Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:22:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon users: bitcoind + eloipool configuration  (Read 36140 times)
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:43:45 PM

Looking for a little guidance on eloipool setup.

I am fairly comfortable with ubuntu... though a bit new to python.

Anyway... I am running ubuntu 12.04 LTS server, and I think I have a stupid configuration error somewhere.  This is a pretty vanilla ubuntu 12.04 server with python3, libpython3.2, python3-dev, and build-essentials installed via apt.

I followed the top post and after all is said and done, I see in my eloipool.log the following message in a fairly tight loop:

Code:
2013-03-30 17:22:48,844 merkleMaker     CRITICAL        Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py", line 367, in raw_decode
    obj, end = self.scan_once(s, idx)
StopIteration

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 692, in run
    self.merkleMaker_I()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 682, in merkleMaker_I
    self.merkleMaker_II()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 648, in merkleMaker_II
    return self._updateMerkleTree()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 548, in _updateMerkleTree
    self._updateMerkleTree_I()
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 512, in _updateMerkleTree_I
    r = self._updateMerkleTree_fromTS(TS)
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 477, in _updateMerkleTree_fromTS
    MP = self._CallGBT(TS)
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/eloipool/merklemaker.py", line 327, in _CallGBT
    MP = access.getblocktemplate(self.GBTReq)
  File "/mining/bitcoin/build/python-bitcoinrpc/jsonrpc/authproxy.py", line 107, in __call__
    resp = json.loads(resp, parse_float=decimal.Decimal)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/__init__.py", line 322, in loads
    return cls(**kw).decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py", line 351, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py", line 369, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

I went and edited /usr/lib/python3.2/json/decoder.py so the raise would print "s" as well (i.e. raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded"+s) ) to get visibility on the problem message and it turns out to be a 401 error:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Error</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV='Content-Type' CONTENT='text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1'>
</HEAD>
<BODY><H1>401 Unauthorized.</H1></BODY>
</HTML>

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?  This is a fresh ubuntu 12.04LTS with the bitcoin.org ppa based bitcoind.  I felt it was safer to use the packaged 0.8.1 bitcoind rather than build my own... but I am not afraid if needed to build it if needed.

I checked my rpc username and password in my bitcoin.conf and config.py to make sure they match.

I thought it might be an access thing... but... I don't see anything suspicious in /var/log.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... or any pointers.  The forum search didn't turn up anything so I thought I would post.

Thanks -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:06:01 AM

In your config.py did you change ALL the test net values to real values? Check every edit in the OP.

Check your bitcoin.conf and make sure you set rpcallowip to 127.0.0.1 and your LAN IP.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:52:36 PM

If you want to operate a public pool and do not know linux... then my arguments, well... just please don't.

i can understand your frustration with those of us who don't have the experience with linux that you do.

but my feeling is that you should be encouraging and helping those of us who are willing to mine solo and don't mind the variance.  IMO, mining is becoming too centralized at pools and anyone who can distribute that power away from the pools helps the community at large.  

my personal goal is to always be able to be a full node and mine solo if possible as i think it's more healthy for the network long term.  if it turns out i can't do this b/c i can't get sufficient help then so be it.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:48:54 PM

If you want to operate a public pool and do not know linux... then my arguments, well... just please don't.

i can understand your frustration with those of us who don't have the experience with linux that you do.

but my feeling is that you should be encouraging and helping those of us who are willing to mine solo and don't mind the variance.  IMO, mining is becoming too centralized at pools and anyone who can distribute that power away from the pools helps the community at large.  

my personal goal is to always be able to be a full node and mine solo if possible as i think it's more healthy for the network long term.  if it turns out i can't do this b/c i can't get sufficient help then so be it.
Well, the real reason you can't solo mine is because you're using a fork of cgminer on Avalon.
Encourage the Avalon team to switch to BFGMiner so you can get GBT support that both works and supports solo mining Smiley
Then you won't need to setup a pool at all.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:34:14 PM

Well, the real reason you can't solo mine is because you're using a fork of cgminer on Avalon.
Encourage the Avalon team to switch to BFGMiner so you can get GBT support that both works and supports solo mining Smiley

that sounds like a reasonable suggestion.

but then how did Garzik solo mine with his cgminer fork and eloipool?
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:44:28 PM

My point is that setting up Eloipool is a workaround to the problem of being unable to solo mine directly.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

My point is that setting up Eloipool is a workaround to the problem of being unable to solo mine directly.

ah, ok.  seems to me that if BFGminer allows Avalon owners to solo or pool mine directly then indeed it needs consideration.

i'll certainly bring that up when i can but it seems Avalon is pretty set in their ways.  Grin
Aseras

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:51:16 PM

Have a new build of BFGminer to test?

Ckolivas is going to develop remotely on my units next week. Hopefully the issue is close to being fixed.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:03:12 PM

Ckolivas is going to develop remotely on my units next week. Hopefully the issue is close to being fixed.

now that is good news.

will he be working on solo mining or just fixing the restarts?
Aseras

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:01:46 AM

now that is good news.

will he be working on solo mining or just fixing the restarts?

We'll take whatever we can get.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:04:45 AM

Not yet. Due to time constraints, I will probably only be releasing 3.0.0 for Avalon as a package, and try to figure out instructions for Avalon users to install it to the ramdisk.

Last I heard, he admitted to intentionally making GBT support in cgminer defective, so I kinda doubt that.
Unless he's changed his mind recently, I know solo mining support had never been on his planned features list.

nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:37:08 AM

Not yet. Due to time constraints, I will probably only be releasing 3.0.0 for Avalon as a package, and try to figure out instructions for Avalon users to install it to the ramdisk.

I discovered a faster way to install BFGminer:

Apply this directly to the control board and you're done. Similar end result, but more permanent.

Last I heard, he admitted to intentionally making GBT support in cgminer defective, so I kinda doubt that.

Consider repeating this a few more times. Maybe add an "Amen" and it will become true!
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:51:03 AM

Luke,

is it possible to run two avalons (threads) with a single instance of bfgminer currently? what i mean -S/dev/ttyUSB0 -S/dev/ttyUSB1 assuming that both tty's are avalons?

Best

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:40:07 PM

is it possible to run two avalons (threads) with a single instance of bfgminer currently? what i mean -S/dev/ttyUSB0 -S/dev/ttyUSB1 assuming that both tty's are avalons?
Yes, just be sure you have an Avalon-enabled build. The default for all other platforms does not have it enabled at the moment.

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:11:25 PM

Yes, just be sure you have an Avalon-enabled build. The default for all other platforms does not have it enabled at the moment.
10X Luke.I will give it a shot sooner. I am waiting for my er703 spare to arive

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:17:23 AM

So... I rebuilt the server from scratch and everything seems to be working now... thanks for the steps.

One hint for fellow ubuntu folks. I don't recommend using the prebuilt bitcoind.  I think that was what was giving me grief the first time around.  Build it yourself by following TikToc's steps in "Avalon users: bitcoind and slush's/generalfaults mining pool setup" thread.  Follow the steps for building bitcoind and you should be good to go.

zero-asic

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:14:38 AM

Has anyone else tried running eloipool against the test network?  I set it up with this configuration, but when I tried the test network it gave me errors in cgminer.

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0
Aseras

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:34:02 AM

Has anyone else tried running eloipool against the test network?  I set it up with this configuration, but when I tried the test network it gave me errors in cgminer.

Works fine. Make sure you haven't commented out the test net stuff in config.py

Also there's a stratum bug on LP for new blocks the 2 arguments given blah whatever, it's ok to ignore.
zero-asic

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:48:24 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2013, 11:57:17 PM by zero-asic

Works fine. Make sure you haven't commented out the test net stuff in config.py

Also there's a stratum bug on LP for new blocks the 2 arguments given blah whatever, it's ok to ignore.

If I can ignore that then maybe I should post my install scripts.  I have it set up on my machine with my avalon pointed at it, but it hasn't found a block yet.

If anyone wants to test some install scripts for setting up eloipool + bitcoind on Ubuntu 12.04 send me a PM.

Edit: A link to the scripts is in my sig.

Eloipool + bitcoind Ubuntu 12.04 install scripts: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=171782.0
tiktoc

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:20:28 PM

If you are on testnet and you havent found a block yet with a avalon something is wrong. With a dual GPU normally find one every 5 to 10 minutes
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: