Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:46:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: I just got off the phone with FinCEN  (Read 5311 times)
kalinka (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:15:44 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 05:11:56 PM by kalinka

The person I spoke with had this to say:

There are no limits which exclude you from registering when dealing with virtual currency. However:

If you are buying/selling from a site such as mtgox.com, who (currently or soon?) will have coinlab which is registered with FinCen, IF you are limited to buying/Selling for speculative purposes (buying, and selling later for gain), AND as a user (trading for goods):

Then you would have the position of a speculator and would not need to register with FinCEN. MtGox/coinlab would have the responsibility in this case to report transactions to FinCEN, since they are registered.

It is only if you decide to branch out and buy/sell directly from other people that you would need to register, as well as be in compliance with their regulations.

Just a summary of what I was told by FinCEN, I can't be responsible for you following this info but seems to be accurate based on what I was told.

------------------Update 4/1/2013--------------------

I talked to Anthony from FinCEN again for further clarifications on our discussion.

It's not so much whether the other party is registered by FinCEN but it's what you are doing with the coins that matters. Basically, if you're only buying/selling coins for speculative, investment purposes then you are a user and don't need to register. That could include buying/selling from another person directly, or buying/selling physical casascius or virtual coins on ebay. If you do the ability to show that it is only for investment purposes, and use as a "user" would be on you if there were any questions.

If you're doing this as part of a business (which includes mining coins probably, since mining leads to profits of income), then you would need to register. Some points about registering, though:

-It's free to register with FinCEN
-You CAN, in fact, be your own compliance officer. He said that many business owners do just that.
-Was pointed to the following page: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=8540ec934b849dc3f899a9454b6f32d4&n=31y3.1.6.1.6&r=PART&ty=HTML

He explained that for the most part, the only things that need to be reported are suspicious transactions, and you can search the web for examples of sample anti-money laundering programs. I asked what forms of identification we needed to collect from those we did business with, he replied that I should read the regulations but in general, MSB don't have the same guidelines, as say, banks do. My interpretation of the guidelines found at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=b99714739ce703375951af7f060e38ef&rgn=div8&view=text&node=31:3.1.6.1.2.3.3.7&idno=31 is that you only need to verify the identity of the person when the amounts exceed certain thresholds.

I technically am registered as a sole proprietor, so I might or might not register. It honestly doesn't seem to be a big deal after actually talking through it and reading the stuff. I do not know, however, how the state level will impact it as of now.

------------------Update 4/3/2013--------------------

Anthony had this to clarify after checking with his colleagues:

An exchanger is a person engaged as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency. An administrator is a person engaged as a business in issuing (putting into circulation) a virtual currency , and who has the authority to redeem (to withdraw from circulation) such virtual currency.

SO

Even if you obtain the bitcoins as part of a business, if you are not in the "business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency" and are just selling coins obtained from a user standpoint, including from a business such as sale of items, etc, then that does not require you to register just because you exchange for USD later.

I think this latest clarification will make a great number of users of bitcoin not needing to register. However, if miners are still required to register, I still don't know how transacting with sites such as mtgox will work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joecascio

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 04:23:16 PM

Very interesting clarification! And a sigh of relief here. Smiley

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:27:50 PM

Yeah that's how I had interpreted it.  Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify!

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 04:29:01 PM

Basically when I explained what I wanted to do, the person I spoke with asked "So you are saying you're wanting to purchase it like a stock, and sell it later, not setting up a service where people come to you" and I said yes. He said he would look into it and call me back. Half hour or so later, he called, and clarified what I posted here. I had explained about mtgox and how their partner was registering with FinCEN already.

freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:24:54 PM

Kalinka, what in the FinCEN guidance made you think otherwise?
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:24:57 PM

thanks for checking.  Would be nice if coinlab/gox gave you a document to confirm this as a U.S. customer

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 05:26:29 PM

Cool.  That was kind of what I had been saying all along - as long as at least one of the parties involved in a currency exchange is licensed, then it is all good by FinCEN.
MagicBit15

Activity: 294

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:53:01 AM

Wish you would of recorded it, great info though!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:30:07 AM

What about local trades? face to face trades? localbitcoins? I'm not in the US, but I'm still curious.

kalinka (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

I assume for those you'd need to be FinCEN registered.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:18:44 AM

as long as at least one of the parties involved in a currency exchange is licensed, then it is all good by FinCEN.

That's not their position at all.  It depends on the transaction.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:08:50 PM

as long as at least one of the parties involved in a currency exchange is licensed, then it is all good by FinCEN.

That's not their position at all.  It depends on the transaction.
Please explain?
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:39:17 PM

Yes, if you are buying or selling from person to person or setting up a service where people can buy or sell from you, then you need to be registered. They actually did tell me this, it doesn't matter if the other person is FinCEN registered or not.

However, if you're buying/selling for speculative purposes as though it were a stock, from a site like mtgox who is FinCEN registered and you're not setting up a service where people are directly buying/selling from you, then you are just a speculator. If you were to buy/sell directly with another person then you would need to register (even if just in small amounts).

Dr-Rockso

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:12:59 PM

So, would this be the demise of sites like localbitcoins.com?

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:22:22 PM

Technically, yes.  Realistically, no.  The government isn't going to be able to regulate cash exchanges for BTC, and they'll be aiming to go after the big fish (unregulated exchanges) anyway.

Source:  The AMALC dude said it, so it must be true.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:28:07 PM

Technically, yes.  Realistically, no.  The government isn't going to be able to regulate cash exchanges for BTC, and they'll be aiming to go after the big fish (unregulated exchanges) anyway.

Source:  The AMALC dude said it, so it must be true.

Either way, now would be a good time get in contact with other traders who currently list themselves on LocalBitoins.  There may come a time where traders don't advertise but remain active at trading.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kalinka (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:36:54 PM

Does anyone even know if registering with fincen is even that much of a hassle? There are no fees or anything. Do you even need to collect info for smaller transactions?

Dr-Rockso

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 10:01:07 PM

Does anyone even know if registering with fincen is even that much of a hassle? There are no fees or anything. Do you even need to collect info for smaller transactions?

That is a great question. Also, as was mentioned, perhaps it is time to warn the peeps on the sites advertising exchange. Great point!
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:53:31 PM

There are no fees at the federal level, but you must have a "compliance officer" (who is not you) and many other rules that, if skipped, can land you in jail.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:14:33 AM

There are no fees at the federal level, but you must have a "compliance officer" (who is not you) and many other rules that, if skipped, can land you in jail.

I see. Well, I suppose unless it makes sense for me to deal with the mess, buying/selling on mtgox will be enough for me. I try asking for what is required, and they only link me to their website.

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:07:02 PM

Did you ask about selling cash in the mail for bitcoins through SR? I want to make sure I'm on the up and up.

Edit: does anyone know if SR has already registered, and if so, does that mean I'm covered? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:51:58 PM

Did you ask about selling cash in the mail for bitcoins through SR? I want to make sure I'm on the up and up.

Edit: does anyone know if SR has already registered, and if so, does that mean I'm covered? Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hahahahaha  Cheesy
FreshJR

Activity: 65

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:46:48 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 06:06:00 AM by FreshJR

Can anyone clarify this one Huh

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter.

What if you are selling the coins you mined to MTGox, who is a licensed money transmitter?  (In this case i'm assuming a that you are NOT a money transmitter)

What if the you are selling your coins to someone outside the USA, or a organization and not registered with the USA, even for non USD?  (I'm assuming in this case that you ARE a money transmitter)
smith88

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:53:12 AM

The person I spoke with had this to say:

There are no limits which exclude you from registering when dealing with virtual currency. However:

If you are buying/selling from a site such as mtgox.com, who (currently or soon?) will have coinlab which is registered with FinCen, IF you are limited to buying/Selling for speculative purposes (buying, and selling later for gain), AND as a user (trading for goods):

Then you would have the position of a speculator and would not need to register with FinCEN. MtGox/coinlab would have the responsibility in this case to report transactions to FinCEN, since they are registered.

It is only if you decide to branch out and buy/sell directly from other people that you would need to register, as well as be in compliance with their regulations.

Just a summary of what I was told by FinCEN, I can't be responsible for you following this info but seems to be accurate based on what I was told.

this is awesome; exactly what i had read into while deep review of the latest fincen regs, etc...  thank you for calling them and displacing the details here.
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:26:54 AM

I did not ask about mining, but I would think that you would be considered a transmitter. I think personally that it's dumb, especially because how can you have an AML program when you are the person initiating the trades? It's not like you set up a site where people come to you.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:29:19 PM

What if you are selling the coins you mined to MTGox, who is a licensed money transmitter?  (In this case i'm assuming a that you are NOT a money transmitter)

Mt. Gox is not today a licensed money transmitter in the U.S.   

But even if they were, do you as a miner have an agreement where you are an agent of theirs?   If not then it wouldn't matter where you sell your mined coins.

FinCEN's guidance is pretty clear.  If you convert your mined coins to currency (or value that substitutes as currency) then you are a money transmitter.  It is baffling, but yes -- that very restrictive definition is how they chose to interpret legislation regarding the transmission of money.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Big Time Coin

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:13:04 PM

OK so did you read the OP?  And why are you quoting that guy, there is no such thing as "selling coins to gox".

Mtgox holds customer accounts like a bank, where you can deposit your bitcoins or your central bank-issued currency.  It also operates an order brokering service.  It will be complying in the near future with MST/MSB laws through partnership with CoinLab in the U.S.

Therefore, in theory there is no reason for FinCEN to demand you, the miner, to be separately registered.  Because you are not selling your coins for central bank currency. 

MtGox/CoinLab is selling your coins for you, after verifying your identity, to someone who has also been verified by them, for funds that Gox/Coinlab is holding for them.  And they are supposed to be reporting the suspicious activities and currency transactions.  So that is what OP is talking about with his phone call.

- Peter Gabriel
sebastian

Activity: 129
Merit: 118

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:29:48 AM

what the OP means, is that if you go to <someone> and buys coins, and then use these coins to buy goods and services - thats OK without FinCEN reg, regardless of the <someone>'s FinCEN reg status.
If you go to <someone> and buy coin, save then, and the sell them again to <someone>, you are trading in speculative purpose and its OK without FinCEN reg - as long as <someone> is FinCEN registred.

However if you mine X coins, and then sell them to MtGox, you need a FinCEN reg.
And if you sell your stereo for X bitcoins, and then sell to MtGox, you also need a FinCEN reg.

Bitcoins are fungible, so FinCEN does not care if you take your 10 mined bitcoins and sell back to MtGox when you have bougt 10 bitcoins from MtGox.
However, you are allowed to mine X bitcoins and purchase good/services for that, except services that can be expressed in real currency, like store gift cards, prepaid cards, mobile top-ups and such.

What FinCEN cares about, is that you DONT sell more bitcoins for real currency than you buy for real currency!

So in short:
If you have goods/services to sell, you are allowed to do that. The Bitcoins for those goods/services may NOT be exchanged to real currency or any good/service that can be expressed in real currency.

If you have Money, you are allowed to buy bitcoins for that Money by anyone. That bitcoins may only be sold to the same person/entity as long as the person has FinCEN registration. Only purchasing bitcoins does not require FinCEN reg at all.

If you have Bitcoins, you are allowed to buy any goods/services for this - EXCEPT goods/services that can be expressed in real currency. In this category, is present, but NOT limited to:
-Store gift cards
-Game cards, Wii Points cards, such*
-Prepaid VISA cards
-Mobile Top-ups*
-Gold, Silver, Oil, and other materials that can be expressed in real currency
-Bonds/shares
-Currency valid in any country
-Discount coupons expressed in a fixed value. (For example, a coupon that gives 1$ off a burger king burger may not be bought with bitcoin without FinCEN reg, but a coupon that gives 10% off is allowed)

* (Only if these are expressed in a currency. A mobile top-up that gives free calls and internet for 30 Days is OK to buy. Same with a game card that gives item X, that does not have a set store price. But a mobile topup for 10$ = forbidden. A game card that gives 50$ ingame store = forbidden.)

If you have Bitcoins, you are also allowed to sell them to a FinCEN registred entity, but ONLY if you bought the bitcoins from the EXACT same entity. However, since bitcoins are fungible, it does not matter which coins (eg which outputs) you use.
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:10:05 AM

I talked to Anthony from FinCEN again for further clarifications on our discussion.

It's not so much whether the other party is registered by FinCEN but it's what you are doing with the coins that matters. Basically, if you're only buying/selling coins for speculative, investment purposes then you are a user and don't need to register. That could include buying/selling from another person directly, or buying/selling physical casascius or virtual coins on ebay. If you do the ability to show that it is only for investment purposes, and use as a "user" would be on you if there were any questions.

If you're doing this as part of a business (which includes mining coins probably, since mining leads to profits of income), then you would need to register. Some points about registering, though:

-You CAN, in fact, be your own compliance officer. He said that many business owners do just that.
-Was pointed to the following page: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=8540ec934b849dc3f899a9454b6f32d4&n=31y3.1.6.1.6&r=PART&ty=HTML

He explained that for the most part, the only things that need to be reported are suspicious transactions, and you can search the web for examples of sample anti-money laundering programs. I asked what forms of identification we needed to collect from those we did business with, he replied that I should read the regulations but in general, MSB don't have the same guidelines, as say, banks do. My interpretation of the guidelines found at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=b99714739ce703375951af7f060e38ef&rgn=div8&view=text&node=31:3.1.6.1.2.3.3.7&idno=31 is that you only need to verify the identity of the person when the amounts exceed certain thresholds.

I technically am registered as a sole proprietor, so I might or might not register. It honestly doesn't seem to be a big deal after actually talking through it and reading the stuff. I do not know, however, how the state level will impact it as of now.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 01:55:57 AM

I wish we could have a binding legal opinion from a higher court on that, so we know exactly which bitcoin users *should be* immune from prosecution and which aren't. You can literally be prosecuted for anything, and need a factual finding of innocence at the end of malicious prosecutions that are dismissed with prejudice.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:06:31 AM

Interesting.

Seems like if I'm mining coins for a speculative purpose, I don't need to register.  Sounds good to me!

Thanks for posting the details of these phone conversations, btw.
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:17:53 AM

No problem. I don't know, however, that "mining for speculative purposes" is an actual thing, he is more talking about investing money into virtual currency, rather than creating it. IMO mining is a business activity. Should I ask?

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:35:49 AM

But are bitcoins really ever created, past the first time the network got online? The way i see it Satoshi Nakamoto is the only person (or group) in the world to have ever created bitcoins, all 21billion of them...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Big Time Coin

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:37:17 AM

That's about as clear as mud as applied to mtgox.  How are you supposed to identify the counter-party in a automatic trading system where mtgox acts as the order book, broker, and account administrator for all trades.  And trades are filled from multiple counter-parties with different order sizes and no method exists to pre-screen the people you are going to be matched to.  Huh Impossible.

The deeper you try to understand the FinCEN guidance, the more you realize it makes no sense as applied to bitcoin.  It only makes sense when applied to centralized virtual currencies.

Registering as an MSB for "administrating" a decentralized  currency is ridiculous.  There is no administrator of a decentralized currency.  Hence the term "decentralized".  It's all rather frustrating from a standpoint of a law-abiding citizen who wants to comply, but cannot because the regulators propose nonsense regulations.  They are obviously just making things up as they go along with the idea that helping bitcoin succeed is not the goal, but trying to make it fail isn't the goal either, just leave it murky at best for a while.

- Peter Gabriel
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 05:49:03 AM

They are obviously just making things up as they go along

Or maybe they were asked to help form the chokepoint.  With a list of everyone who has control of hashing capacity (since mining pools and solo miners are the ones who control what transactions go in the blockchain), the next step is to force them to comply with "later guidance", such as KYC on each party submitting a transaction.  Like .. no more P2P, if you want a transaction through one of these "licensed" miners, you connect to them directly.   And then Bitcoin is toast.  Muahahahahaha!!!

I'm probably seeing more to it than exists, but this is one possible direction.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 05:59:19 AM

If you register you invite regulation, and audits.  Just saying. 

Thats why gun rights people are against registering the fire arms, cause then they know who to demand they be turned in when they later ban them.

When it comes time to attack bitcoin they know who to tell to stop bitcoining.  Just saying.  You register, you disclosed your usage, then a cease and desist letter will come in a year or two.  Who knows?

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:03:09 PM

Update 4/2/2013

From FinCEN's perspective, if you mine coins and sell them, you would be considered an administrator.

Anthony is checking with his colleagues as to how you would go about trading on sites such as MtGOX if you decide to register as a business rather than a user.

Thats why gun rights people are against registering the fire arms, cause then they know who to demand they be turned in when they later ban them.

When it comes time to attack bitcoin they know who to tell to stop bitcoining.  Just saying.  You register, you disclosed your usage, then a cease and desist letter will come in a year or two.  Who knows?

FinCEN probably does not care about bitcoin at all. They just care about using bitcoin to launder money.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:28:03 PM

"Oh, my old .22 rifle?  Yeah, I sold that at a yard sale years ago."
Dr-Rockso

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:27:27 AM

I saw this link in another thread in the forum but believe it applies to this one.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=163

"Is a “miner” of bitcoin, a person who receives “new” bitcoin in exchange for his computing efforts, considered a “creator” under the guidance? A person who obtains bitcoin by his own manufacturing effort is not differentiated from an ordinary “user” under the guidance, and informal communications from regulatory sources indicate that it is unlikely the guidance intended to consider every “miner” a “creator”. This is confusing because in the bitcoin community, a successful miner might be thought of as creating new coin."

Take it for what you will after reading the blog entry, however it seems like a pragmatic interpretation of the FinCEN statement.  I for one generally approach legal issues a bit cautiously, however am a small miner with no intention of making a business about it. I just want to understand how to cover my bases, without unnecessarily "poking the bear", which is just bad practice in general. Cheesy

jubalix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 06:58:43 AM

I'm sure "Anthony's" view will stand up in the Supreme Court, and influence the Parliament and statutory agencies to make laws

Admitted Practicing Lawyer::BTC/Crypto Specialist. B.Engineering/B.Laws

https://www.binance.com/?ref=10062065
Dr-Rockso

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:51:38 PM

I'm sure "Anthony's" view will stand up in the Supreme Court, and influence the Parliament and statutory agencies to make laws

The all powerful blog. It's free speech, which is worth nothing, except a possible momentary distraction from the mundane. Your sarcasm is justified.

Unfortunately, just like with a great many things, the only thing that may motivate our illustrious governments, and people creating all of these wonderful laws is $$$.
kalinka (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:09:06 PM

Update 4/3/2013

Anthony had this to clarify after checking with his colleagues:

An exchanger is a person engaged as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency. An administrator is a person engaged as a business in issuing (putting into circulation) a virtual currency , and who has the authority to redeem (to withdraw from circulation) such virtual currency.

SO

Even if you obtain the bitcoins as part of a business, if you are not in the "business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency" and are just selling coins obtained from a user standpoint, including from a business such as sale of items, etc, then that does not require you to register just because you exchange for USD later.

I think this latest clarification will make a great number of users of bitcoin not needing to register. However, if miners are still required to register, I still don't know how transacting with sites such as mtgox will work.

ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:53:16 PM

Quote from: Anthony the Fincen guy
An administrator is a person engaged as a business in issuing (putting into circulation) a virtual currency , and who has the authority to redeem (to withdraw from circulation) such virtual currency.

Kind of comes down to how serious they are about that bolded "and". Miners can't withdraw coins from circulation, so maybe that excludes them from the "Administrator" label.

Big Time Coin

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:15:20 PM

Registration requirements for miners or mining pools would break de-centralization by barring all but the largest miners from operating legally.  This de-centralization and distribution of mining is a core feature of bitcoin, it is a critical security feature, so any attempt to regulate miners by imposing registration requirements is an attack on a core feature of bitcoin and the security of the bitcoin network.

If you are having a dialogue with a regulatory agency on this point, try to make them aware of this.

- Peter Gabriel
justusranvier
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:17:38 PM

Registration requirements for miners or mining pools would break de-centralization by barring all but the largest miners from operating legally.  This de-centralization and distribution of mining is a core feature of bitcoin, it is a critical security feature, so any attempt to regulate miners by imposing registration requirements is an attack on a core feature of bitcoin and the security of the bitcoin network.
If it's too bad the miners would simply operate in other countries.
If you are having a dialogue with a regulatory agency on this point, try to make them aware of this.
Why would you assume that's not their goal?
Big Time Coin

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Because most transactions in bitcoin are USD transactions and most bitcoins are owned by americans and US companies will benefit most from its success, like the internet, so they should try not to attack it but rather let it thrive because that is what is best for America.

- Peter Gabriel
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:02:45 PM

Because most transactions in bitcoin are USD transactions and most bitcoins are owned by americans and US companies will benefit most from its success, like the internet, so they should try not to attack it but rather let it thrive because that is what is best for America.
That's a valid point.

Also, not everyone in government is evil.  Most of them are just regular people working a day job to get by.  They might listen to what you have to say and seriously consider it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: