Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:08:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTF] MtGox moving ~432k BTC (4 to 12 million $) to a single address !  (Read 8393 times)
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:52:07 PM

why start a new thread when this was already being discussed here http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15984.msg209464#msg209464

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:59:41 PM

Seriously, it's thoughts like this that are destroying bitcoin. If people keep this "huh something I don't understand is going on IT MUST BE THE GOVERNMENT DOING IT TO DESTROY ME" the only thing people will think when they think bitcoin is insane, tinfoil hat wearing loonies and it'll never be taken seriously, and I don't want that to happen, So please stop doing it.

Destroying Bitcoin?

People will post what they post. The internet makes it so easy to be the unshaven, unwashed, whiskey breathing, flea ridden guy standing on the corner with a cardboard box sign that says "The end is nigh, commit your first born unto me". No serious investor makes a move because of something some random guy said on an internet forum. And if they do, thank Stimpy that we can profit from their lack of insight and shortsightedness.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:28:32 AM

There is nothing odd at all about this. He's just transferring most of MtGox's coins off-site. That means that you won't be able to access these funds even if you had root access to his server. This is a GOOD thing. In fact, I'd be worried if we DIDN'T see this.

k

Activity: 451

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:44:00 AM

what happens when people buy BTC for $ on MtGox, won't it need to come from this address http://blockexplorer.com/a/8d7f1vDvvw? it's still all there. do people leave that much BTC with MtGox that ~432k BTC can be put aside and still meet the demand of people buying BTC?
Durr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:02:29 AM

MtGox is going short
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:08:23 AM

Seriously, it's thoughts like this that are destroying bitcoin. If people keep this "huh something I don't understand is going on IT MUST BE THE GOVERNMENT DOING IT TO DESTROY ME" the only thing people will think when they think bitcoin is insane, tinfoil hat wearing loonies and it'll never be taken seriously, and I don't want that to happen, So please stop doing it.

Destroying Bitcoin?

People will post what they post. The internet makes it so easy to be the unshaven, unwashed, whiskey breathing, flea ridden guy standing on the corner with a cardboard box sign that says "The end is nigh, commit your first born unto me". No serious investor makes a move because of something some random guy said on an internet forum. And if they do, thank Stimpy that we can profit from their lack of insight and shortsightedness.

If no one invests in making their marketplace or site bitcoin capable because all they see is insane paranoid scheziophrenics who believe the government wiretapped their bathroom to steal their bitcoins then how is it ever going to get popular support? I want bitcoin to succeed, it's an excellent idea but currently the community seems to be really trying to destroy it (announcing they're going to use it for tax evasion, purchasing drugs, government conspiracies and such like).
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:43:58 AM

If no one invests in making their marketplace or site bitcoin capable because all they see is insane paranoid scheziophrenics who believe the government wiretapped their bathroom to steal their bitcoins then how is it ever going to get popular support? I want bitcoin to succeed, it's an excellent idea but currently the community seems to be really trying to destroy it (announcing they're going to use it for tax evasion, purchasing drugs, government conspiracies and such like).

We're working on a forum reboot, switching the current mess for a more business-professional one at weusecoins.

As the "official" bitcoin forum, this is just an embarrassment.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:58:09 AM

We're working on a forum reboot, switching the current mess for a more business-professional one at weusecoins.

Thank you!! I'm really glad you're doing this. Keep up the good work!

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:30:40 AM

I think it's a bad idea to have all your Ƀ on 1 address, what if you won the lottery and randomly pulled that address when you made a new one? If I were them I would have no more than Ƀ1k per address.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:36:03 AM

Subjective. Your goatee could be thought of as an embarrassment as well.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 04:46:51 AM

I think it's a bad idea to have all your Ƀ on 1 address, what if you won the lottery and randomly pulled that address when you made a new one? If I were them I would have no more than Ƀ1k per address.

Winning the lottery: 1 in 10^7
Taking the money from that address: 1 in 10^140

Hmm, only 20 times harder.

Math is so hard!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:49:19 AM

Math is so hard!

it is still possible and its never a bad idea to be safe than sorry.

Quantumplation

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:49:42 AM

Math is so hard!

Apparently math is hard, because it's actually 10^133 times harder.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:29:12 AM

Math is so hard!

Apparently math is hard, because it's actually 10^133 times harder.
Turn on your sarcasm meter Grin
Kman54

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:47:03 AM

This is true, this forum is doing nothing to help the market and its been trolled harder then I've seen any forum trolled.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:17:53 PM

This is true, this forum is doing nothing to help the market and its been trolled harder then I've seen any forum trolled.

what do u expect?  there's money involved.
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 01:51:46 PM

There is nothing odd at all about this. He's just transferring most of MtGox's coins off-site. That means that you won't be able to access these funds even if you had root access to his server. This is a GOOD thing. In fact, I'd be worried if we DIDN'T see this.
MagicalTux is a smart guy, if he really wanted to consolidate all the coins he would probably have dispatched them to multiple addresses.
Because even if highly unlikely address collisions could occur, but a better reason would be to not leak so much information, because with that transfer I can see how much money was sent in, at what time it was sent in etc.

Again, I'm just curious

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: