Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:40:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom machine - 30Ghps  (Read 1576 times)
ripkars (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:16:16 PM

Hi all,

Suppose one could build with more or less 8-10,000$ a 30Ghsps@3.5Kw mining rig. I'm not talking about custom ASICs; this is the actual cost of the rig, full stop.

Do you think that this would be a valuable investment for a 18-24 month time frame, now? I know that there are simulators out there suggesting to build it immediately, but I would like experts' opinions given your understanding of the overall bitcoin system (market value, underlying deflation mechanism, Fed regulation (BCE coming, too?), forecast hash rate of the network, forecast difficulty and the like...)

Thank you very much for sharing your point of view,

ripkars

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 06:03:49 PM

None of those variables can be accurately predicted. Your guess is as good as anyone's and in the end it will still remain an educated gamble.

bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:13:04 PM

None of those variables can be accurately predicted. Your guess is as good as anyone's and in the end it will still remain an educated gamble.

If you built it immediately it should theoretically turn a profit within weeks to a month. Beyond that point is anyone's guess.
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:00:38 PM

everyone would do that - probably pay $20k if you deliver today

but we all know you can't do that with a pile of modminers unless a miner dies and you buy from his grandmom garagesale

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ripkars (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:01:32 PM

I really wonder why people think it is necessary a custom ASIC to reach that throughput...
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:06:27 PM

I really wonder why people think it is necessary a custom ASIC to reach that throughput...

R&D don't happen over weekend like BFL suggests, anyone that would build this would not sell

Avalon did since they were worried about a monopoly but only ghosts scare them to the finish line now they drink like kings

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ripkars (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:08:25 PM

but we all know you can't do that with a pile of modminers unless a miner dies and you buy from his grandmom garagesale

Moreover, why should one sell this kind of machinery when his expected profit is much higher if s/he used that machinery for him/herself? I wonder the same for those how sell ASICs... is it related to the fact that if only one subject owns "all" the available bitcoins (theoretically speaking, of course) than their value might drop?

ripkars
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:28:29 PM

Moreover, why should one sell this kind of machinery when his expected profit is much higher if s/he used that machinery for him/herself? I wonder the same for those how sell ASICs... is it related to the fact that if only one subject owns "all" the available bitcoins (theoretically speaking, of course) than their value might drop?

ripkars

If Avalon kept all the units to themselves and mined I would say there's a good chance that could have had a negative effect on the value of Bitcoin, and in time the integrity of the network (as they approached closer to more than 50% of the network power).
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:10:00 PM

Hi all,

Suppose one could build with more or less 8-10,000$ a 30Ghsps@3.5Kw mining rig. I'm not talking about custom ASICs; this is the actual cost of the rig, full stop.

Do you think that this would be a valuable investment for a 18-24 month time frame, now? I know that there are simulators out there suggesting to build it immediately, but I would like experts' opinions given your understanding of the overall bitcoin system (market value, underlying deflation mechanism, Fed regulation (BCE coming, too?), forecast hash rate of the network, forecast difficulty and the like...)

Thank you very much for sharing your point of view,

ripkars

it would break even within 2-3 months of use if you could get it running in the next month. Within a year you would see an additional 3000-15000 depending on your power costs and bitcoin value.

how would you make the system though without ASICs? FPGA is the only way i know, and that would be more expensive wouldn't it? otherwise, 3500W would only run about 10GH of GPUs

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: