Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:31:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merged Mining Question: BTC & NMC  (Read 1336 times)
FatMagic (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:44:20 PM

Cryptocoin newb here.

I'm setup on "BTC Guild" mining for BTC, and I was curious about the "merged mining" pool.

Do you lose any hashes for the BTC pool when doing Merged Mining? Or does it put all the hashes against both pools at the same time (how does that work?)

Just wanted to know if I would be more cost effective in doing Merged Mining since I would also generate NMC alongside BTC?

Thanks for any advice. Very new to this.

zif33rs

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:46:55 PM

no...you do not...just means you have the option to mine either btc or nmc thru btc guilds pool.

New to bitcoin? Want to mine? Not sure where to start out?
Check out www.hostedmining.com
Donations and Tips  btc - 1MkjKHpZbSaRepeYaAcmRMcqt8o3HKQCF   ltc  - LNz48TP8MZmke38qbZD5gXi53KrktbJG7V  ftc  - 6iDt92cyDvxXkrDhCzMh4zEmK1b9PqShs4
FatMagic (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 02:54:26 PM

no...you do not...just means you have the option to mine either btc or nmc thru btc guilds pool.

So Merged Mining produces less BTC than the normal BTC pool -and just a bit of BTC & NMC?

zif33rs

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:06:28 PM

no...one or the other m8...  btc or nmc.  not both at the same time.   

zif

Donations and Tips  btc - 1MkjKHpZbSaRepeYaAcmRMcqt8o3HKQCF   ltc  - LNz48TP8MZmke38qbZD5gXi53KrktbJG7V  ftc  - 6iDt92cyDvxXkrDhCzMh4zEmK1b9PqShs4
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:08:27 PM

Zif you are wrong.

You can mine btc AND nmc. And no you won't lose hashes, merged mining produce exactly the same btc than normal mining. It just also use the same hash for nmc  Smiley

zif33rs

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:13:45 PM

Namecoin is only mined if you specifically point your miner at mergedmining.btcguild.com:8332 (getwork only).  I have no plans to add NMC merged mining to the Stratum interface at this time.

hmmmm.....

Aztec

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:15:07 PM

Zif you are wrong.

You can mine btc AND nmc. And no you won't lose hashes, merged mining produce exactly the same btc than normal mining. It just also use the same hash for nmc  Smiley

I would like to mine namecoins too but am not sure how to configure it. I downloaded bitcoind and ran it once. I couldn't see a config file so I created one with some values from one of the threads but I couldn't get it working. Is there a noob guide anywhere of how to configure it properly?
FatMagic (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:43:34 PM

Zif you are wrong.

Can I point my current BTC setup through cgminer at the BTC Guild Shared Pool then, without needing to configure anything special for NMC?

And without hash loss... I like it. Thanks Gabi.

langskip

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:44:28 PM

https://btc-e.com/ allows you to create an NMC wallet. For slush's pool, you just need to add the address to your config to start collecting.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 03:55:15 PM

Zif you are wrong.

Can I point my current BTC setup through cgminer at the BTC Guild Shared Pool then, without needing to configure anything special for NMC?

And without hash loss... I like it. Thanks Gabi.
Yeah. That's how most pool work. The merged mining is done on the pool side, not on the miner side, you just mine and gain BTC and NMC. No hash loss of course.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: