Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:56:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk Wisdom Prize  (Read 745 times)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:22:10 PM

Hiall,

I am thinking about, the forum is rather large and the new post count has to be in thousands per day. Even though I spend most of my waking hours reading and replying to it, I can't keep pace  Cry

Would it make sense to you that we will establish a prize, to be awarded weekly to the most insightful post or quote of a post? I am thinking that we would have maybe 5 categories, like in Nobel prize. The prize would also have to be bigger, to encourage posters. I propose a full bitcoin will be awarded to the winner in each of the categories, weekly. This will soon beat the measly $1,000,000 that the Nobel foundation has to offer. The prize would be held in BTC1 forever, as long as there are donators to the prize fund to keep it alive.

Anyone have feedback concerning the details:
- categories
- how to nominate
- weekly or monthly
- who selects the winners (popular vote after committee selection or the other way round or ?)

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 06:46:26 PM

I clocked that posts are at this time of the day coming at a rate of 4 new posts per minute, so I really think there is a need for this kind of selection. One literally can not read all that is posted!  Cheesy

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:05:15 PM

I like the idea, would be a nice way to find some good posts.  Probably no need for 5 categories at first, one seems like it would be enough work to start out.

Would funding only come from donations?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

The talk in this forum is so diverse in topics, it would not be easy to put all in the same category. I'm thinking at least the following categories:

- Bitcoin technical
- Economics

These are very different animals. I can easily make up more categories, but i would need some feedback before posting such as suggestions.

Personally I know a lot more about Economics, but I have an interest of the other also. This prize would help me a lot in searching for the gems of that side of Bitcoin.

One idea would be to give the prize to a certain person, and not weekly but monthly. This would give more credence to the prize and to the people. It would allow for a longer deliberation period.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:46:05 PM

not an announcement (yet), just for discussion:

Bitcointalk Prize on Economics
<-replace 'Economics' with something else when somebody has a burden to establish more prizes

The prize has 4 classes.

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze

The prize will be given for merits in Economic thought, as expressed in Bitcointalk Forum posts. The Prize Committee oversees the Prize Fund, which accepts donations if needed. Prize Committee must consist of at least 3 and at most 7 individuals.

Silver Prize
will be awarded monthly.

In April, for example, the Committee awards the March prize as follows (days are days of April):

1. Nomination period begins. All established members of the community* are eligible to nominate a member of the community for the prize. Nominations must be done in different threads titled accordingly. The nomination must include sufficient quotes for the nominee's last month posts that establish his wisdom concerning the subject matter. These threads are open and anyone can add quotes that further support the nominee, discuss etc. If more than 5 people are nominated, further nominations require 2 established members backing, after 10 people, 3 members etc. An established member may only nominate or support one member.

7. Nomination period ends and no more can be accepted. There may be polls/popular votes for sorting out the nominees' contributions, etc. The idea is that as many as possible would contribute to the process and consider the economic thoughts of the nominees as the jewels of all the produce of the past months, and learn from them.

10. Deliberation period begins. The supporters of nominees, must have compiled a Nomination Letter for the nominee. It must contain a maximum of 100 lines of quotes of the nominee's posts in the last month + the necessary context, in case that the posts are not stand-alone but rather an integral part of a debate. The Committee has maximum 4 days to deliberate, to whom the prize should be awarded.

15. Silver Prize is awarded to one of the nominees. If the Committee finds it best to award multiple prizes in case of exceptional quality of the posts, or no prizes at all, due to poor quality, they may do so. They also have an option to award one or many Bronze prizes for close runners-up.

Gold Prize
will be awarded yearly in January for the last year's contribution. Everyone who was awarded Silver Prize during the year is automatically nominated and no one else is eligible. Otherwise the process is similar to the Silver Prize award. The Committee must not abstain from awarding a Gold Prize but may award several.

Platinum Prize

This may be awarded for exceptional contributions and the member must have at least 2 gold prizes before this is possible.

Prize amounts

Platinum Prize = BTC100
Gold Prize = BTC10
Silver Prize = BTC1
Bronze Prize = BTC0.1

The proportion of prizes awarded should be 1 Platinum per about 10 Gold, per about 100 Silver, per about 100-500 Bronze. The members of the Committee have a quota of one Bronze Prize per member per month, for instant award. The appropriate animation must be selected with which to do this in the middle of the discussion.

* Established member = Logged in for 100+ hours, 250+ posts, 6+ months.

elizserussell

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:00:43 PM

Many thanks to Bitcointalk Wisdom Prize
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: