instead of 230 and you PSU's will draw more than 1500+750 at full load - about 8% more for _platinum_ rated ones -,but you should discuss this with your sales rep upfront). The normal 16A plugs are rated for 3500W (like regular schuko cables). If you need more, you move up to the 32A plugs which are totally different. Smaller units are probably more interesting - also, you can use a regular APC IP PDU and remotely power cycle 8 or 16 of them per PDU.

Last quote I got for a couple of racks in a TierIII+ in EU was 1000EUR/month for 42U, power included (2x10A) with 1000 EUR setup and 30days lead time. (without VAT). Normally, power was 8.5 cents/KWh (w/o VAT) + 10% overhead fee.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 10:23:10 PM

If you have internet anyway why bother using a gsm device? get a managed pdu
http://compare.ebay.com/like/400417435975?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Looks like the product i linked in my first post. A different product and with power connectors that doesnt match the eu ones. I would need such device for european connectors or with adapter. And then it only would make more sense to use this if it can take more than the 2500W the other device can take.

You only get 10A (10A _usual_, 16A peak) per half-rack, so you need max 1X 1500W + 1x 750W (actually, it might be a bit less if they run 220 instead of 230 and you PSU's will draw more than 1500+750 at full load - about 8% more for _platinum_ rated ones -,but you should discuss this with your sales rep upfront). The normal 16A plugs are rated for 3500W (like regular schuko cables). If you need more, you move up to the 32A plugs which are totally different. Smaller units are probably more interesting - also, you can use a regular APC IP PDU and remotely power cycle 8 or 16 of them per PDU.

Last quote I got for a couple of racks in a TierIII+ in EU was 1000EUR/month for 42U, power included (2x10A) with 1000 EUR setup and 30days lead time. (without VAT). Normally, power was 8.5 cents/KWh (w/o VAT) + 10% overhead fee.

I meant 16A was written here: http://allegro.pl/zdalny-wlacznik-gsm-z-pomiarem-temperatury-i3419795008.html So the device can only transport this amount.

It doesnt make much sense to get a full colocation server when hosting 450MHz overclocked burnin-miner in it because 2U of miners already would exceed the power the whole colocation could give. One miner eats up to 100W at 450MHz. 40 miners in one 2U eat 4000W then.

The cheapest colocation offer 42U i know is this in germany: https://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produktmatrix/racks A full rack for 200€ monthly. But for miners the power cost is way more of an factor. Thats why i looked around and found that bulgaria only has 9Cent per kWh. Hosting there, even with higher renting cost, is way cheaper because of the power cost then.
But then again... the wattage...

In fact i now think about dalkores offer and i know of someone that thinks about making a hosting service in bulgaria. But its not public yet.

minternj

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:25:40 PM

Oh sorry couldnt read german (i think), looked like regular pdu to me.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2013, 10:29:50 PM

Oh sorry couldnt read german (i think), looked like regular pdu to me.

No it is a powerboard that where 4 of the 6 power connectors can be switched on and off over internet. But it only can take 2500W in total. Is the other one better?... Doesnt look so: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Avocent-Cyclades-PM10-20A-10-Outlets-PDU/2632785/product.html
The wattage isnt much better but the price is really high if buying a new one it seems.

minternj

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 10:35:08 PM

Probably not appropriate for your EU datacetner. but im sure you could find an EU compliant advocent model similiar for 220v 20 or 30a service used for under 120 euros. Yes they are pricey new.

CryptoCluster

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:30:49 PM

Here are examples for remotly switching devices on and off:
Arduino platform: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower
Raspberry Pi: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1633/how-can-one-control-ac-power-220v-with-a-raspberry-pi

It can than be connected to RJ45 port and you are ready to go. Probably it is cheapest path.

SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 05:03:10 PM

Here are examples for remotly switching devices on and off:
Arduino platform: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower
Raspberry Pi: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1633/how-can-one-control-ac-power-220v-with-a-raspberry-pi

It can than be connected to RJ45 port and you are ready to go. Probably it is cheapest path.

Good idea. I didnt think about that the connection between PSU and miner could be blocked too instead the psu itself. I guess thats a good way. I probably would need 2 rasp then. One controlling the miner and one controlling the power going to the miners and the other raspi.

I believe i read somewhere that a raspberry can restart itself in case it hangs. That could be the first line of administration. And when the first raspi isnt reacting anymore, maybe it lost internet connection or something, then the second one can repair this the hard way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: