Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:17:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting/unusual scenario - confirmation times  (Read 729 times)
tertius993 (OP)

Activity: 1029
Merit: 712

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:11:55 PM

First let me say this is not a complaint, I just haven't noticed this happen before.

I sent a small transaction with the recommended fees from core (with is my normal practice, I just use whatever fees are suggested):

TxID: 6c37eba28af906b3ed498627b0a05e7e0ae218dc60e8f9bd98981c4aa0b7c74c

I managed to send it right at the start of a biggish gap between blocks, about 40 minutes according to blockchain.info

The following 6 blocks (which took a further 61 minutes) were all effectively full, 998 kB or more; it didn't get into any of those and so it has now been >90 minutes, without a single confirm.

Given I'm not really bothered in this situation (as confirming it is not time critical) it doesn't matter this time; but realistically is there anything I could have done to get it confirmed faster? Would higher fees even help given the blocks are basically full?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:28:46 PM

First let me say this is not a complaint, I just haven't noticed this happen before.

I sent a small transaction with the recommended fees from core (with is my normal practice, I just use whatever fees are suggested):

I managed to send it right at the start of a biggish gap between blocks, about 40 minutes according to blockchain.info

The following 6 blocks (which took a further 61 minutes) were all effectively full, 998 kB or more; it didn't get into any of those and so it has now been >90 minutes, without a single confirm.

Given I'm not really bothered in this situation (as confirming it is not time critical) it doesn't matter this time; but realistically is there anything I could have done to get it confirmed faster? Would higher fees even help given the blocks are basically full?

You should probably move this to the Technical Support section, but...

Do you have bitcoin core running continuously or just start it up, send and shut it down?  If the latter, then you may not have gotten a good estimate on the fees.
steven0021

Activity: 629
Merit: 501

Experientia docet

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:32:11 PM

You only paid 0.00004195BTC fee for 373 bytes transaction, of course it'll take long. If you've sent many transactions like that and never got this problem then that's what's surprising.

Higher fees help because miners will be more likely to include your transaction in a block.

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
tertius993 (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:36:35 PM

You should probably move this to the Technical Support section, but...

Do you have bitcoin core running continuously or just start it up, send and shut it down?  If the latter, then you may not have gotten a good estimate on the fees.

It doesn't run continuously but it had been running for several hours before this transaction was sent.  How long does it need to be running to make a good estimate?
tertius993 (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 02:42:16 PM

You only paid 0.00004195BTC fee for 373 bytes transaction, of course it'll take long. If you've sent many transactions like that and never got this problem then that's what's surprising.

As I said I typically pay whatever fee the core client suggests, and that is what I did here.

Moreover blockchain.info describes expected confirmation for this transaction as "Very Soon (High Priority)" Smiley - though I do not know on what basis it makes that assessment.

Higher fees help because miners will be more likely to include your transaction in a block.

Well yes I understand that thank you but given the number of full blocks we have seen in quick succession (there have now been 8 blocks exceeding 998 kB) I imagine the backlog of transactions must be quite large, and how much extra would one have to pay to actually make a difference?
steven0021

Activity: 629
Merit: 501

Experientia docet

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 03:00:48 PM

As I said I typically pay whatever fee the core client suggests, and that is what I did here.

Moreover blockchain.info describes expected confirmation for this transaction as "Very Soon (High Priority)" Smiley - though I do not know on what basis it makes that assessment.

Well yes I understand that thank you but given the number of full blocks we have seen in quick succession (there have now been 8 blocks exceeding 998 kB) I imagine the backlog of transactions must be quite large, and how much extra would one have to pay to actually make a difference?

I suggest you take a look at this site for the recommended fees. Right now the recommended fee are 60 satoshi per byte, you can still use lower fee (maybe 40spb) and get fast confirmation but using the recommended fee will ensure a confirmation within 3 blocks (most of the time).

Blockchain.info are often wrong with their priority estimation so I wouldn't rely on it. If you want to see the numerical priority (using this calculation) of a transaction use blocktrail instead.

▄▄███████▄▄                           ▄      ▄
   ██████████████▄                       ███    ███
  ███▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████                     ███    ███
  █████████████▄ ▀███                    ███    ███   █▄ ▄▄
   ▀████▄  ▄▄███  ▀███                   ███    ███  ▄████
   ▄███████████   ▄███                  ███    ███  ▀▀███▀▀
   ███           ▄███         ▄▄▄▄      ███    ███     █    ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
  ▄███     ▄▄▄▄█████        ▄█████▄    ▄██▀   ▄██▀    ███   █████████
  ███▄    ████████         ▄███▀▀███   ███    ███    ███▀   █████▀████
   ███     ▀▀█████▄      ▄█████▄ ███   ███    ███    ███    ████   ███
   ███         ▀███▄     ███▀███ ███  ███▀   ███▀    ███    ███▀   ███
   ███           ███▄    ███  ▀▀ ███  ███    ███    ███▀   ▄███    ███
   ▀██▄           ███    ███▄  ▄███   ███    ███    ███    ███    ███▀
    ███           ▀███▄   ████████    ███    ███    ███    ███    ███
    ▀██            ▀████   ▀████▀      ██     ██    ▀██    ▀█▀    ▀█▀

▄▄▀                ▀▄▄
     ▄ ▀▀                    ▀▀ ▄
   ▄ ▀▀▀                      ▀▀▀ ▄
  ▄▀▀▀                          ▀▀▀▄
 ▀█▄▄                            ▄▄█▀
▄█  ▄                            ▄  █▄
▀█ █▀                            ▀█ █▀
█▄  ▄                            ▄  ▄█
▀█ █                              █ █▀
█▄   █                          █   ▄█
 ██▄█▀                          ▀█▄██
  ▀▀  ▄█                      █▄  ▀▀
  ▀██▄ ▀  █▄              ▄█  ▀ ▄██▀
    ▀▀▀   ██  █▄      ▄█  ██   ▀▀▀
     ▀███▄▄▀  ███    ███  ▀▄▄███▀
        ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀    ▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀
Free Bitcoins
Chat Lottery & Games
Level Up System with Rewards
▄████████▄  ▄████████▄
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
 ████████    ████████
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
██      ██  ██      ██
▀████████▀  ▀████████▀
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2016, 03:21:18 PM

So if you click the Choose... button next to Transaction Fee, you will get some more detailed selection about the transaction fee. The normal fee (which is probably what you have it set to), is actually an estimate to get a confirmation within the next 25 blocks. So if you actually want faster confirmations, you need to move the slider to the right towards "fast".

Their assessment is highly inaccurate. I recommend that completely disregard it and never think of it again.

You just need to pay more than the lowest paying transaction in the block. You would effectively bump that transaction out with yours.

tertius993 (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2016, 03:33:24 PM

So if you click the Choose... button next to Transaction Fee, you will get some more detailed selection about the transaction fee. The normal fee (which is probably what you have it set to), is actually an estimate to get a confirmation within the next 25 blocks. So if you actually want faster confirmations, you need to move the slider to the right towards "fast".

Thanks very much - I did not know that at all.  Interesting that the recommended amount doesn't change at all until you get it down to "within 10 blocks".

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: