Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:06:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: -= Galaxy 1 - ASIC Announcement =-  (Read 22082 times)
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:42:10 PM

This 20nm process bothers me very much. How can there be a company holding such a technology and not having any public presentations about it, they would have so many big customers if they would just announce the technology instead of trying to hide it until some <500k bitcoin ASICs are produced. Doesn't really sound like that foundry's best interest.

I think you may have answered your own question there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:48:03 PM

At $75/BTC a pop, I can't understand people throwing money at the endless stream of fly-by-night ASIC scams. It's easy, don't! at least until said company can prove it by sending units to developers or respected members. The exception was Avalon batch #1, which was a gamble of trust which paid off... but at least they had delivered a working product before. Sure, so did BFL and bASIC, which kind of breaks that point but hey, the message remains:

IF SOMETHING IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!
GalaxyASIC (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:17:35 PM

How can there be a company holding such a technology and not having any public presentations about it

If under "company" you mean us then there is not much to say yet besides what have been said and 20nm technology is not ours its fabricator's. If you mean IC manufacturer then they have announced it. I am just not going to tell you who it is till I am allowed. But you wouldn't have to wait too long.

HashFast REFUND ! I am a HashFast's Batch 1 customer and I want full 100% BTC refund.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:18:25 PM

1 simple question:  What foundry has a 20 nm process on their roadmap?  

TSMC, 1 year ago.

senseless

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:18:51 PM

If you think TSMC is going to give any attention to Bitcoin ASICs when they have the likes of Intel, Apple and nVidia to deal with... well, I wish you best of luck  Wink

Who do you think is making Avalon chips? I guess all of those people with avalons are a scam eh?

Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 06:53:42 PM

If you think TSMC is going to give any attention to Bitcoin ASICs when they have the likes of Intel, Apple and nVidia to deal with... well, I wish you best of luck  Wink

Who do you think is making Avalon chips? I guess all of those people with avalons are a scam eh?

Those Avalons are 110nm, that must be what you're making. You'd have to be either extremely naive or a scammer to suggest anyone capable of manufacturing 20nm semiconductors is going to bother with bitcoin hardware.

But I'd love to be proven wrong  Wink
atomicdog

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 07:01:37 PM

This 20nm process bothers me very much. How can there be a company holding such a technology and not having any public presentations about it, they would have so many big customers if they would just announce the technology instead of trying to hide it until some <500k bitcoin ASICs are produced. Doesn't really sound like that foundry's best interest.

come on guys 30 seconds of googling produced this hit:

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/20nm.htm

atomicdog

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

Those Avalons are 110nm, that must be what you're making. You'd have to be either extremely naive or a scammer to suggest anyone capable of manufacturing 20nm semiconductors is going to bother with bitcoin hardware.

But I'd love to be proven wrong  Wink

i have no idea if this 20nm asic is for real or not, but TSMC is a contract manufacturer. I don't see why they would care what kind of chips they are making as long as they get paid for it...
Clearfly

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 08:12:01 PM

GlobalFoundaries will be on 20nm later this year.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20130211140309_GlobalFoundries_10nm_Process_on_Track_for_2015_7nm_Fabrication_Process_Due_in_2017.html
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 08:23:26 PM

if you work with the swiss company that recently announced their technology then I say it's feasible, will watch for updates.
Dhomochevsky

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 09:25:59 PM

Didn't they say they were using 28nm tech? I could be wrong though...
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:03:28 PM

Whatever the case. It would be nice to know if this guy is legit. I'd like to see other asic options. Even if it's only just competitive, if he can deliver on time, I'd opt for that over the current delays. And if he has a awesome customer relations, he'd probably would win not just mine, but most of the business. But I won't hold my breath in the meantime.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 10:24:32 PM

There is a galaxy of difference between getting wafer starts on a 10 year old Fab and getting access to current generation process tech.  If you aren't spending hundreds of millions with a foundry, they aren't going to even talk to you in the first couple years of operations.
senseless

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

There is a galaxy of difference between getting wafer starts on a 10 year old Fab and getting access to current generation process tech.  If you aren't spending hundreds of millions with a foundry, they aren't going to even talk to you in the first couple years of operations.

Really, How then was Adapteva able to get their 28nm Epiphany IV platform printed and packaged in less than 6 months? Scam too, right? Not really much difference between a 800,000$ kickstarter project and a bitcoin project.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 11:42:12 PM

There is a galaxy of difference between getting wafer starts on a 10 year old Fab and getting access to current generation process tech.  If you aren't spending hundreds of millions with a foundry, they aren't going to even talk to you in the first couple years of operations.

Really, How then was Adapteva able to get their 28nm Epiphany IV platform printed and packaged in less than 6 months? Scam too, right? Not really much difference between a 800,000$ kickstarter project and a bitcoin project.

Learn to read.  Then learn to comprehend.  How long have 28 nm lines been running in the foundries?

Hoping and wishing for unicorns won't produce unicorns.  It will just make you old, fat and stupid.
senseless

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:03:28 AM

Learn to read.  Then learn to comprehend.  How long have 28 nm lines been running in the foundries?

Hoping and wishing for unicorns won't produce unicorns.  It will just make you old, fat and stupid.

Wow, I'm not even sure what to say. I suppose following your own advice may be helpful.

No where did I say this was NOT a scam. Just pointing out the flaws in the arguments.

Your point was "If you arent spending hundred of millions of dollars the fab won't talk to you". This is obviously not the case as I've pointed out with the adapteva kickstarter project (which went from design -> shipping quicker than any bitcoin asic project), hence your need to fall back to straw man arguments and name calling. TSMC went online with 28nm tech in early 2010 it is now early 2013 . There are downtimes and times which the fab can run other batches than those scheduled by AMD, Nvidia, etc. Hence the reason they create a schedule, so they can pump out the smaller projects in between their larger production runs for the "big boys". The amount of wafers that a bitcoin project would need to satisfy customer demand could be pumped out in a matter of hours. They're doing 55,000 wafers a month at one of their 28nm fabs. Asicminer was getting about 12TH/s per wafer. A half dozen wafers would be the equivalent power of the entire bitcoin network at this point [probably much less than 6 wafers if on a 20nm process].

We also don't know what kind of asic it is. It could just be some cell library or a structured asic with just a single top layer mask being defined.

filharvey

Activity: 866
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:29:52 AM

Interested in seeing more details on this. When they are ready.

▄█▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄▄
           ▄█▀ ▄▄█▀▀   ▀█▄▄▀▀█▄▄
          ▀▀  ▀▀          ▀▀█▄█▀
    ▄▄▀  ▄█▀▀                    ▄   ▄▄
  ▄█▀▄▄█▀           ▄▄           ▀▀█▄ ▀█
 ▄▀ █▀     ▄▄██▄▄   ██   ▄▄██▄▄      █▄ █
 █ ▀█   ▄▄█▀▀   ▀██▄▄█▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀██▄▄   █ █
 █     █▀ ▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▀██▀  ▄██▀█▄▄ ▀▀█  █ █
 █  ▄  █ ██▀ ▄▄▄ ▀█ ██ █▀▀ ▄▄▄ ▀██ █  █ █
 █ ██  ▀ ██ █▀▀▀█▄▄ ▀█ ▄▄█▀▀▀▀█ ██ ▀  █ █
   ██    █▀ ▄▄█▄  ▀▀███▀▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█    ▀ █
   ██    ▄▄██▀ ▄▄█▄ ██  █▄▄ ▀▀██▄▄      █
 █ ██    ▀▀ ▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄███▄ ▀▀██▄▄ ▀       █
 █  █      ▀▀▀ ▄██▀▀▄█ ▀██▄▄ ▀▀       █ █
 █  █         ▀▀▀   ██    ▀▀▀         █ █
 ▀█ ▀▄▄             ██              ▄█ ▄█
  ▀█▄ ▀▀▄▄          ██          ▄▄█▀ ▄█▀
     ▀█▄▄▀▀▀        ██       ▄▄ ▀▄▄█▀▀
        ▀▀█▄   ▄▄        ▄▄█▀▀   ▀
            ▀█▄▄▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄█▀
               ▀▀█▄▄▀▀ ▄▄█▀

E M I R E X
─── إمركس ───

...Whitepaper...

The Infrastructure for the
New Digital Economy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████▄
████████████████████████
▄█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
████████▀           ████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████            █████████
█████████  ██████████████████▀
████████▄           ████████
▀█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀██████▀▀▀

E M R X

─ Token ─

...LEARN MORE...

...Register...
[/cen
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:32:53 AM

tits or gtfo Wink

zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 12:36:59 AM

Think im gonna start a "PRE ORDER BAN" thread Unless someone beats me too it!

I think it will make the community safer from preying minds! Not to say the op is full of it... Just saying!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
kernelpanic

Activity: 51

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 12:42:19 AM

First the good news.  Some basic Googling seems to indicate that Max Avroutski is a real person that has some experience in various facets of IT.  This is a step ahead of most ASIC scams where all attempts to research the company turn up nothing before three days ago.  His LinkedIn page does not inspire much confidence though, for example:

"knowledge in business processes and business practices, law, material science, psychology, neuroscience, medicine, manufacturing processes, computer science and more;"

Best case scenario is that this is a very early stage venture that will likely encounter the same issues that the other legitimate attempts did.  Chances of success are slim and none, and Slim is warming up his car to head out of town.

Please do not attempt to preorder anything!!!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: