Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:46:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about paper wallets  (Read 128 times)
benderobot (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:18:02 PM

Hi,

I´ve just started in Bitcoin world and I have some money in Kraken, and I need to know if I can directly transfer my BTC from Kraken to a paper wallet, by bitaddress.org ,just paying the Kraken fees.

And once the BTC are in the paper wallet, can I do the same or do I have to register in a wallet like blockchain to read my QR? In the last case, I would have to pay Blockchain and Kraken fees, right?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:34:59 PM

I´ve just started in Bitcoin world and I have some money in Kraken, and I need to know if I can directly transfer my BTC from Kraken to a paper wallet, by bitaddress.org ,just paying the Kraken fees.
yes, you can send directly to your paperwallet address, make sure you keep the private key safe.

And once the BTC are in the paper wallet, can I do the same or do I have to register in a wallet like blockchain to read my QR? In the last case, I would have to pay Blockchain and Kraken fees, right?
I don't understand this question. do the same what?
soon or later, when you want to send your BTC from your paperwallet you will need to "import" your address to a wallet
but in the meantime you don't have to do it immediately now.
if you just want to keep it on your paperwallet, you don't have to do anything else

benderobot (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 08:46:35 PM

Thanks,

I meant same process, If I could directly transfer the BTC back to Kraken without any other online wallet, just import my paper wallet address from Kraken.
aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:22:32 PM

Thanks,

I meant same process, If I could directly transfer the BTC back to Kraken without any other online wallet, just import my paper wallet address from Kraken.

I do not know if it is possible to import your own private key to kraken. Probably not, but there are some exchanges that allow that.

Easiest solution is to install eg. copay to your mobile phone and scan your private key with that, and then send the BTC to wherever you want without any fees except miners fee ofcourse...

My Address: 121f7zb2U4g9iM4MiJTDhEzqeZGHzq5wLh
benderobot (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 09:31:36 PM

Thanks, I´ll try copay.
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 10:33:45 PM

soon or later, when you want to send your BTC from your paperwallet you will need to "import" your address to a wallet
Thanks,

you have to understand the different between sending/transfer BTC and importing an address.
kraken provides you a deposit address, you have to send BTC to that address (can't simply import)
if you have BTC on paperwallet, you need to import to a wallet that support importing address (most does)
then you can use the wallet (as a tool) for sending the BTC to your deposit address on kraken
does kraken charge fee on deposit?

I do not know if it is possible to import your own private key to kraken. Probably not, but there are some exchanges that allow that.

Easiest solution is to install eg. copay to your mobile phone and scan your private key with that, and then send the BTC to wherever you want without any fees except miners fee ofcourse...
there is NO exchange allows you to import address!
and using copay, are you sure it's importing and not sweeping
if it's sweeping... you will have to pay twice, one tx fee for the sweeping and another tx fee for the sending to kraken

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16600

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 03:09:37 PM

Thanks, I´ll try copay.
I haven't tried copay, but I've used Mycelium to read a QR-code from a paper wallet, then read another QR-code from the site I want to send it to. This way, the phone wallet is only used to create the transaction, and never used to store funds.
Note that you have to send the entire balance at once. In Mycelium, I click "Max", and it only takes out the transaction fee. If you were to use a part of the paper wallet, the change is send to a change address, and not back to your paper wallet.

benderobot (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:11:32 PM

you have to understand the different between sending/transfer BTC and importing an address.
kraken provides you a deposit address, you have to send BTC to that address (can't simply import)
if you have BTC on paperwallet, you need to import to a wallet that support importing address (most does)
then you can use the wallet (as a tool) for sending the BTC to your deposit address on kraken

I haven't tried copay, but I've used Mycelium to read a QR-code from a paper wallet, then read another QR-code from the site I want to send it to. This way, the phone wallet is only used to create the transaction, and never used to store funds.
Note that you have to send the entire balance at once. In Mycelium, I click "Max", and it only takes out the transaction fee. If you were to use a part of the paper wallet, the change is send to a change address, and not back to your paper wallet.

Thank you both, I get it now.
HappyMod

Activity: 224
Merit: 2

ICO Communtiy Management & Engagement happymod.io

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 08:44:34 PM

Thank you both, I get it now.

If you want to store bitcoin for a longer term hold I would recommend keeping it in a paper wallet.
If you want to move it around, buy and sell it and similar things - I would say its probably better to stick to a wallet such as mycelium. Be warned about shiesty wallets. They can easily steal your bitcoins if you accidentally download malware.

Startup for Cryptocurrency Community Management, Engagement and Marketing. Expert in ICO Advising and moderation of social media platforms happymod.io
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: