Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:59:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Letter to Instawallet  (Read 7759 times)
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:20:40 PM

I remember this exact same thing happening last year.
Already searched the forum and couldn't find anything.

This issue has already been discussed a few times here: https://coinad.com/?m=chat

Also, Google doesn't magically get those links.
Someone must have posted them online somewhere.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the founder (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 06:56:58 PM

My understanding of the https protocol is that only the host name is visible to an attacker.  Once they are sure the site is locked down, I'd appreciate knowing what the specific vulnerability was.

I don't think it's a good idea to lay out how I fixed instawallet's problem,  but I am fairly certain that Google won't be spidering wallets unless my friends in France decide to do something they shouldn't.

considering your good intentions in working with the team at instawallet to fix their problem, don't you think it would also be a good idea to proactively help others avoid making the same mistakes? i don't want to make any assumptions as to why they neglected to offer so much as a thank you, but this news is disturbing to myself and i'm sure others as to what google (bing, yahoo, etc) are doing behind the curtain that could be exposing this community to security risks.

i'd actually be much more interested in the cause than the fix anyway.

The cause is honestly two fold ,  a lack of SEO experience on Instawallet's side,  and a lack of complete honesty from Google's side.

Google's Definition of Robots.Txt file isn't what you guys think it is.

1. You guys all believe it's not a "do not list these directories and pages"  
2. Google's definition is "do not spider these directories and pages"

They are NOT the same definition.  Not even close.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 07:59:32 PM

.htaccess is king when if comes to that.
nyusternie

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:47:52 PM

The cause is honestly two fold ,  a lack of SEO experience on Instawallet's side,  and a lack of complete honesty from Google's side.

that's pretty much how i understood it. what i don't get (and the million bitcoin question) is how did google manage to index 3000 random urls in the first place?

i can only assume that it was a related google service acting stealthily on the site (e.g. analytics, google+, etc). again, i'm not so concerned about how you fixed it, so much as to how it happened in the first place.

if this turns out to be an issue that could affect my own business, i'd be more than willing to donate to ur discovery.

1SDoTrAWQnbJ2ZHvLs3a2XxazqNSishn1
GPG A1638B57 | OTC nyusternie
the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 12:04:07 AM

that's pretty much how i understood it. what i don't get (and the million bitcoin question) is how did google manage to index 3000 random urls in the first place?

i can only assume that it was a related google service acting stealthily on the site (e.g. analytics, google+, etc). again, i'm not so concerned about how you fixed it, so much as to how it happened in the first place.

if this turns out to be an issue that could affect my own business, i'd be more than willing to donate to ur discovery.

Deal!  what's your business url and I will let you know via PM.  If it is client impacting and is helpful for you then send me some coins.  I dont' think they were random either..  I strongly suspect I know what did it and you're going down the right path asking questions if Anaylitics, Google+, Google Chat, Gmail, etc were to blame.

.htaccess is king when if comes to that.

That is one way to fix it,  but it's not the only way ... .htaccess is sort of like a broad sword last ditch coverage attempt...  IE: plan C (if A and B fail) but definitely one of the right things to do because we're all human and we really can never catch everything.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
nyusternie

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:28:29 AM

Deal!  what's your business url and I will let you know via PM.  If it is client impacting and is helpful for you then send me some coins.  I dont' think they were random either..  I strongly suspect I know what did it and you're going down the right path asking questions if Anaylitics, Google+, Google Chat, Gmail, etc were to blame.

well... i just discovered your other thread regarding this topic and i'm beginning to have my doubts
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159025.msg1695310#msg1695310

honestly, until you convince me otherwise this appears to be a whole lot of FUD.

i'm fairly certain that i would have little to no exposure to a similar security risk, given the design of my site and the fact that i don't use ANY google services and have no intention of doing so (but, i'm still guessing as to the basis of your find).

my motivation here is to encourage others to "do the right thing" and report bugs, flaws, etc when they find them; instead of trying to exploit them for profit; and in turn be rewarded for their service. i believe a bug/flaw reward program is something that more companies should offer, especially in the high security, high value world that is Bitcoin.

our service, currently in development is:
https://www.btcvillage.nl
and until i have an opportunity to publish a formal reward program (certainly before we launch), i welcome you (and anyone else for that matter) to review our platform and report their findings. and i can assure that i WILL be grateful for ANY valid discoveries and show my appreciation with a reasonable amount of monetary compensation

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:36:33 AM

Davouts profile says he won't be around until Mar 31, though I doubt he will give you a penny anyways. Read this for future disclosure of security holes to vendors, and why you shouldn't do anything because you'll just get fucked one way or another http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/11/hacking-choice-and-disclosure/
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 11:41:18 PM

you're going down the right path asking questions if Anaylitics, Google+, Google Chat, Gmail, etc were to blame.

Right now Instawallet doesn't refer anything from out of its domain, and even links to outgoing sites are protected behind a redirect wall to prevent the target websites from getting the wallet URL in the referrer. But don't forget that Instawallet had another owner and previously had a different design, and they may have at some point used Google Analytics or a G+ share button. It would be good to know what's the age of the wallets that were indexed by Google (so we could link them to a certain timespan). And some simple experiences are enough to find out if Google parses chat and emails for URLs and crawls them (create random address on your server, post it nowhere but on a email/chat and wait for a Googlebot hit).

nyusternie

"Living the Kewl Life"

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:37:03 AM

you're going down the right path asking questions if Anaylitics, Google+, Google Chat, Gmail, etc were to blame.

Right now Instawallet doesn't refer anything from out of its domain, and even links to outgoing sites are protected behind a redirect wall to prevent the target websites from getting the wallet URL in the referrer. But don't forget that Instawallet had another owner and previously had a different design, and they may have at some point used Google Analytics or a G+ share button. It would be good to know what's the age of the wallets that were indexed by Google (so we could link them to a certain timespan). And some simple experiences are enough to find out if Google parses chat and emails for URLs and crawls them (create random address on your server, post it nowhere but on a email/chat and wait for a Googlebot hit).

good point. didn't notice that before.
raises the question, what exactly did the OP do? LOL

the founder (OP)

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 04:19:00 AM

Google Webmaster Tools
Ban Directory from being listed (not indexed, listed)

I'm locking this thread.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: