Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:21:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Settle down  (Read 3017 times)
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:38:57 AM

Excellent post, xtapol. I couldn't agree more.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xtapol (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:07:01 AM

The whole software is open source(easy to copy and tweak), there´s a lot of heat on the current implementation, on the other hand it has a fairly large and dedicated userbase.
But Firefox/IE did not invent the browser, Google did not invent the concept of a search engine, both used existing ideas and improved on them. But that´s not what you are saying in the quote I critizised. Hence I stated that I believe it to be misleading.

Bitcoin isn't anything really new either though - it's a new application of existing concepts. And I guess I don't see competition as particularly threatening to Bitcoin. If Bitcoin takes even 10% of the global currency market current investors will make an outrageous killing. It can coexist with other currencies, if the concept is sound. A monopoly isn't the only way to win, and anything that is good for cryptocurrencies in general is good for Bitcoin.

A new, "better" currency isn't going to displace Bitcoin overnight. It too will have to bootstrap an economy before it's viable. That's the hard part, and Bitcoin is already progressing towards it. And in the event a competitor comes along, you can always trade your Bitcoins for it.

Don't forget that Bitcoin has no central point of failure. It can't "fail" in the same way a company can just because a competitor comes along. It can only fade out over time, giving you plenty of time to react.

Now again, all of this assumes that Bitcoin is technically sound. It can certainly fail in other ways.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:40:48 PM

A new, "better" currency isn't going to displace Bitcoin overnight. It too will have to bootstrap an economy before it's viable. That's the hard part, and Bitcoin is already progressing towards it. And in the event a competitor comes along, you can always trade your Bitcoins for it.

I'm actually looking forward to Bitcoin competitors.  It's the only way we are going to sort out the questions that constantly come up on the forum like "wouldn't it be better to have a constant rate of coin generation?" or "how can we remove the advantage that early adopters have?" or "why do we have to waste so much electricity?"  These critics need to start writing code and prove that their solution is better by getting more people to adopt it.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: