Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:12:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain with "account-based" transactions  (Read 926 times)
runeks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 06:57:08 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 07:08:51 AM by runeks

Some guy wrote this:

Account-Based Blockchains Would Save Space & Ease Clearing

Ideas?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6637

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2016, 07:08:10 PM

I wrote this:
FTFY

It's not a bad idea. It would require a hard fork.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 11:45:21 PM

Ideas?

If your distributed database doesn't store all the transactions that have occurred...

Then how can anyone verify that the balance at an account is valid?

Lets say you have a blockchain that says that account 1d2f3... has a balance of 2 BTC
Lets say that I have a blockchain that says that account 1d2f3... has a balance of 10 BTC

Which is the "correct" balance?  How would we decide?
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 12:07:19 AM

Ideas?

If your distributed database doesn't store all the transactions that have occurred...

Lets say you have a blockchain that says that account 1d2f3... has a balance of 2 BTC
Lets say that I have a blockchain that says that account 1d2f3... has a balance of 10 BTC

Which is the "correct" balance?  How would we decide?

Actually, cryptonite's Mini-Blockchain scheme does exactly that: http://cryptonite.info
What it does is basically keep a account balances ledger (in form of a second blockchain) storing the correct account balances and thus allowing to prune past transaction data.

This example here

is impossible if a consensus is formed after let's say 6 confirmations through a proof of work function. (Note, the account balance blockchain may use the same POW as the regular blockchain does). Your example is as impossible as if a merchant thinks that account 1d2f3 payed him 2 BTC (and confirmed 6 times) while a different merchant thinks he got the very same 2 BTC as well. (also with 6 confirmations) Wink
runeks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 07:08:10 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 07:21:58 AM by runeks

It's not that transactions aren't stored in the blockchain (they still are), it's just that they no longer reference other transactions in the blockchain, but rather they reference accounts (unique output scripts) in the UTXO set. When we parse the blockchain, we need to keep a UTXO set anyway, because an outpoint can only be redeemed once. This means we need to maintain a UTXO set in any case, and if transactions referenced this directly we could save space.

So only transaction inputs would change, nothing else.

EDIT: I've changed the title of the post to better reflect the above explanation, as I see how your doubt can arise when I say that the blockchain is "account-based" (it's the transactions, in the blockchain, that are account-based, so to speak).
runeks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 07:33:56 AM

I just realized I made a mistake. This wouldn't enable clearing payment channel payments from multiple clients into one Bitcoin transaction. Only payments to the same address/script can save space in the redeeming transaction. And distinct payment channels have distinct scripts, of course (duh). This makes it a lot less interesting for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: