Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:18:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: Collateralized Identity – Using bitcoin to suppress sockpuppets  (Read 1895 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 05:33:40 PM

I am actually implementing something close to this on my site.

Anyone can create an account but you will have very limited access until you provide a Bitcoin address that is proven to be yours.

After that, you will have more privileges.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 08:49:26 AM

It can be useful to prove someone controls a certain amount of bitcoin balance, using the sign message feature.

But it is also useful to consider a fresh transaction, that intentionally "burns" a specific amount of money by giving it to the miner as a transaction fee.  This helps support a public service -- bitcoin transaction validation -- while assuring that real cost, real effort was spent to create an identity.

The keys used to spent the bitcoins in question provide another sign-message entry point.

That is an intriguing idea, since you can't know which miner will get it. I think people would prefer, though, to retain possession of the funds, esp if it's a large amount. That way, if you decide to stop using a particular identity, you haven't lost the money associated with it.

Of course, if you are a miner or pool operator yourself, you can just put the transaction into your own block instead of broadcasting it to the network.  So it doesn't cost you anything.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: