Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:00:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SGMiner on XBOX One  (Read 2572 times)
LugLoper (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:27:29 PM

Ok... So I just got a XBOX One  Shocked Shocked  My question is... how do I get SGMiner (esp the lbry kernel version) onto the XBOX

The XBOX's GPU is PERFECT for mining lbry credits! BUT I'll need the appropriate software first... Help me BitcoinTalk! you're my only hope Grin Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Giftcardtrades

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 02:34:20 PM

I am curious about this also

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
PovertyByte

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 05:23:56 PM

My first reaction is this would be a troll thread, but being real consoles do have very similar parts. I remember when the PS3 was new people were talking about hacking it into a computer because of the CPU it has, although severe lack of RAM in that console generation.
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 05:26:41 PM

Yeah, it could have been a good idea to run a miner on an Xbox, if you could have any other OS installed in there.
gghost

Activity: 36
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 06:03:35 PM

The PS3 used to be able to be used for Folding@home applications. In theory the same could be done using any mining program. I believe support for it was discontinued though for unknown reasons. I'm pretty sure support was blocked on Sony's end.

The thread should be SGMiner on PS4 though. The XBOX One is powered by a potato by comparison Wink Both consoles are powered by AMD GPU's but PS4 GPU is 50% faster. Even more interesting would be mining using the PS4.5 and XBOX Scorpio, the former of which is using a GPU similar to the RX 470/480.

*Begin console wars trolling thread here*

Anyone with more info on viability of mining on next gen consoles?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 10, 2016, 09:39:38 PM

XBox 1 CPU is basically a varient AMD A10 - heavier on the GPU side, lighter on the CPU cores.
The issue is getting OS support on it - I THINK there's a LINUX version for that machine, if it's a 64-bit version it SHOULD work but you'll have to compile specifically for it from source code and might have "fun" getting required libraries installed.

PS4 is essentially the SAME story.

The only significant difference between the two is that one of them uses GDDR5 for ram, the other uses GDDR3.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
cryptosize

Activity: 1596
Merit: 288

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:01:41 PM

XBOX ONE X is Polaris-based (a bit faster than RX 580).

The thing is, it only runs signed binaries and there's no UWP app on the Microsoft store for CryptoNight mining... it's a shame, since it's a very efficient & quiet machine. 175 watts max with vapor chamber cooling.

I don't even know if there are any hacking/homebrew attempts... 4+ years have passed and PS4/Xbone are still not hacked.
Dlikrot

Activity: 227
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:07:02 PM

I have a way of getting xbox one x for cheap, legally. I just do what I know best; buy and pawn games (specific superbargains) at gamestop. Sometimes I get more then four times my investment.. I could actually have use for this (and so could you if you carefully buy and pawn the correct games).

To btc or not to btc - that is the electrum
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:25:32 PM

I swear I read something about someone looking for PS4 Pro with firmware less than 4.05 because you can run homebrew or something?
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 11:32:12 PM

The thing is, it only runs signed binaries and there's no UWP app on the Microsoft store for CryptoNight mining... it's a shame, since it's a very efficient & quiet machine. 175 watts max with vapor chamber cooling.

I don't even know if there are any hacking/homebrew attempts... 4+ years have passed and PS4/Xbone are still not hacked.

There are actual miners on the xbox store if anyone didnt know. Or there WERE, seems they took them down for xbox to fix them.

Electronium:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/a-calc-etn-miner/9mst8s4l0pbq

Monero:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/a-calc-xmr-monero-miner/9nj99pmdx6sc

The whole issue would be getting access to the GPU or even publishing an app that makes full use of the GPU, xbox one x is really, really, locked down. I highly doubt they want people mining, afterall, microsoft will have to deal with any issues if the consols break under warranty.

I cant imagine either Sony or MS would condone a real useful crypto mining app, though it would be genuinely useful on the Xbox One X as it actually has a higher end GPU. Then again they had folding@home running on the PS3 so its possible they might allow something like this eventually.

I can only imagine what would happen if half of the xbox one and xbox one X's in the country started mining with a nice hash type app. Suddenly you cant find any old original xboxs for under $100 anymore lol People would suddenly have warehouses full of OG xbox ones.
Juggar

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:03:36 AM

This is interesting. In theory how much hardware of xbox/ps4 is capable of mining compared it with curent gen gpus.

An Xbox One X has an RX series GPU thats slightly better than an RX 580. Basically, whatever an RX 580 can do, of course your not going to be able to flash VBIOS or do anything besides run it at whatever its stock speed is.

So basically, whatever a stock RX 580 with no OC is capable of.

MadZ

Activity: 908
Merit: 657

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:05:37 AM

There are actual miners on the xbox store if anyone didnt know. Or there WERE, seems they took them down for xbox to fix them.

Electronium:

Monero:

The whole issue would be getting access to the GPU or even publishing an app that makes full use of the GPU, xbox one x is really, really, locked down. I highly doubt they want people mining, afterall, microsoft will have to deal with any issues if the consols break under warranty.

I cant imagine either Sony or MS would condone a real useful crypto mining app, though it would be genuinely useful on the Xbox One X as it actually has a higher end GPU. Then again they had folding@home running on the PS3 so its possible they might allow something like this eventually.

I can only imagine what would happen if half of the xbox one and xbox one X's in the country started mining with a nice hash type app. Suddenly you cant find any old original xboxs for under $100 anymore lol People would suddenly have warehouses full of OG xbox ones.

Isn't that just the Microsoft Store? It would be interesting to see, but there are plenty of apps on in the MS store that aren't run on an Xbox. Having seen how the older Xbox models perform with the newer gen of games, I find it hard to believe they would be worth mining with. As it is, I don't think you can really find them for under $100 even now, and thats without any mining component.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:06:27 AM

Seems like a cool project for someone with a lot of time on their hands that didn't care about profiting from it.  That leaves me extremely uninterested.  Last I checked, there wasn't even a way to play pirated games on a Xbox One.  That's why I haven't bought one yet ... Lol.  That's about the only thing hackable on a xbox 360, the original Xbox from 2001 was the one that really allowed you to do some cool 3rd party software shit with.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
Juggar

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:07:01 AM

Electronium:

Monero:

Isn't that just the Microsoft Store? It would be interesting to see, but there are plenty of apps on in the MS store that aren't run on an Xbox. Having seen how the older Xbox models perform with the newer gen of games, I find it hard to believe they would be worth mining with. As it is, I don't think you can really find them for under $100 even now, and thats without any mining component.

Check the reviews on the electronium miner, it was posted in the elec reddit when it was working. It did work at one point on xbox.
Juggar

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:19:26 AM

This is interesting. In theory how much hardware of xbox/ps4 is capable of mining compared it with curent gen gpus.

An Xbox One X has an RX series GPU thats slightly better than an RX 580. Basically, whatever an RX 580 can do, of course your not going to be able to flash VBIOS or do anything besides run it at whatever its stock speed is.

So basically, whatever a stock RX 580 with no OC is capable of.

Damn i was expecting more, so if he was capable for mining that will be about 25-30 mh/s right?

How are you expecting more? Its really quite powerful considering the price of the xbox one X. 2560 core RX GPU is pretty powerful, better than any Desktop RX card.

It will do slightly more than a stock RX 580 fresh out of the box will do, perhaps a slight bit more as it does have 2560 cores vs 2304 of the RX 580.

I dunno, Id guess 25. Hard to say.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:27:16 AM

The iGPU in the XBox is going to perform closer to a RX 560 than a RX 580.
It is going to have serious thermal limits that won't let it clock as high as a discrete GPU with the same number of cores when under heavy load, so even though it has a similar core count to the 580 it's NOT going to be close on performance.
They may also be limited on how much memory they can access - the A10 series has a 1 GB limit on it's iGPU to date, even though some BIOS claim they can work with 2 they just CRASH if you try.

For perspective - my A10-7860k and A10-7890k both have 512 cores running at about 800 Mhz - which is the SAME specs at the old HD 7750 - but for almost EVERY algorithm I've tried on both the HD 7750 blows those iGPUs out of the water on hashrate.
 Part of that is that the A10s are using GDDR3, but it's not enough to account for ALL of the difference.

The ONLY thing I've run on those iGPUs that's close in performance to the HD 7750 is the Dnet client - but that client uses almost NO ram, so it's pretty much 100% core count/clock limited.

In fairness, you SHOULD be able to mine on the things if you can get the software installed - just don't expect ANYWHERE NEAR RX 570 level hashrates, and I have some doubt they'll even match the RX 560 on a sustained basis.

Also keep in mind when talking ETH that ETH is very much memory limited, more cores does NOT always help much if at all on hashrate.
 GTX 1070 has 1920 cores yet OUTMINES any Polaris based card AND the GTX 1080 on ETH despite the RX 470/480/570/580 and GTX 1080 all having more than 2000 cores.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 12:29:02 AM

I have seen LINUX for the PS/4 mentioned on a few websites as a "done deal".
 Not sure on the XBox One though.

cryptosize

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 03:06:21 AM

The whole issue would be getting access to the GPU or even publishing an app that makes full use of the GPU, xbox one x is really, really, locked down.
With the latest SDK version (Win10 Fall Creators update) devs can make UWP apps that have access to 9GB RAM (5GB for OG models), 6 exclusives Jaguar cores (probably not worth much compared to GPGPU) and full access to the iGPU via DX12/Compute Shaders.

Are there any UWP devs on this forum to give us more insight?

There's huge untapped potential here...

I highly doubt they want people mining, afterall, microsoft will have to deal with any issues if the consols break under warranty.
If that's an issue, they can offer you an option to cancel the warranty and start mining at your own risk (Sony didn't do this for the PS3/Folding@Home, even though OG PS3 was a ticking bomb due to YLOD).

If MS allowed it, it would give them a serious advantage over the competition. They need to find a way to make XBOX an enticing platform (considering the lack of exclusive games).

Imagine if MS issued their own coin and allowed you to buy stuff from the store with it? Just an idea. It would be revolutionary in the console space.

Old OG Xbones use dated 28nm lithography and GCN 1.0 GPUs with only 1.31TF of compute power (125 watts).

XBOX ONE X is a much better value proposition (175 watts, 16nm FinFET lithography, 6 Teraflops).

It would also be a nice alternative, considering the fact that you cannot find cards like RX 580, Vega 56, 1070 Ti in the market anymore, while there is an abundance of XB1X consoles for less than 500$/€. Doesn't sound like a bad deal, since Vega GPUs can cost up to €1000 these days.

The iGPU in the XBox is going to perform closer to a RX 560 than a RX 580.
It is going to have serious thermal limits that won't let it clock as high as a discrete GPU with the same number of cores when under heavy load, so even though it has a similar core count to the 580 it's NOT going to be close on performance.
There are no thermal limits, it's meant to deliver 6TF of power with no issues thanks to vapor chamber cooling:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review_1

They may also be limited on how much memory they can access - the A10 series has a 1 GB limit on it's iGPU to date, even though some BIOS claim they can work with 2 they just CRASH if you try.
Don't compare it to PC APUs, console APUs are semi-custom and they support technologies like HSA/hUMA (unified address space for the CPU/GPU).

Games/apps have access to 5GB DDR3 + 32MB eSRAM (OG) or 9GB of GDDR5 RAM (Scorpio).

For perspective - my A10-7860k and A10-7890k both have 512 cores running at about 800 Mhz - which is the SAME specs at the old HD 7750 - but for almost EVERY algorithm I've tried on both the HD 7750 blows those iGPUs out of the water on hashrate.
 Part of that is that the A10s are using GDDR3, but it's not enough to account for ALL of the difference.
I think you meant DDR3. GDDR3 is the predecessor of GDDR5 (graphics-oriented memory).
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 08:47:25 PM

The limit is that the iGPU won't have enough power available to run at full speed consistantly - keep in mind that the actual RX 580 can soak 175 watts or more ITSELF when mining ETH, the iGPU is NOT going to have that full power available - there are other things in the box to run, and there is a lot of question as to IF you can undervolt an iGPU in a console at all to allow it to run at lower power draw.

Vapor chamber cooling does not address the power limits - that addresses COOLING issues, and given the usage of vapor chamber cooling on the GTX 1080 ti FE cards AND HOW POORLY IT PERFORMS COMPARED TO ANY 3'D PARTY SOLUTION FOR COOLING I wouldn't be bragging on the stuff.

Quoting TeraFlop figures is MEANINGLESS. Mining is 100% Integer operations, FP operations don't mine.

Console APUs are based QUITE CLOSELY on the same-generation "general purpose" APUs. It's going to be interesting to see how the "Bristol Ridge" series compares to the APU in the Xbox One X.
 "SEMI-custom"  after all.

cryptosize

View Profile
January 11, 2018, 01:33:47 AM

The limit is that the iGPU won't have enough power available to run at full speed consistantly - keep in mind that the actual RX 580 can soak 175 watts or more ITSELF when mining ETH, the iGPU is NOT going to have that full power available - there are other things in the box to run, and there is a lot of question as to IF you can undervolt an iGPU in a console at all to allow it to run at lower power draw.

Vapor chamber cooling does not address the power limits - that addresses COOLING issues, and given the usage of vapor chamber cooling on the GTX 1080 ti FE cards AND HOW POORLY IT PERFORMS COMPARED TO ANY 3'D PARTY SOLUTION FOR COOLING I wouldn't be bragging on the stuff.

Quoting TeraFlop figures is MEANINGLESS. Mining is 100% Integer operations, FP operations don't mine.

Console APUs are based QUITE CLOSELY on the same-generation "general purpose" APUs. It's going to be interesting to see how the "Bristol Ridge" series compares to the APU in the Xbox One X.
 "SEMI-custom"  after all.
I guess you didn't read the links, since you mentioned "lack of undervolting" (which is not true):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review_1

XB1X has a specially tuned RX 580 variant, which is more efficient (read what Hovis method is) than the discrete one -> less power consumption.

Do some research first at least... this console is meant to deliver max performance at all times to render at 4K resolutions, not fluctuating at all (6TF is guaranteed).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: