Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:53:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Antminer S7 sound  (Read 1715 times)
riptide0610 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 11:38:13 AM

So i recently acquired an antminer s7 with bitmain's apw3-12-1600-b2 psu and immediately realised that it was loud. a bit too loud for my liking and i wanted to, somehow reduce the noise level, to make it bearable for me and the people around me.

I could possibly purchase 2 fans that'll have similar rpm, airflow, etc. I'm looking at the noctua nf-f12 pwm industrialppc-3000 as a candidate. another way is to build a noise-reducing cabinet (much like the one constructed by the one showcased in Fitzy's post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1194785.msg13157846#msg13157846)

I'm no expert in the bitcoin mining community so help would be appreciated, thanks!
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fusion0389

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 08:01:34 PM

It depends on what you mean by loud. I have several s9's and what i found to be a bit annoying is the whine\resonance you hear once the miner stabilizes and starts hashing. I played around with manually adjusting fan speeds and got to a good point. If you underclock the S7 you can reduce the fan speed a bit which should help you out.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2016, 09:52:30 PM

It depends on what you mean by loud. I have several s9's and what i found to be a bit annoying is the whine\resonance you hear once the miner stabilizes and starts hashing. I played around with manually adjusting fan speeds and got to a good point. If you underclock the S7 you can reduce the fan speed a bit which should help you out.

I think underclocking is going to be easiest, then look at possible solutions to dampen sound.   I don't think you will find fan's with as high of RPM and be quiet, so again underclocking you might be able to look at a different fan.  Although that still leaves you with the AP3 it is a good PSU just is in no way quiet (most server PSU's are not).

So you can either look at something like EVGA 1600 in atx (pricey), or go to way's of dampening sound.   If your like me it's summer so make sure you really monitor what heat does with your solution.  Some cabinet's in summer could be a death trap if you don't get enough air in and hot air out.  And this is all before you look into ROI if your doing all this for 1 S7 some solutions are going to be hard to justify cost.
riptide0610 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 11, 2016, 08:26:55 AM

I think underclocking is going to be easiest, then look at possible solutions to dampen sound.   I don't think you will find fan's with as high of RPM and be quiet, so again underclocking you might be able to look at a different fan.  Although that still leaves you with the AP3 it is a good PSU just is in no way quiet (most server PSU's are not).

So you can either look at something like EVGA 1600 in atx (pricey), or go to way's of dampening sound.   If your like me it's summer so make sure you really monitor what heat does with your solution.  Some cabinet's in summer could be a death trap if you don't get enough air in and hot air out.  And this is all before you look into ROI if your doing all this for 1 S7 some solutions are going to be hard to justify cost.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I've settled with just underclocking it by 30% and it isn't overwhelmingly loud
anakinisme

Activity: 589
Merit: 500

Founder Of miningpuppets

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 04:38:19 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions, I've settled with just underclocking it by 30% and it isn't overwhelmingly loud

Well done
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 10:07:07 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2016, 11:17:54 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Ja.
re: using different fans -- It can't be emphasized enough that when looking at fans, you *must* pay attention to what their rated working (static) pressure is. Most quiet fans have a very low pressure rating @ their advertised CFM and cannot work against the fairly high airflow resistance the densely packed s7/9's have.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Azad19

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 12:16:47 PM

So i recently acquired an antminer s7 with bitmain's apw3-12-1600-b2 psu and immediately realised that it was loud. a bit too loud for my liking and i wanted to, somehow reduce the noise level, to make it bearable for me and the people around me.

I could possibly purchase 2 fans that'll have similar rpm, airflow, etc. I'm looking at the noctua nf-f12 pwm industrialppc-3000 as a candidate. another way is to build a noise-reducing cabinet (much like the one constructed by the one showcased in Fitzy's post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1194785.msg13157846#msg13157846)

I'm no expert in the bitcoin mining community so help would be appreciated, thanks!

They are currently three contenders for high CFM / Static Pressure with acceptable noise level (around 40 dBA):
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/ultra-kaze-120.html @ 133 CFM
http://www.enermax.co.uk/fans/twisterstorm/ @ 154 CFM
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=711&area=en @ 173 CFM
The Noctua are just about 100 CFM and are not really powerful enough. I'll put the Grand Flex in the same category!
I'm running successfully overclocked S5 and slightly underclock SP20E with Twister Storm...
anakinisme

Activity: 589
Merit: 500

Founder Of miningpuppets

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2017, 06:16:58 AM

Under clock it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: