Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:20:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin: unregulate-able?  (Read 996 times)
akam (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 07:36:40 PM

With the US announcing its desire to 'regulate' bitcoin, can anyone comment if this is even possible with the open-source/decentralized structure of the bitcoin set up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:05:28 PM

With the US announcing its desire to 'regulate' bitcoin, can anyone comment if this is even possible with the open-source/decentralized structure of the bitcoin set up?

They are going after the fiat exchange market, which is about all they can do without an outright ban or attack via extreme censorship.

Something I see as more likely than not eventually.  Probably taking the form of blocking all encrypted traffic for which no usable back-door can be readily verified.  Several 'cyber 911's and it's a done deal as I see it.  And of course some taxpayer money to subsidize DPI infrastructure...much of which would slosh out of the bucket into the waiting hands of the well connected.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
CharlesPonzi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:07:03 PM

They are going after the fiat exchange market, which is about all they can do without an outright ban or attack via extreme censorship.

Something I see as more likely than not eventually.  Probably taking the form of blocking all encrypted traffic for which no usable back-door can be readily verified.  Several 'cyber 911's and it's a done deal as I see it.  And of course some taxpayer money to subsidize DPI infrastructure...much of which would slosh out of the bucket into the waiting hands of the well connected.

Or they will just build internet2...

I landed in this country with $2.50 in cash and $1 million in hopes, and those hopes never left me.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:07:54 PM

its nothing new. regulating the fiat side has always been a thing that most countries do. bitinstant already have stuff like this covered, as do the other legit exchanges.

its just now that governments are mentioning the terms "virtual conversion to legal tender" instead of the old "other currencies, digitial, or foreign to legal tender" blah blah. the SEC/FSA laws have been the same for ages..

so if you want to cash out to FIAT then expect more of the same from the likes of bitinstant, dwolla for amounts over a few hundred euro, dollar, pounds when using exchanges.

but if you wish to convert bitcoin to litecoin, name coin, dev coin or any other virtual. or vice versa.. you will remain unaffected.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 08:10:37 PM

Moral of the story...the government can come after your dollars. Bitcoin is still untouched.

Stay out of fiat if you can.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:23:44 PM

Something I see as more likely than not eventually.  Probably taking the form of blocking all encrypted traffic for which no usable back-door can be readily verified.

That will work until some ingenious hacker finds a way to get into the back door or some corrupt government employee sells all the private keys to the Russian Mafia, and then you can say goodbye to e-commerce, full stop.

It's a stupid idea even for a government.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:31:21 PM

Something I see as more likely than not eventually.  Probably taking the form of blocking all encrypted traffic for which no usable back-door can be readily verified.

That will work until some ingenious hacker finds a way to get into the back door or some corrupt government employee sells all the private keys to the Russian Mafia, and then you can say goodbye to e-commerce, full stop.

It's a stupid idea even for a government.

It's certainly not a new idea.  Thankfully it has been rejected thus far (thanks in large part to the efforts of people like Hal Finney) but desperate times require desperate measures, as they say.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: