Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:30:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 433 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [PASC] PascalCoin: Induplicatable NFT  (Read 990664 times)
thedreamer
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 07:24:45 PM

Guesss it's time to find a new CPU mined coin now. Games done for at least a short while. Cheesy

Go Big or Go Home.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TTE

Activity: 120
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 07:25:48 PM

It's just a personal wish but it would be awesome if you could release the GPU miner with an nVidia AND AMD support.
nVidia only hurts many users ^^'

I only have an 7970, but it is still better then contributung nothing.
Because CPU mining is dead now.
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 07:31:08 PM

So, my goals are:
1. Make sure this GPU miner doesn't harm PascalCoin
2. Get a bit of profit from making this
3. After a while, have the GPU miner completely open-source

So I have two options which I think reasonably represent both of those goals:

1. Release a neutered version of the miner (~50% performance or something) closed-source and continue to mine with my faster version, and then release the full version completely open-sourced after a while (10 days?)

2. Continue to mine privately for another two days, and then release the full version completely open-sourced in about 48 hours.

Do these sound reasonable to people? Any preferences?

This depends how long option one would take to produce. If its another day we might as well just wait the two days IMHO.

I could probably release it within an hour.

Is it possible to setup a community run pool using the miner? I think this will strengthen the network and be really beneficial to pascal development.

It would probably require slightly more modifications to PascalCoin and a fair amount of work building a pool around the new 'protocol' used for mining here (swapping headers and nonces/timestamps through files, etc.) would be some work, but it's certainly possible!

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 07:33:16 PM

It's just a personal wish but it would be awesome if you could release the GPU miner with an nVidia AND AMD support.
nVidia only hurts many users ^^'

I only have an 7970, but it is still better then contributung nothing.
Because CPU mining is dead now.

Unfortunately I don't have any modern AMD cards, and my OpenCL is incredibly rusty. However if someone in the community wants to make an OpenCL miner, I'd be happy to help them with any questions they have Smiley

Also once someone makes a functional OpenCL miner it's going to blow NVidia miners out of the water on this coin, so this gives NVidia people a chance to get some coins before OpenCL dominates!

ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 07:34:12 PM

So, my goals are:
1. Make sure this GPU miner doesn't harm PascalCoin
2. Get a bit of profit from making this
3. After a while, have the GPU miner completely open-source

So I have two options which I think reasonably represent both of those goals:

1. Release a neutered version of the miner (~50% performance or something) closed-source and continue to mine with my faster version, and then release the full version completely open-sourced after a while (10 days?)

2. Continue to mine privately for another two days, and then release the full version completely open-sourced in about 48 hours.

Do these sound reasonable to people? Any preferences?

This depends how long option one would take to produce. If its another day we might as well just wait the two days IMHO.

I could probably release it within an hour.

Is it possible to setup a community run pool using the miner? I think this will strengthen the network and be really beneficial to pascal development.

It would probably require slightly more modifications to PascalCoin and a fair amount of work building a pool around the new 'protocol' used for mining here (swapping headers and nonces/timestamps through files, etc.) would be some work, but it's certainly possible!

I would definately support this how long do you think it would take to do? I can also support the development.

Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:21:48 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2016, 01:53:10 PM by Vorksholk

Seems people are fine with the 50% neutered miner for a week, and then full open-source release of the miner, and that's my favorite option since people can start mining today, so that's what we're going to do!

NOTICE: Someone ran a VirusTotal scan which came up with some positive results. I'm trying to figure out why, but to be on the safe side, don't download this until I figure it out! Sad

First thing's first, the download link: https://www.filedropper.com/pascalcudav4 EDIT: Update to v4, new PascalCoin wallet doesn't chew up CPU, GPU miner is now unneutered (2x performance from previous version), memory leak in GPU miner fixed!

Also, the miner is now open-source:
https://github.com/Vorksholk/PascalCoin-CUDA/blob/master/kernel.cu  Cheesy

There are some incredibly important instructions though, since it's not obvious how to use, and there are a lot of caveats to the miner:
1. You must already have PascalCoin installed. If you don't have it, download it from sourceforge here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pascalcoin/. Once it is installed, run the PascalCoinWallet.exe provided in the download.
2. You must be using a 256-bit secp256k1 key. This is the default behavior of the PascalCoin wallet.
3. Your miner name must be exactly 10 characters long. The miner expects that the input is exactly 176 total bytes (which is achieved by using a secp256k1 key and a 10-character name)
4. You must have one (and only one) active mining thread in the PascalCoin wallet. This mining thread is constantly loading solutions from datain.txt and attempting to mine a block with them.
5. You must run the GPU miner from the same directory as PascalCoinWallet.exe. If you run PascalCoinWallet.exe from the extracted PascalCuda.zip file and the PascalCoinCUDA_smXX.exe miner from the same location, it will work.

You can mine with multiple GPUs, however it might take a bit of cleverness. The miner accepts a single argument, a number, which determines which device the miner mines on. However, mining with multiple GPUs to one instance of a PascalCoin wallet will create duplicate work. A future version of the miner could avoid this by allowing each miner to use a different miner name, or something. Work in progress. Probably the easiest way to mine with multiple GPUs is to run separate copies of the PascalCoin wallet under different Windows users (and have each with either a different miner name, or a different private key being used for mining), and use a different GPU for each one.

There are a lot of different versions of the miner, compiled for different compute architectures (3.0 through 6.1). To find out which one your NVidia card supports, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#Version_features_and_specifications

You may find that a version with a lower compute version than your card's compute version performs better for whatever reason. The only restriction is that you can't run a version with a higher compute capability than your card supports.

You will see a folder called 'Benchmarks' with a bunch of .exe files in it. This contains a standard headerout.txt file that will never change (unless you change it) that you can run all of the different smXX versions against to find out which is the fastest on your system. The benchmarker doesn't do full mining, but the performance of the benchmarker should be the same as the regular program. The benchmarker basically uses 'low-difficulty' shares to get a more accurate picture of hashrate. The benchmarker and standard miner are both neutered in the exact same fashion, so the benchmarkers should be accurate indicators of actual mining performance.

You will see that the benchmarker (and occasionally regular miner) will report the same nonce twice or more. This means there is duplicate work, an issue I'm still tracking down in my code.

Each time the actual miner (not the benchmarker) prints out a hash and a "Found nonce: ..." line, it found a solution that would work for a difficulty-20 block (AKA target = 20000000). On average, it would take 2 of these 'shares' to crack a block at a target of 21000000, 16 of these 'shares' to crack a block at a target of 25000000, etc.

Current forum time is October 09, 2016 8-ish PM. I will release the unneutered version and complete source-code sometime before October 16, 2016 8-ish PM.
Released unneutered version about 6 days early.

Also since some people are complaining about this reducing the value of the coin: GPU miners are a natural progression of virtually every PoW cryptocurrency. By not making one, we're leaving the coin completely vulnerable to someone who does (and who could then freeze the network, strand it on a crazy difficulty, constantly fork it, etc.) By having someone like me make a GPU miner and releasing a 50% speed miner within about 5 hours of initial GPU mining and a full-speed miner a week later Edit: a day-ish later, the network is protected against a bad actor making a private GPU miner and harming the network. If anything, having a GPU miner should increase the value of the coin since it will soon be ~20x more secure (the GPU miner is roughly 20x more cost effective than equivalent CPUs). Also, this opens up the potential for a pool to be developed, and for an even faster OpenCL version to be created.

ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:27:21 PM

Seems people are fine with the 50% neutered miner for a week, and then full open-source release of the miner, and that's my favorite option since people can start mining today, so that's what we're going to do!

First thing's first, the download link: http://www.filedropper.com/pascalcuda

There are some incredibly important instructions though, since it's not obvious how to use, and there are a lot of caveats to the miner:
1. You must already have PascalCoin installed. If you don't have it, download it from sourceforge here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pascalcoin/. Once it is installed, run the PascalCoinWallet.exe provided in the download.
2. You must be using a 256-bit secp256k1 key. This is the default behavior of the PascalCoin wallet.
3. Your miner name must be exactly 10 characters long. The miner expects that the input is exactly 176 total bytes (which is achieved by using a secp256k1 key and a 10-character name)
4. You must have one (and only one) active mining thread in the PascalCoin wallet. This mining thread is constantly loading solutions from datain.txt and attempting to mine a block with them.
5. You must run the GPU miner from the same directory as PascalCoinWallet.exe. If you run PascalCoinWallet.exe from the extracted PascalCuda.zip file and the PascalCoinCUDA_smXX.exe miner from the same location, it will work.

You can mine with multiple GPUs, however it might take a bit of cleverness. The miner accepts a single argument, a number, which determines which device the miner mines on. However, mining with multiple GPUs to one instance of a PascalCoin wallet will create duplicate work. A future version of the miner could avoid this by allowing each miner to use a different miner name, or something. Work in progress. Probably the easiest way to mine with multiple GPUs is to run separate copies of the PascalCoin wallet under different Windows users (and have each with either a different miner name, or a different private key being used for mining), and use a different GPU for each one.

There are a lot of different versions of the miner, compiled for different compute architectures (3.0 through 6.1). To find out which one your NVidia card supports, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#Version_features_and_specifications

You may find that a version with a lower compute version than your card's compute version performs better for whatever reason. The only restriction is that you can't run a version with a higher compute capability than your card supports.

You will see a folder called 'Benchmarks' with a bunch of .exe files in it. This contains a standard headerout.txt file that will never change (unless you change it) that you can run all of the different smXX versions against to find out which is the fastest on your system. The benchmarker doesn't do full mining, but the performance of the benchmarker should be the same as the regular program. The benchmarker basically uses 'low-difficulty' shares to get a more accurate picture of hashrate. The benchmarker and standard miner are both neutered in the exact same fashion, so the benchmarkers should be accurate indicators of actual mining performance.

You will see that the benchmarker (and occasionally regular miner) will report the same nonce twice or more. This means there is duplicate work, an issue I'm still tracking down in my code.

Each time the actual miner (not the benchmarker) prints out a hash and a "Found nonce: ..." line, it found a solution that would work for a difficulty-20 block (AKA target = 20000000). On average, it would take 16 of these 'shares' to crack a block at a target of 25000000, or slightly less than 32 of these 'shares' to crack a block at the current target (256E5937).

If you find a way to compromise the neutering of the miner and make it run at full speed, congrats! It's probably not too difficult, and you're more than free to try.

Current forum time is October 09, 2016 8-ish PM. I will release the unneutered version and complete source-code sometime before October 16, 2016 8-ish PM.

Also since some people are complaining about this reducing the value of the coin: GPU miners are a natural progression of virtually every PoW cryptocurrency. By not making one, we're leaving the coin completely vulnerable to someone who does (and who could then freeze the network, strand it on a crazy difficulty, constantly fork it, etc.) By having someone like me make a GPU miner and releasing a 50% speed miner within about 5 hours of initial GPU mining and a full-speed miner a week later, the network is protected against a bad actor making a private GPU miner and harming the network. If anything, having a GPU miner should increase the value of the coin since it will soon be ~20x more secure (the GPU miner is roughly 20x more cost effective than equivalent CPUs). Also, this opens up the potential for a pool to be developed, and for an even faster OpenCL version to be created.

Thanks so much Vorksholk, I would really like to support a pool creation and we can develop other services for pascal from there.

cptfisher

Activity: 649
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 08:30:26 PM

ok stupid me didnt read abt arguments . i tried to issue a /? but no result sooooooooooooooooooooo need to read better stupid idiot... anyway great job first block found !
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:37:36 PM

Each time the actual miner (not the benchmarker) prints out a hash and a "Found nonce: ..." line, it found a solution that would work for a difficulty-20 block (AKA target = 20000000). On average, it would take 16 of these 'shares' to crack a block at a target of 25000000, or slightly less than 32 of these 'shares' to crack a block at the current target (256E5937).

If you find a way to compromise the neutering of the miner and make it run at full speed, congrats! It's probably not too difficult, and you're more than free to try.

Also since some people are complaining about this reducing the value of the coin: GPU miners are a natural progression of virtually every PoW cryptocurrency. By not making one, we're leaving the coin completely vulnerable to someone who does (and who could then freeze the network, strand it on a crazy difficulty, constantly fork it, etc.) By having someone like me make a GPU miner and releasing a 50% speed miner within about 5 hours of initial GPU mining and a full-speed miner a week later, the network is protected against a bad actor making a private GPU miner and harming the network. If anything, having a GPU miner should increase the value of the coin since it will soon be ~20x more secure (the GPU miner is roughly 20x more cost effective than equivalent CPUs). Also, this opens up the potential for a pool to be developed, and for an even faster OpenCL version to be created.

Thanks so much Vorksholk, I would really like to support a pool creation and we can develop other services for pascal from there.

A pool would be awesome! I unfortunately don't have the time to develop a pool myself (at least not for a while, got a bunch of other stuff to work on), but if anyone is interested in developing a pool I'd be more than happy to provide some tips. It basically boils down to this: the current modified PascalCoin wallet shoves out a 176-byte-long chunk of mining data, which is exactly what is hashed to solve a block. The last 4 bytes are the nonce, and the 2nd-to-last-4 bytes are the timestamp (unix epoch). Additionally, somewhere in that jumble is the miner name. Since the nonce is a 4-byte field, it only has 2^32 possible values, which could be exhausted in a few seconds by a fast GPU miner. Updating the timestamp is one way to get around this, but this would still mean you could only mine at about 4.294 GH/s. However, changing the miner name gives you another 10 bytes to fiddle with (2^80), which could be easily expanded to 14 bytes. Going to 18 bytes would require the calculation of an additional SHA256 expansion/compression round for the midstate, but that's no big deal with a miner build to take advantage of midstates anyhow. So a pool would probably have each worker use a different miner name. Your pool would grab the 176 bytes of data from the file, and serve it out to anyone with a miner connected to your pool. The mining software itself would alter the timestamp, nonce, and worker name, but they'd still be mining with the pool's public key. Shares work just like before, except server-side you have to build the block header using the worker name to validate their nonce/timestamp combo. Should be smooth sailing from there.

So it boils down to:
-->Mining software needs to be altered to support changing the miner name and potentially be more flexible with the midstate (and also needs to be networked instead of reading data from a file)
-->PascalCoin wallet needs an additional modification to allow the mining thread to also change the miner name

And then all of the bookkeeping/backend that's standard for a pool. Smiley

Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:38:08 PM

ok stupid me didnt read abt arguments . i tried to issue a /? but no result sooooooooooooooooooooo need to read better stupid idiot... anyway great job first block found !

Congrats! I don't have much more time to work on this in the coming week, but I'll try to make it a bit more user friendly for the full launch! Smiley

cptfisher

Activity: 649
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 08:39:30 PM

have some wallet for donation ?
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:40:05 PM

I also haven't tested it, but I believe a shorter miner name would work if you just pad it with whitespace (so if you want your name to be 'Pascal' you could probably enter 'Pascal    ' (note the 4 spaces) into the miner name field, assuming that the wallet doesn't do any kind of trimming).

Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:44:37 PM

I might stick a donation address in the final miner, but for now I'm getting my benefit from having the faster miner instead Smiley Thanks though!

theo1996

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 08:45:44 PM

CAn you please release a version for gtx 460 cuda 2.1 version.It says cuda driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version.CUDA version 7.1
szachta

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 08:53:50 PM

When it will be in enxchange.
Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 08:55:26 PM

CAn you please release a version for gtx 460 cuda 2.1 version.It says cuda driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version.CUDA version 7.1

Here's a new zip file with a sm20 version too: http://www.filedropper.com/pascalcudav2
But it might not work for your card, since you only have CUDA 7.1 installed, and I don't have older versions of CUDA installed to build on. Sad

ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 09:00:36 PM

I might stick a donation address in the final miner, but for now I'm getting my benefit from having the faster miner instead Smiley Thanks though!

If Vorksholk doesn't want some donations make sure you donate directly to the Pascal developer to stimulate his development.

Vorksholk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 09:02:07 PM

If Vorksholk doesn't want some donations make sure you donate directly to the Pascal developer to stimulate his development.

Yup, good idea!

ICOcountdown.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 09:04:00 PM

Yup, good idea!

Thanks for your developments Vorksholk, I think a friendly GPU miner is the next step and hopefully we can create some more services around the coin as development proceeds.

kahir
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 09:10:14 PM

sooo when sha asics can mine too
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 433 »
  Print  

Jump to: