Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:49:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is UK so slow to jump on this?  (Read 7651 times)
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:58:51 PM

Thought this was a perfect reason to bump  Smiley ..... http://www.coindesk.com/hmrc-uk-bitcoin-exchanges-dont-have-to-register-under-money-laundering-regulations/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dirtscience

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:35:28 PM

UK has already widely acepted Bitcoin what you talkin about?
Vinnigar

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:22:34 PM

Can you explain how it is widely accepted?

I am also interested in finding out news of any UK exchanges? Ive been following coindesk now since they first started up and theyr great for up to date news, but im still buying my bitcoins through 'local bitcoins' or 'bittylicious' which is not ideal?

Anyone else get them from anywhere better?
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:45:13 PM

Can you explain how it is widely accepted?

I am also interested in finding out news of any UK exchanges? Ive been following coindesk now since they first started up and theyr great for up to date news, but im still buying my bitcoins through 'local bitcoins' or 'bittylicious' which is not ideal?

Anyone else get them from anywhere better?

A fully functioning UK exchange is not far away now.

There are a few UK based buyers/sellers on these boards Vinnigar, but do your homework, obviously. Alternatively, are there any Bitcoin MeetUps happening near you?
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 09:01:41 AM

Transferwise and CurrencyFair both blocked payments to Bitcoin exchanges, they say due to money laundering alarms at the banks they use.
This further confirms that it's not regulation that's the problem.

I've read differing opinions on the Bitcoin bank block. Some say the banks are abusing the laundering alarms to stifle bitcoin. Others say that genuinely a Bitcoin exchange looks a lot like moneylaundering so it's no wonder this happens.

However, Transferwise & CurrencyFair are 2 services that take out that factor of looking like moneylaundering out of the question surely and these were shutdown too? If these services really do take the moneylaundering factor out of the detection algorhythms then that's a smoking gun to show it's banks abusing the moneylaundering laws and putting UK business behind in the Bitcoin revolution.

The most efficient way to buy is currently Bitbargain, a great site but the spread's a bit fierce - so much so it excludes using Bitcoin for most remittance amounts.

Another way to do it could be using a transfer service and taking your banking abroad. A good example of how regulation drives business away. It's pretty easy to open a bank account abroad - any recommendations for a non UK bank somewhere supported by transferwise that isn't technically already dead?

I'm NOT condoning this... but what happens if you were to have 2 wholly separate businesses with separate bank accounts - one only buys your coins, the other only sells. Balancing between the 2 is an open market. Using company entities is the time honoured way of skirting taxes and regulations, why not here too? How could price fluctuation risk be reduced?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 09:05:44 AM

Also,

why can't normal regulated currency exchange houses such as FairFX or CurrencyFair just add BTC as a new supported currency?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 09:41:23 AM

Also,
 why can't normal regulated currency exchange houses such as FairFX or CurrencyFair just add BTC as a new supported currency?

Mainstream fx exchangers won't look at a currency which does not have a valid ISO code, which is the main reason I have been pushing XBT for the last 6 months. Fortunately xe.com recognize XBT and Bloomberg are using it internally. Once Bloomberg make their bitcoin page available to all subscribers then there is a real chance that mainstream fx companies will see it as legitimate and start supporting bitcoin.
Max Keiser talked about plans for a London bitcoin exchange, but there doesn't seem to be any news on it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: