Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:44:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo Mining with own Full Node - Some Questions  (Read 7155 times)
Master One (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 09:35:19 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2015, 10:10:57 AM by Master One

I am playing with the idea of having a Bitcoin full node running 24/7 on an Ubuntu server in a data center, with one Antminer S7 running at home in my basement, connected to that full node by ADSL (with dynamic IP) for mining solo.

1. Does the full node running bitcoind require a stratum proxy (like bfgminer) for the S7 to be able to connect? If a stratum proxy is not required, is it of any advantage or disadvantage? I will not be mining with more than one miner in the foreseeable future.

2. For the bitcoind config, is it just rpcallowip=127.0.0.1 when using a stratum proxy, since the miner does not need RPC access that way, but the stratum proxy does?

3.The release note for Bitcoin Core mentioned -rpcallowip=::/0 (still dangerous!), I guess this is a security concern in case of an unencrypted connection?

4. Would it be a bad idea to use the full node's wallet to store my bitcoins, and is it possible to use bitcoin-qt to remotely access the wallet on the full node? If bitcoin-qt can remote access the full node's wallet, is it done by RPC?

5. Is there any point in using the Bitcoin Relay Network in this setup?

Concerning the security of the the above, the computer running bitcoin-qt would be able to connected to that remote server using OpenVPN, the S7 would be connected directly to the ADSL modem and thus communicate with the full node unencrypted using stratum (I don't think my AVM Fritz!Box can do OpenVPN).

Please do not go OT by starting a discussion about the usefulness of solo mining, or try to lure me into a pool, I know that the probability of hitting a block is extremely low, but starting mining in a pool now does not make sense either, since I will never be able to ROI anyway, especially with 0.12 €/kWh. The point here is to get a full node operational and a miner connected.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 10:45:05 AM

I am playing with the idea of having a Bitcoin full node running 24/7 on an Ubuntu server in a data center, with one Antminer S7 running at home in my basement, connected to that full node by ADSL (with dynamic IP) for mining solo.
Why not just run your full node in your basemet as well?

1. Does the full node running bitcoind require a stratum proxy
No, Bitcoin-qt uses the GBT protocol which is fine for one miner connecting to it.

3.The release note for Bitcoin Core mentioned -rpcallowip=::/0 (still dangerous!), I guess this is a security concern in case of an unencrypted connection?
I think that argument allows ANY IP address to connect to your Bitcoin-qt, which is bad.  Has nothing to do with encryption.  I think the encryption would be to obscure your RPC user id and password, which would be a good idea.

4. Would it be a bad idea to use the full node's wallet to store my bitcoins, and is it possible to use bitcoin-qt to remotely access the wallet on the full node? If bitcoin-qt can remote access the full node's wallet, is it done by RPC?
With your Bitcoin-qt publicly available you probably wouldn't want it to have a wallet.  Have another Bitcoin-qt behind your firewall on your home network with your wallet that has your coins.

5. Is there any point in using the Bitcoin Relay Network in this setup?
Only if you find a block

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
jacobmayes94

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:37:10 AM

Use the relay network, I highly recommend it if you were to find one it ensures it propagates quickly!

Jacob
Master One (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Wanna buy a Tesla? Visit TeslaBargain.com first!

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 03:11:47 PM

@os2sam, well my ADSL with bandwidths of down 12285 kBit/s and up only 940 kBit/s is pretty bad, the info page for running a full node tells to have at least 400 kBit/s upload bandwidth available, which would not leave much room for anything else.

I just took a quick look at GBT, AntMiners' cgminer certainly supports it, but how to configure a S7 to use it? And is there any advantage or disadvantage in using getblocktemplate instead of stratum? Does it require RPC and is it safe to use over an unencrypted Internet connection?

About rpcallowip=::/0, yes it allows any IP address (new format instead of asterisk), but it should not be any good without rpcuser and rpcpassword, but I guess RPC data is generally transmitted without encryption, so that's only something for use with a VPN tunnel then.

About using the full node's wallet, the official full node info page tells:

It’s possible and safe to run a full node to support the network and use its wallet to store your bitcoins, but you must take the same precautions you would when using any Bitcoin wallet.

So it should not make any difference, if it's a headless bitcoind as a full node running on a dedicated server in a data center, or bitcoin-qt on your own computer, but the question remains: Can a local bitcoin-qt be used as GUI to connect to a remote instance of bitcoind using the -connect=<ip> argument?

I am sorry if the answers to these questions should be obvious, but I do not have anything for this endeavor running or available yet, I'm just trying to figure out how it all can fit together beforehand.

Stoneboy

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 05:01:06 PM

Read this first http://blockgen.net/blog/novices-guide-to-setting-up-a-crypto-currency-mining-pool/ it works for me after playing with  A month to figure it out for solo mining bitcoins.

Good luck!!, and if you need any help you can find me here. Wink
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 12:36:23 AM

@os2sam, well my ADSL with bandwidths of down 12285 kBit/s and up only 940 kBit/s is pretty bad, the info page for running a full node tells to have at least 400 kBit/s upload bandwidth available, which would not leave much room for anything else.
Have you considered using a solo pool such as solo.ckpool.org?  That way you don't have to mess with an external full node if you don't want to.

I just took a quick look at GBT, AntMiners' cgminer certainly supports it, but how to configure a S7 to use it? And is there any advantage or disadvantage in using getblocktemplate instead of stratum? Does it require RPC and is it safe to use over an unencrypted Internet connection?
Just point your miner at http://nodeIP:8332 or whichever port you use.

About rpcallowip=::/0, yes it allows any IP address (new format instead of asterisk), but it should not be any good without rpcuser and rpcpassword, but I guess RPC data is generally transmitted without encryption, so that's only something for use with a VPN tunnel then.
Allowing any IP access to your node allows any hacker a socket to your system which just makes their job easier.  So just allow the IP address of your miner.

As for encryption, I'm assuming it would encrypt your RPC user id and password.  I wouldn't want that in clear text.

About using the full node's wallet, the official full node info page tells:

It’s possible and safe to run a full node to support the network and use its wallet to store your bitcoins, but you must take the same precautions you would when using any Bitcoin wallet.

So it should not make any difference, if it's a headless bitcoind as a full node running on a dedicated server in a data center, or bitcoin-qt on your own computer, but the question remains: Can a local bitcoin-qt be used as GUI to connect to a remote instance of bitcoind using the -connect=<ip> argument?

I am sorry if the answers to these questions should be obvious, but I do not have anything for this endeavor running or available yet, I'm just trying to figure out how it all can fit together beforehand.

I wouldn't put my wallet on a public facing internet connection.  Most of us have a full node running behind our NAT and firewall.  You can solomine to any bitcoin address you have control of not just the one on your public facing node.

Look at the command line options in Bitcoin-qt if you haven't already.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:20:11 AM

If you are going to run a full node, ch3eck if you have any constraints on your total bandwidth consumption for a month from your ISP. Just the churn of the blockchain will push you past 120 GBytes/month, and climbing each month.
Deepcleen

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 12:33:10 PM

If you are going to run a full node, ch3eck if you have any constraints on your total bandwidth consumption for a month from your ISP. Just the churn of the blockchain will push you past 120 GBytes/month, and climbing each month.

If I do not mine, but just leave the core client on, will I have the same bandwidth/data consumption?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 01:06:04 PM

If I do not mine, but just leave the core client on, will I have the same bandwidth/data consumption?

Yes, bitcoin core even if its not used for mining will relay transactions and blocks (unless you run a pruned version) which is the main reason for the traffic.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bitmine49

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 04:07:10 PM

Did you ever get this setup correctly? I too have S7 w/ Ubuntu core.

If so can I see a copy of your conf file (all personal info edited out)

maybe a quick 1,2,3 list of what you had to get done to get this going?

My node is online and working, but my miner cannot connect to it. (I have all the networking stuff squared away)

Thanks -
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 06:04:21 PM

Did you ever get this setup correctly? I too have S7 w/ Ubuntu core.

If so can I see a copy of your conf file (all personal info edited out)

maybe a quick 1,2,3 list of what you had to get done to get this going?

My node is online and working, but my miner cannot connect to it. (I have all the networking stuff squared away)

Thanks -

You did start the node in server mode, correct?  Also it needs the rpc user id and password that your mining software needs to use.  Check your firewall on your node machine to make sure it is allowing connections into it on port tcp 8332

ihavearedcouch

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2016, 02:57:43 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2016, 07:20:21 PM by ihavearedcouch

Had a couple questions regarding solo mining with a full node in my network..
I realized this could be considered "hijacking" the topic, but then again it isn't because its literally the only topic with "solo mining full node."

Situation:
static ip bitcoin-core full node on OS raspbian. static ip local-network separate computer with peripheral ASIC block erupter usb on OS win7.

Questions:
What are the configurations for the bitcoin.conf file?
so far what I have is: server=1, rpcuser=[username], rpcpassword=[password], rpcport=8332
Can I use tunneling over SSH via putty to have the miner talk to the bitcoin core node? (to have the miner just connect to localhost:8332)
When starting up BFGMiner with "bfgminer -o http://[IP]:8332 -u [username] -p [password]" how does the miner know where to deposit the bitcoins after finding the right hash?

Intention:
Pretty much I'm trying out a scenario where in a perfect society no one would have an excess of processing power and every full node would try uniformly (within reason) to find the right hash, for the entire P2P network.
This is in foreshadowing attempt that if money indeed moves to become bitcoin, the government might attempt to control the money by shutting down the internet or forcing ISPs to severely limit "experimental funding methods," individuals might hope to say "fuck it" and build their own adhoc wifi net (would work really great in cities) with full nodes and personalized miners.
The quickest way to shut down the internet and/or bitcoin is with control of electricity. My guess is the government might attempt to shut down large miners from "their power grid" for these "experimental funding methods" and as a result the mining difficulty will drop and normal people here and there can mine personally at home, at their discretion.

I'm thinking outside the box with mining. I feel like there are a lot of signals pointing to a final economy-manipulation by the elite which will result in either ww3, government-corruption spill, financial collapse, or monumental environmental destruction which will turn everything upside down but bitcoin. which is why I'm trying to think outside the box with keeping bitcoin alive.
Hopefully everything turns out okay, safe, good, loving, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: