Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:46:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poloniex Reward - [Reduce your exposure to Polo]  (Read 1948 times)
K~Ehleyr

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Ooh, shiny things!!

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 02:53:36 PM

I've already replied on the other Poloniex thread:

If someone can tell me who is the datacenter provider for Poloniex I want to verify the story.  If the datacenter outage only affected them they are lying and I am removing my coins.

Poloniex is hosted on Cloudflare servers in Los Angeles, but things like this do happen.  Even Facebook has fallen over a few times and they probably own a whole datacenter to themselves!  There's plenty of whois detail available on the domain HERE.  Why don't you phone Tristan and ask him what happened  Wink

I have since done a reverse IP lookup and the only other site that appears to be hosted on the same server as Poloniex (IP 104.20.13.48) is http://extranet.feldent.com/

Here is the whois for feldent.com

Code:
Registrant Name: domainadmin .
Registrant Organization: Feld Entertainment, Inc.
Registrant Street: 8607 Westwood Center Dr.
Registrant City: Vienna
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 22182
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7034484000
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.7034484100
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: email@feldinc.com

It might be worth contacting them to ask whether they had problems as well.  Since they are using the same server, a datacenter-related problem couldn't possibly affect one site without the other.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

Activity: 780
Merit: 510

Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 05:51:14 PM

I've already replied on the other Poloniex thread:

If someone can tell me who is the datacenter provider for Poloniex I want to verify the story.  If the datacenter outage only affected them they are lying and I am removing my coins.

Poloniex is hosted on Cloudflare servers in Los Angeles, but things like this do happen.  Even Facebook has fallen over a few times and they probably own a whole datacenter to themselves!  There's plenty of whois detail available on the domain HERE.  Why don't you phone Tristan and ask him what happened  Wink

I have since done a reverse IP lookup and the only other site that appears to be hosted on the same server as Poloniex (IP 104.20.13.48) is http://extranet.feldent.com/

Here is the whois for feldent.com

Code:
Registrant Name: domainadmin .
Registrant Organization: Feld Entertainment, Inc.
Registrant Street: 8607 Westwood Center Dr.
Registrant City: Vienna
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 22182
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7034484000
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.7034484100
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: email@feldinc.com

It might be worth contacting them to ask whether they had problems as well.  Since they are using the same server, a datacenter-related problem couldn't possibly affect one site without the other.

If you are behind CloudFlare the IP address you get is not the IP of the real server, it hides your server's ip address and hosting company.  The IP address you get is not from pinging Polo is not their server and the thus you are not even close.  Thanks for trying though.
K~Ehleyr

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Ooh, shiny things!!

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 05:52:51 PM

Ah.  Sorry I didn't realise that, I thought it was funny nobody else had just done a whois  Roll Eyes
BtcCrazy1

Activity: 603
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 07:17:48 AM

To me they are the biggest alt exchange and they have a lot of BTC liquid everyone is going to them why scam not saying they couldn't but why there is no competition and there probably bare minimum making 100+ BTC in fees a day so they are making a lot of money.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

Activity: 780
Merit: 510

Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2016, 12:24:43 PM

To me they are the biggest alt exchange and they have a lot of BTC liquid everyone is going to them why scam not saying they couldn't but why there is no competition and there probably bare minimum making 100+ BTC in fees a day so they are making a lot of money.

True 100BTC a day maybe but then their expenses may be 90BTC a day who knows are they transparent about their finances NO.  You just don't know and because of that you have to take EXTRA EXTRA precautions with these exchanges.  If they were more transparent if could verify their holdings something I would not be reducing my exposure right now.

Do not fall into the trap of guessing solvency since they are number 3 in volume it's meaningless unless you see the books.  My procedures have saved my ass 3 times so far and really I forgot I did take a big hit on an exchange way way way back in the early days.  Bitparking was the biggest namecoin exchange and I lost 50,000 NMC when it collapsed valued at the time 615 BTC and bitcoin price was at 200ish level.   (Odd how I totally forgot about that!) So after that burn I never got burned again. 

Cheers

Davinci
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: