Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:32:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the main reason for the recent price raises?  (Read 3103 times)
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:04:16 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2013, 09:16:31 PM by AnonyMint

I probably I crashed it.

The smart people realize I am correct, and are dumping while they still can.

I try to warn the insiders before I go wider scale with spreading the truth. Now I am making phone calls to people who have the ability to get my message out to two orders-of-magnitude more people. Let's see if they will do.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:25:23 PM

Please make it $1 for 1 BTC  Kiss

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:32:56 PM

I just got permission to send an email to former first Asst to Sec of Treasury at HUD dept.. The person has to power to spread this out.

I have numerous contacts like this.

I can't promise the contacts will act on the information.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
BigJohn

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:35:33 PM

Please do.

You know what they say? There's no such thing as bad publicity. The best thing that could happen to Bitcoin right now is for Obama or Bernanke or something to publicly speak of it. Either condoning it or condemning it, doesn't matter, it's all good news to the community.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:38:10 PM

Please do.

You know what they say? There's no such thing as bad publicity. The best thing that could happen to Bitcoin right now is for Obama or Bernanke or something to publicly speak of it. Either condoning it or condemning it, doesn't matter, it's all good news to the community.

Normally yes. But if the goldbug community goes against you, you are in trouble. And my contacts are in this industry.

Once they see that ButtCon's technical design can be nothing other than a trojan horse, the backlash on blogs could be widespread and severe.

I will encourage such terminology as ButtCon, BitCon, Ponzi Satoshi.

The butterfly effect.

BigJohn

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:40:43 PM

Please do.

Normally yes. But if the goldbug community goes against you, you are in trouble. And my contacts are in this industry.

Once they see that ButtCon is a trojan horse, the backlash on blogs could be widespread and severe.

The butterfly effect.

You're assuming that what I want to see is a higher Bitcoin price. You would be mistaken. More users is what the community needs, and any kind of publicity, good or bad, is great for that.

So please do e-mail whoever you can in a position of power.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:41:51 PM

Indeed, that is the level-headed attitude I like. Thanks.

And more searching for alternatives to BitCon that are not a trojan horse.

yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:04:20 PM

I am contacting friends in high places now. Time to put a stop to this. You all should know that my father was a general counsel for Exxon.

Search Attorney Shelby Moore Jr. Pensacola, FL

This is his office?
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:27:52 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2013, 10:40:42 PM by AnonyMint

He is semi-retired at 70. I am 48.

That is only one of his many homes. We were born in New Orleans, so they like the old french/cajun style shotgun wood homes for nostalgia.

Frankly I hate that house. Insufficient windows. I prefer the open style.

He was West Coast Division Head attorney for Exxon. Here is evidence of him living there:

https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/915/915.F2d.1301.89-55668.89-55666.89-55510.89-55377.html

Cited by:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&cites=16132442940821086919&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=6MRUUZG0Jsj-rAef84HADg&ved=0CGsQzgIwCA

Proof that Exxon office was in Thousand Oaks, CA at the time:

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-04-06/local/me-19698_1_thousand-oaks

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:23:29 PM

I gotta go. Bye.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:11:22 AM

Article will go out to 60,000 silver investors stating that "any one can make a copy of Bitcoin, thus it is nonsense to say there isn't debasement of P2P currency units".

Supply of P2P currency units is UNLIMITED, especially as someone make a way to trade between them, then they are fungible in terms of merchants who accept one or the other.

BigJohn

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:29:02 AM

The article could say that. The article would be lying though. Not simply wrong mind you, straight up lying. Since you've asked and were given the answer already that in fact nobody can make a copy of a Bitcoin. That it gets debased at a linear and dropping manner, instead of an exponential manner as fiat does. And that you can't trade in anything close to a 1:1 ratio between the different cryptocurrencies.

If you want to be honest, you'd have to mention all these facts.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:16:42 AM

Fungibility between Bitcoin and competitors can maybe be provided by a real-time exchange at the time of spend.

It is still required to have confidence in the quality of the competitor's P2P database.

I don't agree this is the strongest point. But that writer likes it. I am urging him to hit the other points also.

1:1 ratio is irrelevant. Fungibility is all that is required with an exchange. Real-time makes it more fungible. Fungibility lifts the value of the less expensive currency via arbitrage, until fair-value is reached.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:28:46 AM

This is verbose. I did not take time to refine it.

Some more thoughts in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKC7iaBKvs

I like the point that "Ponzi" Sotashi (the anonymous creator) disappeared when the developers started to pressure him on his identity.

Our talking points:

1. SATOSHI:

I don't know if you like the conspiracy angle, but it doesn't make any sense that someone can work on something alone for 3 years, then pop up and be such an expert on cryptography, no one in the industry knows him, no family or friends know of him and his work, then disappear without a trace. Normal people talk to other people over a period of years. This indicates it must be CIA or military industrial complex like agent. In one of the cryptography examples that Sotashi gave on the mailing list where he first discussed his invention with James A. Donald (a person I know), he used a military example.

The design Satoshi chose (as described below) is not a random choice. It was clearly design to fail in a very specific way that gives power to the government, even there are other designs that won't fail.

2. BITCON's DEBASEMENT IS NOT AT ALL THE SAME AS GOLD:

Bitcoin fanboys claim that Bitcoin is like gold because the debasement is halving every 4 years, to stop at 21 million coins with a couple of decades (75% in first 8 years, 87.5% in first 12 years). This provided 50% of the total money supply to the insiders who mined in the first 4 years.

But this is nothing like gold, which was debased over millenia, and still has an increasing supply forever (we can mine gold in future in outer space), and the nominal increase every year it itself increasing. Gold is much more fair to mankind because the very rich can't enslave us with a money supply that never depletes. Slowly depleting money supply is important, so that lazy capitalists can't concentrate their percentage of money supply with interest bearing bonds. Innovation comes from new production, and in the small. Large capital can't see all those small innovations and can't finance innovation with guaranteed interest. Investmet at risk is required to finance innovation, not usury. A money supply which did not debase at all, is slavery to the usurists.

What is bad about debasement, is uncontrolled debasement or especially debasbement that is decided by one group. Gold is meritocracy because the debasement can't be altered easily by any one group, and new gold is added to keep capital from becoming lazy and sit in usury bonds.

3. BITCON's INFLATION IS IN THEORY UNLIMITED (but are they fungible?):

P2P currency units can be created by anyone who creates a competitor. If an exchange is created between different P2P currencies, then if a merchant accepts Bitcoin, then it also accepts the currencies that can be exchanged to it. Exchanges could operate in real-time in theory because these are digital, so "Clickout Shopping Chart" in Bitcoin could in theory be paid with any P2P units.

I liked this point a lot. Currently Litecoin is only worth pennies per coin even though there are much less Litecoins mined than Bitcoin.

Perhaps they are not yet fungible, because people a) don't see this real time exchange capability, b) they don't yet trust that Litecoin is a stable system.

Fungibility between Bitcoin and competitors can maybe be provided by a real-time exchange at the time of spend.

It is still required to have confidence in the quality of the competitor's P2P database.

I don't agree this is the strongest point. I am urging to hit the other points also.

1:1 ratio is irrelevant. Fungibility is all that is required with an exchange. Real-time makes it more fungible. Fungibility lifts the value of the less expensive currency via arbitrage, until fair-value is reached.

4. ANONYMITY IS OVERRATED:

Yes each sending and receiving address doesn't have a name. But FinCIN ruled March 13, 2013 that to cash in/out to any other currency makes the person a money transmitter and falls under their regulation and reporting requirements.

The P2P (peer-to-peer) database has one copy and is viewable by everyone. The govt tracks what we do with various methods such as cookies,
man-in-the-middle routers, our facebook and google accounts (they have to provide the info if govt asks for it), etc.. Thus they can figure out the identity of the transactions if they really want to.

Gold is a private hedge against government. You can trade it without any public record viewable by everyone on the internet.

5. MONOPOLY ON PROCESSING (666):

Digital kill switch.

I want you to get the technical description correct. So I will write the following paragraph carefully.

Bitcoin transactions are processed by the peer computers who contribute their processing power to computing a hash puzzle, in exchange for a reward which is the debasement that occurs with each transaction block. Without this processing by the peers, then no transactions can occur and the Bitcoins would be worthless. These peers compete to solve the puzzle (on each 10 minute block of transactions), and this mathematically insures that there can't be a double-spend in the one distributed copy of the database (sounds like magic but it isn't). If an attacker had 51% of the processing power, he could corrupt this database, refuse to do certain transactions, or even change the protocol to do hyperinflation or what desired. Normally it is not likely for an attacker to get 51% because the whole world is motivated to contribute processing power in exchange for that debasement reward. But this reward is halving every 4 years and will eventually be 0. So who will process the transactions then? The developers of Bitcoin claim that a) some retailers such as Walmart will have an incentive to offer processing for free in exchange for prioritizing their own transactions, and b) that a market-based transaction fee can
compensate other peers.

That is a logic fail. If the corporations can give away processing for free, then there is no market for a transaction fee. Users will not route their transactions to the peers that charge, if the corporations are offering to process the transactions for free.  (Also the market-based transaction fee wouldn't scale any way for numerous reasons... ask me if you need to know... but you don't really need to know because the other point trumps this one any way).

So therefor Bitcoin is designed to hand over processing of digital payments to corporate-fascism.

Although some might think we can't create a competitor later (in which the no debasement is a lie), I actually think that once the bitcoin is #1 and widely adopted, it will be impossible to compete to create a new P2P currency. The reason is because the primary need will be fulfilled and it would be impossible to get the momentum to build from small again. Remember money is a social institution, so you need economy-of-scale. Right now, everyone is very excited because there is no such P2P currency in widespread adoption. Once there is, most people won't want to try an upstart small currency. And I think probably they are not fungible, but you can present both arguments.

6. WASTEFUL and THUS NOT PROFITABLE FOR PROCESSORS

Bitcoin's Proof-of-Work algorithm for preventing double-spend requires all the peers to be continually processing thus burning electricity (the main cost) and expensive specialized hardware such as GPUs, FPAs, and ASICs.

Thus the mining is less profitable and the Bitcoin difficulty scales to the total mining power in the system. This keep the reward for mining nearly equal to the cost of mining on a system-wide basis. The only way to profit is the have a more efficient hardware (or lower electric cost) than the other peers. Thus there is really not net profit being generated system wide-- zero-sum game.  Many miners don't realize this yet and have doubled-down on huge hardware investments and long payoff terms (but Moore's Law means the new miners double in speed every 18 months).

Thus the miners really are not profitable. Thus this is going to fall right into the lap of the corporate-fascism to keep the processing going.

Whereas, I designed a Proof-of-Work which uses hard-disk space and the peers are only doing something when they are selected round-robin. Thus mining can be much more profitable and the more important thing is everybody already has a hard-disk to contribute and don't need to buy esoteric specialized hardware.

So my point is that Bitcoin is designed to making the processing by peers fail and fall into the lap of corporate-fascism. There is a way to fix this technically, but Bitcoin refuses to make these changes. I talked with the developers for a period of days, then they banned me when they realized I had figured out their scam system.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:56:32 AM

fungibility point is a bit weak

I may be sending you a better document after a few hours. I'm worried that if you get some technical details wrong, they will accuse you of lying.

I will try to condense and not use technical language.

On the issue of fungibility between competing P2P currencies, I think you need to be careful about this point. It is not clear that they will be fungible.

The stronger point is that they are not fungible, and that the first mover advantage will go to BitCON! And thus it will monopolize processing for the corporate-fascism and then they have the digital kill switch on each person.

Now the fanboys will say that you can just create a new address at any time. This is myopic, because as soon as the corporates have 51% of the processing power (by giving it away for free), then they can change the protocol and work with the government regulators to require everyone to be registered with global id per person.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:28:21 AM

I don't agree this is the strongest point. But that writer likes it. I am urging him to hit the other points also.

I will try to get all the facts and possibilities mentioned, but I can't completely eliminate the communication barrier between a programmer (myself) and non-technical person. Some understanding will be lost in the process.

I am composing something better now. I have to rush because that writer wants to publish immediately. I'm sleepless, my prose is suffering.

BigJohn

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:50:09 AM

No, that's BS.

The argument is that Bitcoin is inflation-proof once the 21 million were mined. You're claiming that this is not true. You're wrong, and here's why.

Your point is that while it's true that there will only ever be 21 million Bitcoins, that number can be extended with additional currencies like Litecoin. The problem with that is for that logic to make sense, each Litecoin would have be worth exactly 1 Bitcoin. If a Litecoin is worth say 0.5 of a Bitcoin, then what's the point? You could just use 0.5 of a Bitcoin. The existence of Litecoin doesn't extend the amount of Bitcoins out there any more so than the existence of Silver extends the amount of Gold out there. One of the uses for Silver is to use it as a smaller denomination because 1 unit of Gold is worth so much. That's not a problem with Bitcoin, as it can be divided to eight decimal places. Good luck trying to get 0.00000001 ounces of physical Gold. If Silver was worth exactly the same as Gold, then it could be said that for the purpose of currency-backing, Silver is as good as Gold, therefore we have more to work with. But it's not. And Bitcoin isn't either.

The rhetorical question here is, if people wanted to extend Bitcoin, then why start a whole new currency instead of just using a smaller value of Bitcoin? It's trivial to send 0.00000001BTC just as much as it is to send 1BTC.
Bitzing

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:57:51 AM

Is this crazy?

What if satoshi created this knowing the difficulty would go up and just make a killing of the software to mine it.
Remember the real money in the gold rush was sell equipment. If there were no pick axes there was no gold.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:17:13 AM

No, that's BS.

The argument is that Bitcoin is inflation-proof once the 21 million were mined. You're claiming that this is not true. You're wrong, and here's why.

Your point is that while it's true that there will only ever be 21 million Bitcoins, that number can be extended with additional currencies like Litecoin. The problem with that is for that logic to make sense, each Litecoin would have be worth exactly 1 Bitcoin. If a Litecoin is worth say 0.5 of a Bitcoin, then what's the point? You could just use 0.5 of a Bitcoin. The existence of Litecoin doesn't extend the amount of Bitcoins out there any more so than the existence of Silver extends the amount of Gold out there. One of the uses for Silver is to use it as a smaller denomination because 1 unit of Gold is worth so much. That's not a problem with Bitcoin, as it can be divided to eight decimal places. Good luck trying to get 0.00000001 ounces of physical Gold. If Silver was worth exactly the same as Gold, then it could be said that for the purpose of currency-backing, Silver is as good as Gold, therefore we have more to work with. But it's not. And Bitcoin isn't either.

The rhetorical question here is, if people wanted to extend Bitcoin, then why start a whole new currency instead of just using a smaller value of Bitcoin? It's trivial to send 0.00000001BTC just as much as it is to send 1BTC.

1. This was not my point. The writer mentioned it and as sleepless as I am at the moment, I agreed in a rush that it might be a possibility.

2. Actually gold and silver do extend the money supply of each other, but they are not exactly fungible because they have different qualities. In terms of valuation, silver is more volatile. In terms of physical properties, they are different and have different applications. Thus they have different  pricing. But do not think that their prices are not related. If either gets too overvalued w.r.t. to the other, this is an arbitrage opportunity over the long-term. C.f. the gold/silver ratio and the Bimetallic standard. These were important concepts in the 1800s. Many elections were found over them.

3. The key reason why they won't be fungible is because competing currencies will have different properties and their valuations will have different dynamics. However, I think it is wrong to assert that more competitors does not increase the supply of digital coins. Sorry I think the writer is correct, but he must be careful to point out they are not perfectly fungible.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:25:06 AM

I missed the main point. Gresham's Law.

Bad money drives good money out of circulation.

So Bitcoin will end up being more hoarded than a P2P competing currency that has more debasement. Which will be better for that competitor, because lack of velocity is the problem in Bitcoin. Too much hoarding as store-of-value, not enough using as a unit-of-exchange.

No, that's BS.

1. This was not my point. The writer mentioned it and as sleepless as I am at the moment, I agreed in a rush that it might be a possibility.

2. Actually gold and silver do extend the money supply of each other, but they are not exactly fungible because they have different qualities. In terms of valuation, silver is more volatile. In terms of physical properties, they are different and have different applications. Thus they have different  pricing. But do not think that their prices are not related. If either gets too overvalued w.r.t. to the other, this is an arbitrage opportunity over the long-term. C.f. the gold/silver ratio and the Bimetallic standard. These were important concepts in the 1800s. Many elections were found over them.

3. The key reason why they won't be fungible is because competing currencies will have different properties and their valuations will have different dynamics. However, I think it is wrong to assert that more competitors does not increase the supply of digital coins. Sorry I think the writer is correct, but he must be careful to point out they are not perfectly fungible.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: