Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:33:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How could one disable the fans on an Antminer S7  (Read 1217 times)
Jackhalo3 (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 03:08:10 AM

I recently decided to embark on the immersion of Antminers in mineral oil. Currently I have one S5 running smoothly inside the oil, and I am very satisfied with it. It is averaging 1.3-1.4TH at 40 degrees and the fan is running fine. However, yesterday I tried submerging my first S7 (the variant with only 1 fan), and that didn't go as smoothly. When it's starting up, the fan spins for a few seconds and then stops and continuously tries to boot up. I tried unscrewing the fan from the rig and holding it above the oil. When I did this, the miner started hashing normally.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how to remove or disable the fan on an S7.  I tried removing it, but the miner doesn't want to run unless their is an operating fan connected to it.  Overheating and fire are obviously non issues if I can maintain 40 degrees. Therefore, I would like to just ditch the fans altogether and just use an external source to circulate the oil.  I would appreciate any help you could give me.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 03:39:18 AM

did you try setting fan on smallest manual setting possible in the gui.
Some people did 20%, not sure lower than this is possible. In addition, i don't have any experince with single fan models.
they could have a different setup.
Not sure that it would help, but it might since S5 fan did work in the oil somehow.
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 10:12:27 PM

I recently decided to embark on the immersion of Antminers in mineral oil. Currently I have one S5 running smoothly inside the oil, and I am very satisfied with it. It is averaging 1.3-1.4TH at 40 degrees and the fan is running fine. However, yesterday I tried submerging my first S7 (the variant with only 1 fan), and that didn't go as smoothly. When it's starting up, the fan spins for a few seconds and then stops and continuously tries to boot up. I tried unscrewing the fan from the rig and holding it above the oil. When I did this, the miner started hashing normally.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how to remove or disable the fan on an S7.  I tried removing it, but the miner doesn't want to run unless their is an operating fan connected to it.  Overheating and fire are obviously non issues if I can maintain 40 degrees. Therefore, I would like to just ditch the fans altogether and just use an external source to circulate the oil.  I would appreciate any help you could give me.

At worst case probably read the PWM pin from the miner into an Arduino or similar then feedback a pulse signal to the miner to emulate the Tacho connection from the Arduino.
Should be easy to do in software by say setting miner at 20% then reading tacho pulse frequency on a scope.
Thinking about it you could probably then ditch the PWM pin, leave the miner at way 20% fan speed and just feed a pulse back to the miner.

Something along those lines ......

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 10:25:07 PM

I've recently swapped fans on my S9 for other delta models to reduce fan noise. I can safely say that when I swapped the existing rear Fan for a delta afb1212she it ran quieter and the Rpms were a lot lower.

My point is try a different fan as one that spins slower may well have better static pressure properties so may not causing the rebooting issue.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2016, 10:29:42 PM

In oil immersion would if be better to throw the fans away and use an oil pump to circulate the oil round a small cooling radiator then introduce back to the immersion tank? A decent oil pump would be required but with some small bore tube I would probably make some jets to introduce a high flow over the cards. Just food for thought.

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
agentcash

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 12:25:39 AM

Cut the blades off the fan so just the center spins.
Burks

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 07:16:19 AM

Cut the blades off the fan so just the center spins.
Nice one!
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 03:48:42 PM

I've recently swapped fans on my S9 for other delta models to reduce fan noise. I can safely say that when I swapped the existing rear Fan for a delta afb1212she it ran quieter and the Rpms were a lot lower.

My point is try a different fan as one that spins slower may well have better static pressure properties so may not causing the rebooting issue.
I'm really interested in the better fan?
we all know bitmain will buy the cheapest option that will do the job.
So I'm sure there exist, just as efficient or better fans
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 05:17:04 PM

I'm really interested in the better fan?
we all know bitmain will buy the cheapest option that will do the job.
So I'm sure there exist, just as efficient or better fans

The Delta AFB1212SHE 4 pin 1.60A at 30% fan speed setting ran at 960rpm and worked well. Ive currently got two replacement fans from www.eyeboot.com (klintay on this forum) and they are QFR1212GHE 4pin 2.70A at 25% fan speed setting run at 1800rpm but are nice and quiet unlike the original rear fan which was a JSL unit with a big hub and small blades which whined.

I can recommend the QFR and according the deltas own website the QFR is designed to be quiet and still perform extremely well.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Jackhalo3 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 03:05:39 AM

In oil immersion would if be better to throw the fans away and use an oil pump to circulate the oil round a small cooling radiator then introduce back to the immersion tank? A decent oil pump would be required but with some small bore tube I would probably make some jets to introduce a high flow over the cards. Just food for thought.

That is exactly what I am doing. I just need to find a way to get them to run without fans connected.
Jackhalo3 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 03:12:27 AM

Is there any sort of custom controller that can accept Antminer hashing boards and doesn't require fans? Perhaps a modded firmware that I can install on the miners.
isoneguy

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 04:56:29 PM

That is exactly what I am doing. I just need to find a way to get them to run without fans connected.

Well, you could switch to the F1 firmware. This will allow you to run 1 fan instead of 2 which might be better than nothing.

I know the folks running sp30's in mineral oil modified or replaced the fans that they were using so they could use them in the oil. I think a very slow moving fan would actually help circulate the oil...allowing for additional overclocking? Let us know...these s7 blades (in theory) could take 800-900 watts ea. if the 3x pci-e plugs meant anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: